My boss offered me a raise, I said only if I get a 5mill bonus as well

There is a thing in the game that has been annoying me to no end. If I want to increase the wage of my players, I have to negotiate an entirely new contract with sign-on fees and bonuses, even if the contract isn't extended. 

How absurd is this? You offer a player 50% pay increase, no catches whatsoever, and he won't even consider it unless you give him and his agent 10 million quid as a bonus also.

Not only is it illogical, it's also an entirely incorrect depiction of the football world - there have been plenty of examples of players getting wage increases without extending their contract.

TLDR: If you want to give a player or staff member a pay increase, with no other changes, you shouldn't also have to pay them a huge sign-on fee.

8 minutes ago, KrookDale said:

TLDR: If you want to give a player or staff member a pay increase, with no other changes, you shouldn't also have to pay them a huge sign-on fee.

and you can do that but they may also reject your offer.

Presumably, the reason you are trying to up their wages is to reward them for great performances, and/or to stop other clubs coming in for them.

In either case, they are entitled to re-negotiate their contract as expectations have clearly changed from when you first agreed one. This is obvious, as you wouldn't be giving them a pay rise for nothing (that would be the illogical and unrealistic bit).

I would also be interested in the real life examples of a player getting a pay rise, with absolutely no other change to a contract, not bonus, clause, fee or anything else! Agents are also entitled to a share if that happens, and they aren't often known to forego their cut.

But, I routinely extend contracts for the same/less wages, and after negotiating you can up pay without too much problem on the same contract if you want. Unless the player has every right to want a huge rise in all terms, in which case it would be unrealistic not to ask this for them.

TLDR: The only reason you would want to up a players pay is to ward off other clubs. In this position, the player has the bargaining power not you. Not signing the deal makes a move elsewhere more likely, where they can get bigger terms and signing fees than from you.

Archived