How many goalkeepers in 25 man registered squad?

I'm playing in Spanish league where only 25 registered players can play in league games.

I have two goalkeepers, a 31 year-old and a 25 year-old who are about equally good (last year they split time evenly)

I'm now buying a 21 year-old from a top EPL club who is my new scout's highest recommendation.  Eventually I'll sell one of the two guys and keep him as a backup/cuter starter.

My question is, in a 25 man registered squad, is it typical of real first division clubs or advisable for FM players to register two or three goalkeepers?   

Registering three seems like an unnecessary luxury when I have outfield players who would actually be contributing.  I guess my concern arose because the new hot shot young goalkeeper demanded rotation status when I signed him and I don't know if he's going to be pissed or if I'm breaking a promise if I don't register him.  I don't want to loan him out just yet because I want to tutor him.

I always go with three. Otherwise, if one of them gets a long term injury to run a big risk of having to play a lot of games with an outfield player as a GK if anything happens to the remaining guy. It's not likely to happen, but not that unlikely either. Balance is key.

I always have three with one being home grown from my reserves or under 18's I really wouldn't risk just the two. With Donnarumma at Milan all three of my keepers were home grown which meant I only had to find 1 more from the other 22 players which was handy.

In Spain you have to register players at the end of the transfer window or they can't play, so that excludes registering two and using a B team player as backup.  Under-19s, on the other hand, can play without being registered.  So that was my hope, to find a good enough under-19 to serve as my third goalkeeper in case of disaster, but my under-19s ares so pathetic I think an outfield player would be better.  I could buy a better under-19, but it would cost more than buying this hotshot 21-year old who I really believe will be a future first teamer.

So far it sounds like most people go with three goalkeepers unless they have a viable option to go with two (i.e., different registration rules where you can play a B team goalkeeper or you have a good enough under-19).

4 minutes ago, b28937 said:

ds like most people go with three goalkeepers unless they have a viable option to go with two (i.e., different registration rules where you can play a B team goalkeeper or you have a good enough under-19).

i think in england it is under 21 that players dont need registering if i remember rightly. so yeah, like you said that gives you plenty of room to have a third keeper unregistered and still be of fairly decent ability. 3 out of 25 does sound limiting for the rest of the squad

Unless they've change the rules you can use a B team player in the senior team, iirc they''er limited to 10 appearances at which point they can no longer play for the B team & need to be registered in the senior squad but as they're a 3rd choice keeper what are the chances of them making 10 appearances in a season?

Plus the game code will bail you out of you do not have a fit & available keeper by dropping a virtual (grey) player into your senior squad who should be good enough to not embarrass themself.

18 minutes ago, Barside said:

Unless they've change the rules you can use a B team player in the senior team, iirc they''er limited to 10 appearances at which point they can no longer play for the B team & need to be registered in the senior squad but as they're a 3rd choice keeper what are the chances of them making 10 appearances in a season?

Plus the game code will bail you out of you do not have a fit & available keeper by dropping a virtual (grey) player into your senior squad who should be good enough to not embarrass themself.

I'm wondering if they changed the rules, because I've read posts in various FM forums about using B team players like you say, but they are dated back in 2012-13.

These are the rules currently listed in the game:

58b9d708abc10_ScreenShot2017-03-03at1_47_30PM.thumb.png.c04b8c6d82581a1a5dd52695bace5a24.png58b9d71244cd5_ScreenShot2017-03-03at1_48_03PM.thumb.png.ea4e5099d0220ce37cea6cf6ad43fbbe.png

Nothing in the B team registration rules in the team screen view that seem applicable.  The B team "plays" in an unplayable semi-professional league so there no way to pull up the rules for that division.

58b9e18960137_ScreenShot2017-03-03at2_32_11PM.thumb.png.ac6abac957dcaddea33ac8969141c8c5.png

Once it's time to register, I'll play around and see if the B team rule somehow still applies in Spain.  This will be our first year promoted to the top division, so if disaster strikes and both my GKs get injured leaving me with a grey replacement, we'll definitely get relegated and I'll get sacked.  I suppose wasting a registration spot is worth the peace of mind (Murphy's Law, if you register a third you'll never need him, if you register two they'll definitely both get injured).  It will be best for his development anyway.

Well this is good.  Now that the schedule has been released, it looks like the B team registration rules are still in effect in Spain.  This makes a huge difference.  Thanks for putting me on watch for it.

58ba0216c4875_ScreenShot2017-03-03at4_49_14PM.thumb.png.aacb03602fab820a3ac2ed05cafd524f.png

For some reason I have a feeling you're playing as Valencia (because of the goalies ages). Register two and call out your B team's keeper (he must be U19 though) if you ever need a third keeper. Sampdoria have a great 17-year old Latvian keeper who can be picked up on a free (you'll have to pay compensation though, but he's five star rated- PA- for Valencia so he's definitely worth it) if your B team's goalie isn't U19 (but tbh with his potential I'd get him anyway).

Archived