Work permit lost?

Okay so I have a save with Preston North End and have just finished the 2018/19 season, my first in the Premier League and finished 17th. Before the 2017/18 season started I signed a player by the name of Andres Tello, a young (is now 22 years old) central midfielder from Colombia on a free transfer after his contract with Juventus expired. He was my starting MC in my first season and player more often than not in his second season. His contract is expiring and I have tried numerous times to offer him a new one but it says that he has failed to get a work permit, how does that work I thought he already had one I have had him for two seasons? 

Is there anyway to fix this?

EDIT: Other info that might be of use - he hasn't been capped by Colombia but has 12 U20 caps, I have not reached the Brexit stage yet. He is fluent in English and has 1125 days to gain UK citizenship

Having a permit already is irrelevant ...

Every time a contract is signed, he has to pass the permit criteria.. he's obviously not passing anymore...  

It's a point system.. if you go to your league rules page it will describe the process for you.

As Welshace said, its on points. Just because they're already in the UK doesn't mean they're guaranteed a WP.  

Post Hard brexit, signed a good GK from Denmark, got WP on appeal, long contract, but towards the end of it i couldnt renew because for his country, he was only 2nd choice... 

Archived