Contract, bug or intended?

One of my players contract were 6 months from expiry, and so other clubs could make him an offer.

But there is a clause in his contract, with 1 year extension after 15 league games. 

The player had at the moment played 13 league games, but then accepted an offer from Roma. After 2 more games, the extension didn't apply.

Is this intended, or a bug?

Hmmm not sure on that one.

I've seen a similar situation in my save.

I signed a player on a bosman in the January where the club had an optional one year extension on his contract.  The player agreed terms with me to join in July and everything seemed to be straight forward but around April/May his club activated the optional extension and my bosman deal was cancelled.

Not sure what would happen IRL in either situation.

• SI Staff

I would think that once the player has agreed pre-contract terms with another club and that contract has been signed, then any performance/appearance related contract extensions on his deal with his current club should be void. That is how I would expect it to work.

Personally I have never heard of a situation IRL where a player has agreed to join a club on a bosman, only for that deal to fall through further down the line due to the player meeting a contract extension milestone at his current club. 

Cheers,

Ben

1 minute ago, Ben Kenney said:

I would think that once the player has agreed pre-contract terms with another club and that contract has been signed, then any performance/appearance related contract extensions on his deal with his current club should be void. That is how I would expect it to work.

Personally I have never heard of a situation IRL where a player has agreed to join a club on a bosman, only for that deal to fall through further down the line due to the player meeting a contract extension milestone at his current club. 

Cheers,

Ben

I did think it was a little odd Ben the only thing I would say was I got a news item about it so someone in SI has gone to the trouble to create an actual news message relating to it.

From a contractual/legal standpoint, this is actually a very interesting question. I'm sure this possibility is covered in actual contracts signed by actual players, but as to how it is or should be implemented in the game is another thing.

It's an interesting scenario.  I'd imagine IRL there would be clauses in the new contract that would make the appearance clause in the first contract obsolete.  So I would imagine that the new contract would be legally binding.

IRL, I guess the player will be in for a lot of trouble... If they activate the clause, by July he'll be under contract with two different clubs... Figo once signed two contracts, one with Parma and one with Juventus, and as a result he was banned from Italian football (for a couple of years IIRC) and ended up at Barcelona (there are worse things in life, but still...).

How could this be implemented in the game? Three non mutually exclusive scenarios:

1. His agent refuses to enter into contract talks "because my client has an optional 1-year contract extension clause with his current club and we need to find out if they're willing to activate it".

2. The agent goes to the player's current club and says "how about we give you some money if you don't activate the clause?"

3. The agent warns the club that they better submit a formal offer "because my client has an optional..."

9 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Hmmm not sure on that one.

I've seen a similar situation in my save.

I signed a player on a bosman in the January where the club had an optional one year extension on his contract.  The player agreed terms with me to join in July and everything seemed to be straight forward but around April/May his club activated the optional extension and my bosman deal was cancelled.

Not sure what would happen IRL in either situation.

Interesting. I assume this is on FM17?

Awhile ago i started a thread about a similar situation, but from the other side. I had a player with an optional extension clause in his contract. Somewhere in the last six months of his contract I got an inbox message that he was in talks with another club, but I didn't act on it, because I thought I could still activate the option to extend at any time before his contract with my club expired. I was surprised to learn that the option was not available anymore after he had agreed a pre-contract with the other club.

I'll have to try and find my earlier thread to be certain, but I think this was on FM16. If so, this appears to have changed between editions.

In my game i cant offer a pre contract agreement to players that have 6 or less months left on their current deal. But from what i remember i was able to with a foreign player playing in a foreign league. So is it just in England where this is no longer possible?

Just now, cns180784 said:

In my game i cant offer a pre contract agreement to players that have 6 or less months left on their current deal. But from what i remember i was able to with a foreign player playing in a foreign league. So is it just in England where this is no longer possible?

in England, before Brexit, it has to be 30 days iirc foreign players can be 6 months, but if you're both based England then 30 days... 

3 minutes ago, rinso said:

in England, before Brexit, it has to be 30 days iirc foreign players can be 6 months, but if you're both based England then 30 days... 

Ok so i'd have to wait until 30 days before a players deal ends before i can offer a pre contract deal...and this is due to Brexit? strange...whats the reason behind it?

Just now, cns180784 said:

Ok so i'd have to wait until 30 days before a players deal ends before i can offer a pre contract deal...and this is due to Brexit? strange...whats the reason behind it?

Nah sorry, didnt explain very well... 

Who are you managing and what year is it and has Brexit happened??? 

in a pre-Brexit world, if you're managing in England, and your target is based in England, then you have to wait til 30 days before their contract expiry. 

If you've had brexit then all bets are off, and depends on what kind of brexit you had.. 

19 hours ago, ralala said:

One of my players contract were 6 months from expiry, and so other clubs could make him an offer.

But there is a clause in his contract, with 1 year extension after 15 league games. 

The player had at the moment played 13 league games, but then accepted an offer from Roma. After 2 more games, the extension didn't apply.

Is this intended, or a bug?

@Ben Kenney  Should there not be an option to talk to the player and say you want him to stay and will "promise" to trigger the extension clause? 

7 minutes ago, rinso said:

Nah sorry, didnt explain very well... 

Who are you managing and what year is it and has Brexit happened??? 

in a pre-Brexit world, if you're managing in England, and your target is based in England, then you have to wait til 30 days before their contract expiry. 

If you've had brexit then all bets are off, and depends on what kind of brexit you had.. 

Oh ok its just that there was a time in England when players could be offered pre contracts 6 months before their current deal was up...when did it change? i'm currently managing Notts County in League 2. The date i'm at in game is 22nd March 2017 only 7 days ahead of real life.

There was no message mentioning Brexit or anything.

2 minutes ago, cns180784 said:

Oh ok its just that there was a time in England when players could be offered pre contracts 6 months before their current deal was up...when did it change? i'm currently managing Notts County in League 2. The date i'm at in game is 22nd March 2017 only 7 days ahead of real life.

There was no message mentioning Brexit or anything.

its been t hat way for a while if you're both in England, couldn't tell you the exact date, but I know it is... You're well before Brexit so no issues with that... Just out of interest, what was the last version of FM you played before FM17? 

7 minutes ago, cns180784 said:

Oh ok its just that there was a time in England when players could be offered pre contracts 6 months before their current deal was up...when did it change?

Years ago. 

Brexit affects it this year if you get a situation where the Bosman rule is scrapped, meaning in England, you can't ever approach a player from another English club on a pre-contract deal. You'd have to wait till the player leaves the club or buy them out of a (usually) month to month contract. Although I got a soft Brexit on my save, this was a side effect of it. 

36 minutes ago, rinso said:

its been t hat way for a while if you're both in England, couldn't tell you the exact date, but I know it is... You're well before Brexit so no issues with that... Just out of interest, what was the last version of FM you played before FM17? 

The only FM i never bought was 2009 and i only bought 2008 a few years ago just to see what it was like and how different it was to 2007 (almost no difference i found. Just played a few friendles with Villa and then left it).

I'll be totally honest i've never stuck at an English save in FM before quitting and starting a new save before the January transfer window due to either getting bored, or losing patience from doing c**p. In fact the only saves where i've done multiple seasons before was with Boca Juniors in FM 2007 and Sporting Lisbon in FM 2012. But now i'm a changed man and vow to stick at one save through thick and thin. In the save i'm doing now i was previously sacked by Villa and was then offered the Notts County job and despite how poorly my time with Villa went, in contrast with Notts County i've took them from 6 points off relegation to only separated from the playoffs by goal difference (currently 8th in league 2- started 19th) in 12 games and theres' 8 games left and i'm hopeful of an automatic promotion spot but we'll see. Havent lost a game yet but have had to come from behind in numerous games (ending up winning).

So that above explains why i was baffled with the pre contract talks- at least for English based teams and players.

41 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Years ago. 

Brexit affects it this year if you get a situation where the Bosman rule is scrapped, meaning in England, you can't ever approach a player from another English club on a pre-contract deal. You'd have to wait till the player leaves the club or buy them out of a (usually) month to month contract. Although I got a soft Brexit on my save, this was a side effect of it. 

I would imagine with Brexit also, that with England being out of the EU that all players not trained in the UK or have dual nationality will be foreign and need a work permit? so would be harder to build a dominant side.

iirc the contract thing came into force whenever the Bosman rule happened, that's why I was asking

Re Brexit, it entirely depends which one you get. Soft Brexit generally means no changes, or very few. Hard Brexit means EVERYONE that's not English needs a WP lol 
Even applies to players that are already based in England... 

3 minutes ago, rinso said:

iirc the contract thing came into force whenever the Bosman rule happened, that's why I was asking

Re Brexit, it entirely depends which one you get. Soft Brexit generally means no changes, or very few. Hard Brexit means EVERYONE that's not English needs a WP lol 
Even applies to players that are already based in England... 

Jesus..but surely not for Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish players? as they're part of the UK.

10 hours ago, cns180784 said:

Jesus..but surely not for Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish players? as they're part of the UK.

I got a very hard Brexit scenario where Scotland and Northern Ireland left the UK, so in my save players from those countries need work permits to play in England.

Archived