Experimental (For me) tactic

I I'm on mobile  on mobile waiting outside my daughter's dojo, so no screenshots. 

I am a manager who almost literally always uses a dmc and 2 centerbacks- i.e. 4-1-4-1, 4-4-2 diamond, etc.

Currently playing in the Turkish 2nd level and my team is seriously deficient in centerbacks, so I have come up with this system:

GK: sk/support

DCL: dc/stopper (converted lb)

DC: dc/cover

DCR: dc/stopper (converted lb)

ML: dw/s  (gets further forward, roams)

MCL: cm/d

MCR: b2b/s 

MR: dw/d

AMC: amc/support  (holds up ball, roams, moves into channels, closes down much less, risky passes) - basically an advanced playmaker without attracting the ball

FCL: df/d

FCR: df/s

Team instructions: close down more, get stuck in, highest tempo, highest defensive line, work ball in box

Standard/ Very fluid

I built this from the back up. My second ans third best defenders were left backs, so I made them my stoppers. I have one good dc so he gets the job of cover. In my experiences with a stopper/ cover combo the cover position should go the best player if appropriate. I'm not sure yet if that rule of thumb applies to 3 at the back.

So after setting up my defence I looked at the wings - I have the players to play wingbacks, as in a 5-3-2. But my best player is a natural AML/R. So I decided to try defensive wingers, as I was afraid to try wingers or wide midfielders without defensive cover.

Since I was already in unfamiliar territory I decided to go for broke and try all the new concepts; thus, defensive forwards.

The midfield is pretty standard, I think.

The high tempo is because my team is physically inferior to most, and at slower tempos we just get stripped of the ball mercilessly. Very fluid was chosen to compress the team, to limit the gaps opponents might exploit.

In just four matches I must say I'm delighted with the way this tactic looks. Good possession stats, even with the crazy tempo, we are solid defensively, and we've had good results as an underdog - 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss.

I would like to try and generate more offense, though. I've thought about switching to control, and have actually tried that for stretches in a match. Most of my shots are from fairly long range.

Is it just a matter of waiting for my team to become proficient in the tactic? Or is there some tweak I should think about making. I know I have literally no players on attack duty. Perhaps swapping the b2b for a cm/a?

Thanks for reading, i look forward to your feedback. 

Archived