Close down less - that's not what I want!

Why do individual player instructions show that the player is closing down less or much less when the team instructions are set to close down much more?

I don't get why it contradicts the team instructions or why I can't change individuals to a higher closing down option.

Because you've selected a role/duty that has lower levels of closing down - ie generally a more defensive option.

EDIT

You also need to put it into perspective - Close down more than what?

Basically closing down will initially be set by the team mentality, you've then increased it by adding a TI which will give each individual player a baseline which is then finally adjusted by their role/duty & PI.

1 minute ago, MatchWinner said:

Well that's confusing.  So because my team instruction is set to "close down much more", an individual player set to "close down less" is really closing down quite a lot?  That is really misleading if that's the case.

Not really, its not rocket science and it even shows you the approx level on some of the tactics screens.

Your TI is close down much more than the default level for that team mentality.  An individual PI of close down less then reduces the closing down but again it depends on the level of closing down before you reduce it.

So for example if we use a scale of say 1-100.

An attacking team mentality might give you a starting point of say 70, you've added close down much more TI which will increase it to say 90.  So then 90 is the baseline for each individual player and then if you select a defensive duty with less closing down it might drop back to say 70.

Compare that to say a starting team mentality of defensive which might be say 30, you add close down much more TI which will increase it to say 50.  Now you have a much lower baseline for each individual player before selecting the role/duty/PIs.

On top of that the actually closing down on the pitch will also be affected by the individual player attributes, his motivation, how tired he is (his condition), his morale and the scoreline at the time.

Archived