Injuries should be treated with more variety: here are some examples

I believe the game is still somewhat lacking in the way injuries are handled, and I believe it should be made more variable. Also, I don't think this kind of development is difficult to put into practice. So here are some thoughts. Feedback is very welcome.

I'm going to write this out through a fictitious example, Player X getting injured in a match.

1) So, he gets injured at some point during a match. At the moment, the game doesn't really tell us what has happened, but as we all know, in real life there will be information very quickly. It will be rough information, but it will be relevant. As a manager, I am personally itching to know about the injury right away, but we don't get any info (at least I haven't been able to find it).

So, once Player X is injured, in approximately five minutes we should get a rough analysis as an in-match comment, particularly if the injury is obvious. A bad leg break, a broken jaw, a torn muscle - all these will be apparent. So, five minutes after the injury, we could get anything from "The initial prognosis is not good: Player X has almost certainly broken a leg" to "There appears to be no need for real worry, it is probably just a bruise; painful now but not a long-term problem". This way we could know at least something right away. Sometime after the match, we get the real diagnosis.

2) Recovery from injury is too straightforward at the moment. Nobody ever has a relapse, and nobody ever recovers unexpectedly quickly (this does happen in real life: some people can get very lucky in this respect). So, when player X has been away for two weeks of whatever, it should be possible to receive news items ranging from "Bad news for Player X. He broke down again in the early stages of his rehabilitation and will need to start recovery from scratch" to "Player X, who has really applied himself in the gym, appears able to return to contention almost a week earlier than initially thought. He is immensely pleased about this and raring to go."

Both of these possibilities should then be reflected in the player's happiness, according to their personality. And while on a physical level it is almost never true that "you come back stronger" from an injury, as athletes everywhere like to tell themselves and the world (it's a useful illusion, but that's what it is: an illusion), the second possibility described above could in some instances lead to an increase in the relevant mental stats and indeed strengthen the player's mental resilience.

3) If Player X is a major star or particularly important to the team, the press will pay extra attention to him after the injury, which may or may not produce stress, depending on how things go. For instance, if Player X scored 8 in 12 right before getting injured but manages only 1 in 6 afterwards, the press should pick up on this. "Player X is clearly struggling after returning from his injury woes. Could this indeed be the turning point of his career?" And again, some people can shrug this off or even become determined to prove the doubters wrong, while for others it can be a nightmare.

• 8 months later...

Archived