[Suggestion] More realistic newgen names

Fosse

In England newgens names are often unrealistic as there are disproportionate amount of middle aged man names like Steve, Paul, John, Gary and Robert etc. In reality 16 year olds are far more likely to be called names like Callum, Josh, George and Alfie.

I can't disagree with this idea, though I'm more concerned with the amount of newgens with names like Nigel, Trevor, Bill and Gordon. Those names seem to have suddenly become fashionable again in my FM13 save. (Heck, the England captain at Euro 2032 was a 30-year-old called Clive! Apparently, only nine babies born in England and Wales in 2002 were named Clive! :D)

Perhaps SI could figure out some sort of formula that would make the first names of younger players/staff in the FM database more likely to be used for newgens than the names of older staff members.

9 minutes ago, Enzu225 said:

Paul, John and Robert are more realistic than Callum or Alfie.

Not in this millennium. Alfie has consistently been one of the most popular boys' names in the UK for at least the last decade, whereas there are far fewer Pauls and Steves of school age nowadays.

Top 50 baby names in the UK 2001: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a547642/top-uk-baby-names-2001

For comparision

Steve: Not in top 50

Paul: Not in top 50

John: Not in top 50

Robert: 47th

Callum: 15th

Josh: 3rd

George: 16th

Alfie: Not in top 50

OP has a fair point I think if FM wants to be that realistic.

That said pretty sure its just coded randomly with a list of possible names so each should appear fairly evenly. 

Is it something to be bothered about? No, far more important things for SI to sort out IMO.

Names move in cycles, so it's not inconceivable we'll get a new generation of Nigels, Trevors and Clives, though maybe not until the late 2030s. Alfie was a horribly old-fashioned sounding name in the nineties until it became cool again. tbf it's not totally beyond SI's capabilities to make names cyclical as well as linked to ethnicity, but it's probably not top priority...

• 8 months later...

Archived