[SUGGESTION] no set position for youth intake players

luke100787

i would like to see some youth intake players having no set position so you could choose there position based on there attributes. i recently had a centr back that was 5 foot 7 with 4 jumping reach but good attributes to be a full back and also had a striker with 5 finishing but good tackling passing and vision i know i can retrain them but that takes time and as i understand it a player will never reach their full potential playing in an different position. i think in cases like that it would be better if they had no natural positon but instead when they come into your youth intake you would be given the option to look at the attributes and choose a position that would best suit them

Retraining a young player in a new position has no impact on whether they will reach their full potential, players can also grow so your short CB could end up being tall enough once he reaches adulthood while that striker could have the raw ability to be an excellent defensive forward.

On 07/04/2017 at 16:38, steorswe said:

It's not really realistic as the youth player will have played football for many years. He is going to have a natural position. You can simply retrain him if he's young enough.

Agree with this.

Although I do sympathise with the short CBs or even GKs but if you do have a CB who is too small then yes he can be retrained but he probably shouldn't have got to this point before being trained elsewhere so it's perhaps more a fault of the game. What I would like to see is a projection of how tall a player will be when they have stopped growing as that would give you an idea of how to proceed!

On 4/4/2017 at 21:41, luke100787 said:

i would like to see some youth intake players having no set position so you could choose there position based on there attributes. i recently had a centr back that was 5 foot 7 with 4 jumping reach but good attributes to be a full back and also had a striker with 5 finishing but good tackling passing and vision i know i can retrain them but that takes time and as i understand it a player will never reach their full potential playing in an different position. i think in cases like that it would be better if they had no natural positon but instead when they come into your youth intake you would be given the option to look at the attributes and choose a position that would best suit them

There was a guy last year sometime who posted up a great idea about Youth intake in a thread in General Discussion, not sure he ever came and posted the idea in here. It was along similar lines as your idea and made a lot of sense. I tried searching for it but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack :(

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fair suggestion... iRL some better than decent players...Rio Ferdinand, Carragher and Gerrard didn't have settled positions until well into18th yr. we're I get a promising regen i hope to have had them tutored, play a season at U23 and be loaned out before 19 yrs old. There was a Welsh lad too..who wasn't half bad once assigned a new role. I guess the aim of the suggestion would/could be to accelerate a player familiarity with a position changes more than we have currently for youth player. Hate seeing a capable player stuck on "accomplished" because moving from dm to cm gives them the jitters!

On 26/04/2017 at 22:57, Bigmonkey79 said:

It's a fair suggestion... iRL some better than decent players...Rio Ferdinand, Carragher and Gerrard didn't have settled positions until well into18th yr. we're I get a promising regen i hope to have had them tutored, play a season at U23 and be loaned out before 19 yrs old. There was a Welsh lad too..who wasn't half bad once assigned a new role. I guess the aim of the suggestion would/could be to accelerate a player familiarity with a position changes more than we have currently for youth player. Hate seeing a capable player stuck on "accomplished" because moving from dm to cm gives them the jitters!

Agree - there are many examples of players ending up in different positions to what they played at youth level so that needs to be better represented. I don't think players should come with no set position as this is also unrealistic. I think you're right about developing players into new positions, they should be more adaptable at a younger age and you should probably get suggestions from your staff that say, a young striker may actually develop into a better midfielder. 

22 minutes ago, borivoje213 said:

is accomplished the highest familiarity a player can be retrained to?

They can be retrained to natural but depending on the player, that next step may take a while.

You could have a declining figure for adaptability, a bit higher for 16-18, dropping 10% 19-23, and then again at about 25 once he is fully settled/grown etc.  Allowing you to mould an intake player as you read the stats from his natural postion to the one you think he'd flourish in.   Then a player personality/determination and a 'chat to' option that relies on your rep/his trust in you to see him grow into it. 

There could also be some players who simply have no set position, and it is up to the management team to figure out how he will best be deployed. Perhaps someone with great physical and or mental attributes, but relatively even technical ones.

good idea, sometimes I see bizarre things with  a young defender but with good finishing and a regular/low atts for def like marking and tackling. I think it could be optional, if a new young gets in the youth team, you could suggest him a better position different the "natural" he has chosen. And retrain him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 19:33, borivoje213 said:

is accomplished the highest familiarity a player can be retrained to?

Once a player reaches accomplished they need to play regularly in their new position to become a Natural. Although, as mentioned above it can take forever. I used to play with wing-backs, I had a player being accomplished at LWB play in the position for 4 or so seasons and he never became natural.

Becoming natural depends on hidden attributes like adaptability, if this value is low the player may never become natural in a new position even if he plays there for a long time, whereas highly adapting players can deelop new natural positions within 1,5/2 years.

• 6 months later...

Archived