Struggling to win as Chelsea

Although I am first in the premier league, this is mainly due to me restarting my game until I win, which I know isn't a good thing but sometimes I just cant help it, because its so frustrating seeing a decent team constantly lose.

I have watched many videos and tactical guides online but no matter what I try it never works, I don't like using plug and play tactics. I tried to keep this tactic rather simple as when I had too many instructions it was even worse.

When playing at home my team normally plays well in terms of possession and shots but we just never seem to be able to penetrate the defence and get the goals despite outplaying them, especially against teams lower down in the table, we play better but then they just sneak a goal.

When playing away no matter whom the opponent we always just play awfully.

I watch the match on comprehensive and try to figure out whats going on, to no avail. 

I really want to be able to get help as I love this game and just want to be able to do well.

thank you in advance. 

tactic.png

As for the roles and duties, echoing what has already been said:

- 4231 is a top heavy formation, you need to control the space in midfield or you'll be killed on the counter. BBM roams and makes aggressive forward runs and a BWM, even on defend duty, leaves his position closing down opponents.You need two players who can hold position there and control the space between your defenders and attackers.

- You have two wingers, who are going to run and cross... to a lone withdrawn striker (CF-su). If you are going to play a crossing game, you need bodies inside the box. Think also your wb-at will do the same job than your winger (run and cross). Isn't it redundant? Who is going to finish crosses? Expecting you are going to face very defensive teams, is crossing in a crowded box the best idea?

- Your AP can easily be disconnected from the game if the opponent has a DM, you need to give him mobility, space and passing options.

- Not really sure if you need a wb-at. A fb on support, on an aggressive mentality (control) can provide width without being over-aggressive, leaving too exposed your left flank.

I only see you countered all time.

@D_LO_Thank you for the help, so what I was thinking is changing kante to a centre midfield defend to provide a bit more discipline in the midfield, and then change Lewis Cook to a deep lying playmaker support or maybe defend, whats the best option? and drop Alonso to a full back support,

@looping so would you recommend me changing the roles of the wingers to something else? Or play a narrower game?

15 minutes ago, SilvC2001 said:

@D_LO_Thank you for the help, so what I was thinking is changing kante to a centre midfield defend to provide a bit more discipline in the midfield, and then change Lewis Cook to a deep lying playmaker support or maybe defend, whats the best option? and drop Alonso to a full back support,

@looping so would you recommend me changing the roles of the wingers to something else? Or play a narrower game?

You can play a crossing game but then you need to be able to finish crosses. You need bodies inside the box at the risk of over-crowding the box.  Before that, you need to get the ball inside the box. How is your crossing completed %? What kind of crosses are you using? Whipped crosses help against a crowded box. Do your players have the right attributes to cross at pace and with pace? Once you've crossed the ball, are your players able to win aerial duels?  Are Correa, Icardi, William the best options for that? Would use their flair, vision, pace and technical skills a better idea instead?

I have changed the roles that I said I was going to change and that has worked well, I have a 13% cross completion rate, I have noticed when crossing the ball often comes off the first man and rarely makes it into the box, icardi is capable of winning headers and sometimes hazard can sneak a header at the back post but that's about it. I currently just use mixed crosses so I will change this to whipped, but the main problem seems to be actually getting the ball into the box.

Cooks passing is 16, first touch 15, composure 16, and vison 14, so in my opinion a good player for this role, he is also capable in the tackle. I Have changed my left winger to an inside forward and I have played two matches and things seem to be better.

Thank you both for your help.

Do you have any rough tips on how to analyse whats going wrong within the tactic? for example I wouldn't of thought about changing the midfield roles, and I would just like some tips or maybe there is a guide on the forums that teaches you how to analyse your tactic and fix what is going wrong.

Archived