Changing Team Instructions every game

In football manager, I'm a fan of making sure my roles and duties are spot on, and then keeping team instructions minimal. I'm wondering if I should start with 0 instructions each game and just tweak depending on what needs to be changed during the game, or set up a style suitable for my team and keeping the instructions the same, what's the best way to do it? 

I played with no team instructions with standard mentality. But i have two other tactics; one was attacking mentality with wide play, very fluid, much higher tempo, closing down much more, get stuck in, be more expressive, roam from positions, more direct passing, the other tactic was defensive mentality with narrow play, highly structured, much lower tempo, closing down much less, stay on feet, shorter passing, be more disciplined, stick to positions. 

In a match i didn't change to other two tactics and simulated my main tactic to my two backup tactics depending on what needs to be changed.

I'm not a fun of playing with the same tactical instructions or mentality for every game. There are five main styles of play in the game; defensive, counter, standard, control, attacking. Playing with the same style and instructions to different playing teams may not be the best way to succeed.

I will make changes if my team needs a change when the match is going on. Playing with the same tactical options can also be boring.

There's no right way or wrong way. At the end of the day every match is unique. Regardless of if you start with no instructions or with a set of instructions based on a style, you are likely going to have to change something during a match. An what you have to change one match may not be what needs to be changed during the next.

On 08/04/2017 at 07:31, SilvC2001 said:

In football manager, I'm a fan of making sure my roles and duties are spot on, and then keeping team instructions minimal. I'm wondering if I should start with 0 instructions each game and just tweak depending on what needs to be changed during the game, or set up a style suitable for my team and keeping the instructions the same, what's the best way to do it? 

FYI the AI does change roles/duties, mentality and shape in a game. When its trying to unlock you it could change, when its trying to hold a lead, it will change. Even after all this, do you think you want to play a match where you don't make any changes? 

Personally I think TIs are important, but not as important as role/duty & mentality are. I use TIs to further style my brand of football, and one or two TIs might change during the game if I consider that my approach is too risky (for example high defensive line, closing down, width etc) or too cautious.

No I just wanted opinions on what you thought was the best idea, I'm fully up to tweaking my tactics I just never know what to change because I only play with two instructions which are shorter passing and roam from position, and if this is working I become worried about changing it because that's the style of play I like and if it's working I never know what to tweak to keep the opposition manager guessing and stopping my tactic from becoming predictable 

Archived