What the hell is wrong with tactics in this game?

Nothing seems to work at all consistently, and then after three seasons I finally find a tactic that works and I scrape fourth place with Everton, start of next season I lose the first four games in a row badly and then have to start experimenting again and i'm back to square one. I cannot do well in the league as by the time I find another tactic, the top 4 are too far ahead of me.

Why is this happening!!! If this is just the game its outrageous, nothing works for more than six months!

1 hour ago, Maaaaaardy said:

Nothing seems to work at all consistently, and then after three seasons I finally find a tactic that works and I scrape fourth place with Everton, start of next season I lose the first four games in a row badly and then have to start experimenting again and i'm back to square one. I cannot do well in the league as by the time I find another tactic, the top 4 are too far ahead of me.

Why is this happening!!! If this is just the game its outrageous, nothing works for more than six months!

FM is no longer a game where you can plug in one tactic and expect it to work all the time. You need to develop a base that works well but then adapt it frequently depending on which of your players are available and who you're playing.

It's actually trickier with a mid-table team like Everton than it is with a top or bottom team. Due to the fact that Everton are a mid-table side this means that some weeks you'll be against bigger teams who will look to attack you more and some weeks you'll be against smaller teams who will sit back and look to hit you on the counter. If you try to play the same tactic against both then you'll probably manage to get it working pretty well against one style of play but it will completely fall apart against the other.

As for your problem of a tactic working in one season but not in the next, that's again a case of not adapting to how your opposition are playing. You've just had a great season, so other clubs now view you as a better team and a bigger threat so now more teams are sitting back, defending deep and looking to play counter-attacking football, so now there are weaknesses being exploited in your tactic that were less apparent last season because less teams were playing that style of football against you.

I think your title is wrong. Do you mean "What the hell is wrong with my tactics in this game?"

The most constructive way of getting a good understanding for building a solid system is to post in the tactics forum, showing your current setup and asking for help.

This game is supposed to be a simulation of being a football manager, football managers change their tactics from game to game or even during a game in response to the players in your team, the opposition or how a game is panning out.  No manager is able to set a tactic and expect it to last all season.  FM is becoming more realistic in this respect, and that can only be a good thing

6 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

This game is supposed to be a simulation of being a football manager, football managers change their tactics from game to game or even during a game in response to the players in your team, the opposition or how a game is panning out.  No manager is able to set a tactic and expect it to last all season.  FM is becoming more realistic in this respect, and that can only be a good thing

Unless you're Arsene Wenger, that is, and we all know how well it's panning out for him ;)

You don't have to make changes game to game to do well.

I never change anything or pay any attention to the opposition and I've done well with various teams at different levels.

If you have to make changes every game to avoid underachieving then your set up is crap.

You can still have a plug and play tactic to a degree, but the difference is you need to make small tweaks here and there and maybe have a similar formation you can switch too. When you notice your tactic is struggling just change something, don't wait 4 games just make some minor changes to what your prevalent issues are.

Archived