GPU Usage and Temps

Hi guys,

FM is producing some really weird performance from my graphics card. The temperature reaches 70 degrees on the 2D engine but my fan speed never goes higher than 750rpm. In comparison, when I'm playing something like GTA or BF1, the temperature stays around 65 degrees but the fans kick in and are often up to 1800rpm.

I've installed the latest drivers for my RX480 card but it hasn't changed anything. Is there something I am missing in FM's settings or is the game just not optimised for me card?

You sure it's the graphic card temps spiking and not the general temp of your computer? I have an RX 470 and the fan never kicks in nor does the temp rise that high. Check your CPU cooling as the game is CPU intense and depending on how your cooling is set if your CPU isn't being cooled correctly it might not be expelling enough heat from the CPU meaning the GPU is drawing in warm air. You can also change the fan profile in the AMD driver to have it kick on at a lower temp as by default the fans don't kick in until a fairly high temp.

On 24/04/2017 at 23:03, michaeltmurrayuk said:

You sure it's the graphic card temps spiking and not the general temp of your computer? I have an RX 470 and the fan never kicks in nor does the temp rise that high. Check your CPU cooling as the game is CPU intense and depending on how your cooling is set if your CPU isn't being cooled correctly it might not be expelling enough heat from the CPU meaning the GPU is drawing in warm air. You can also change the fan profile in the AMD driver to have it kick on at a lower temp as by default the fans don't kick in until a fairly high temp.

My cpu temps are around 30 degrees, they rarely go higher than that. I have a Hyper 212 evo directly on the CPU and then three intake fans on the front, one exhaust fan on the back and two exhaust fans on top.

Perhaps the temp sensors or the hardware monitor I am using is faulty, but it only seems so when playing FM.

I've also had a play with the 'Profile Wattman' settings in the AMD software but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'll keep testing and see what I can come up with. 

Thank you for your help. 

Archived