Athletic Bilbao South American players

Iv'e asked this on a different forum but nobody could come up with a decent answer so ill try here

If you are Athletic then your scouting options are limited due the self imposed policy, however as a few may know you are able to sign Espericueta (Mexican) and Diego Forlan (Uruguay ) so there are clearly players of South American descent which technically qualify by being partially Basque so there in lies my question/problem

Is there any way of finding out just how many more possible gems could be lying out there in South America because in real life it probably is'nt that unusual with all of the spanish speaking countries

There's scouts that have knowledge of the Pays Basque area, hire some and the players will appear.

I'm sure they had amorebieta who went onto Fulham who was from Venezuela and he was Basque.

18 hours ago, Bilbaoboy said:

Iv'e asked this on a different forum but nobody could come up with a decent answer so ill try here

If you are Athletic then your scouting options are limited due the self imposed policy, however as a few may know you are able to sign Espericueta (Mexican) and Diego Forlan (Uruguay ) so there are clearly players of South American descent which technically qualify by being partially Basque so there in lies my question/problem

Is there any way of finding out just how many more possible gems could be lying out there in South America because in real life it probably is'nt that unusual with all of the spanish speaking countries

Also Diego Forlan played for Athletico Madrid, not Bilboa.

4 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Also Diego Forlan played for Athletico Madrid, not Bilboa.

Forlan has Basque descent like the OP is talking about. Anyone know if South American regens generate with Basque heritage?

13 hours ago, Argonaut said:

Forlan has Basque descent like the OP is talking about. Anyone know if South American regens generate with Basque heritage?

Ahh my bad sorry man. Not sure about the regens getting Basque tho.

33 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Ahh my bad sorry man. Not sure about the regens getting Basque tho.

Regens must get Basque heritage, at least those who come through the Athletic academy and presumably those born in the area (both Spanish and French Basque countries). Don't know about further afield though.

Well i went into the editor and filtered Basque nationality added with based in south america and there are only a few and all of them are useless so shame about that, Although there is a player in the inter milan u19s called Eboku who is basque and he is actually pretty decent

• 2 weeks later...

FM doesn't simulate Athletic's philosophy 100%.

Athletic can sign, basque born players and non basque players developed in the Basque Country. Athletic have african and south american players in the youth system and they are not basque or basque related, just people who migrated to the Basque Country. Also there are spanish or french players (Valverde, Ezquerro, Laporte) who are not from the Basque Country but have developed as players in a basque team.

What FM does is allow you to sign only spanish players before they turn 17. So my advice is try to sign the best 15/16 yo players and good luck with their development. As soon as they turn 17 in your youth squads, they will gain the basque nationality.

1 hour ago, Ricotero_uy said:

Regen are usually young players created by the game season after season. Don't know if they substitute retired players, I think it depends on each country strength.

I know what regens are.. I just asked if Eboku is real player.. 

3 hours ago, Saras-13-Bodiroga said:

I know what regens are.. I just asked if Eboku is real player.. 

Sorry, didn't understand you. Yes he's real. http://www.inter.it/it/settore_giovanile/under-17-serie-a-e-b

Moises Eboko Cordoba. Looks like he's from Valencia, may be as a 16yo you can buy him and he will gain the basque nationality.

2 hours ago, Ricotero_uy said:

Sorry, didn't understand you. Yes he's real. http://www.inter.it/it/settore_giovanile/under-17-serie-a-e-b

Moises Eboko Cordoba. Looks like he's from Valencia, may be as a 16yo you can buy him and he will gain the basque nationality.

Thank you!! If he has no Basque origins I have no aim to buy him

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2017 at 21:55, Saras-13-Bodiroga said:

Thank you!! If he has no Basque origins I have no aim to buy him

LOL fair play you keep it authentic that is very hard esp this year the amount of good basque players available is very low

On 18/8/2017 at 02:50, Bilbaoboy said:

LOL fair play you keep it authentic that is very hard esp this year the amount of good basque players available is very low

I dont even sign a player with Basque origins if he wasn't born in Basque and has signed a professional contract somewhere out of Basque area like the case of Asensio! I have faith on Lezama and on "gure estiloa"(our style) !!!  The moto of Athletic Club is"Con cantera y afición, no hace falta importación"(with our academy and our fans there is no need for imports)

14 hours ago, Saras-13-Bodiroga said:

I dont even sign a player with Basque origins if he wasn't born in Basque and has signed a professional contract somewhere out of Basque area like the case of Asensio! I have faith on Lezama and on "gure estiloa"(our style) !!!  The moto of Athletic Club is"Con cantera y afición, no hace falta importación"(with our academy and our fans there is no need for imports)

I play in the same way. I don't think FM does a great job of incorporating Athletic's transfer policy, but at least you can choose to do it this way if you want. If you support/follow the club, it's a massive part of the clubs identity and it's important for me to play it true to life.

Archived