[Match Engine Request] Central Midfielders Instructions

SebastianRO

I always felt that this was 1 HUGE thing missing from FM and it's time for it to come. Central Midfielders should have more options to tick, like: instruct them to cut outside (dribble from middle to the flanks). This way they can open space for a Regista or for a roaming playmaker in the DM position. Once they are close to the touchline they can easily be supported by the fullbacks / wingers / etc. In my opinion, the Central Midfielders's instruction are lacking big big time. In real life we see this scenario every game / 10 times / game: The CM dribbles wide , he passes to an overlapping full-back, the full-back then passes the ball back to the CM (who now has reached the final third - but WIDE) and then the CM can cross a ball to the far post. This almost never happens in FM for 2 reasons:

1. If you play 2 CM's they stay too narrow, way too narrow. Neither of them are close to the outer edges of the opponent's 16 yard box, so they won't cross a ball. And another consequence of this, is that the FB / Wingback doesnt have support near him, resulting in him being isolated.

2. If they dribble, they are doing it inside and even if they do it to the flanks, their focus is to get the ball to the inside anyway.

You have done a good job introducing new roles and stuff over the past few years, but seriously, this sort of implementation for the CM's is absolutly game changing from a tactical standpoint. Besides, it's just real football, this is not some fantasy request. This is part of how CM's play , especially in Premier League (and maybe in other divisions in English football). In the end I want to thank you for the great game that FM17 is and I can only hope FM18 will be just as good and it won't be anything like FM16 :)

The ability to instruct a central midfielder to "cross more" and "run wide with ball" is also the easiest, most exploit-free way to allow players to replicate some of the more flexible tactical setups in operation where defensive shape looks quite different from attacking shape

See also: 

Similarly, a defensive instruction to pay particular attention to covering one (or both) flanks (if, for example, you want your DMC to patrol the area in front of the back four but cover for an attacking left back every time you go forward) would be useful

@enigmatic I know that the option "Cross More" exists for CM's, but even if you tick it, it will 80% of the time cross from deep, not from the left side or right side of the 16 yard box. The rest of the 20% of the time he will cross it for an overlapping fullback on the other side of the pitch. The reason I mentioned both the crossing and the instruction to make him stay wider is for this to work in conjunction with each other.

I agree and especially think that MCR/MCL positions in a three man midfield should have those instructions available (run with the ball wide, cross more often), possibly a whole new role (the typical 'mezzala' or 'central winger').

2 hours ago, kandersson said:

I agree and especially think that MCR/MCL positions in a three man midfield should have those instructions available (run with the ball wide, cross more often), possibly a whole new role (the typical 'mezzala' or 'central winger').

Exactly my thaughts. It could also be useful in just a duo partership just in case there is a Regista behind them. One of them could drift to a flank, leaving the Regista space to exploit.

The modern CM very seldom stays just in the middle of the pitch, the only one to do that is normally DM as he's there to win the ball or act as cover. CM's nowadays roam but on FM the are very rigid and rarely go wider than the edge of the 18 yd box.

1 minute ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

Try playing a wide-midfielder on support having him sit narrow and run wide with ball, possibly man mark one of the opposition central midfielders so he defends centrally. Obviously won't be as successful as the proper role but worth a try.

The problem with that is getting a wide midfielder with all the attributes of a CM, they're generally not as good at passing, tackling etc.

5 minutes ago, jc1 said:

The problem with that is getting a wide midfielder with all the attributes of a CM, they're generally not as good at passing, tackling etc.

Try retraining a CM to that position after about a season of retraining and playing I that position they will become almost fluid there.

7 hours ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

Try retraining a CM to that position after about a season of retraining and playing I that position they will become almost fluid there.

I did this last week. I was in my 2nd season at WBA and I started to use James Morisson on the right flank with instructins to Sit Narrower, Get Further Forward and Cross More Often . It was decent, but this can only work in some cases (when you have a good CM that can also play on the wing). Another very good player who could o this (haven't tried yet) is Giacomo Bonaventura.

• 7 months later...

Archived