Poor players for this league... what can I do?

Hi all, need some suggestions on how to compete at Championship level (England) when I have mainly League 2 and League 1 players. I seem to have got promoted with Cambridge too quickly and I am losing nearly every game.

Record is played 10, lost 7, drew 2 and won 1... And most of the games have been by a single goal and I am taking the lead a lot of the time.

One example, team close to me in the table (Preston) away from home, we went 1-0 up, then my goalkeeper comes out for a cross, makes a hash of in, they are back level. We go 2-1 and deservedly so, but again, minutes later, 2-2. In the 2nd half a close game is a goal scored inside near post, which I am annoyed my keeper didn't save.

I have lots of games where they are ruthless in front of goal and simply are not. Every match we are creating lots of chances, just as many as last season where we got promoted when we probably shouldn't have based on the playing staff I had. This season is proving a step too far and I am worried I'll go back down.

One positive, which I am struggling to explain, in the League cup we are now in the 4th round after beating Crystal Palace 4-0... who were way above anything we've played in terms of quality so far.

I couldn't sign hardly players as 1. We don't have much money & 2. We have the lowest club reputation in the league. Players I was trying to sign, were going to same level or one league lower clubs...

I am lost as to what to try now, none of the games have we had much luck, but the harsh reality is we aren't clinical enough compared to our opponents in both boxes...

Anyone who's been in a similar position or can offer any advice, much appreciated.

Archived