Just play like Dagenham

Had a chance to watch football on tv Sunday. Very rare for me. Sky had Liverpool on, as a Evertonian never my idea of fun. But they were  showing the Vanarame play-off between Forest Green & Dagenham. Before Sunday couldn't even tell you where Dagenham was. Kent/ Essex I think?

Then they interviewed the Dagenham manager John Still. What a legend. Genuine bloke & after endless Moanriniho & "I didn't see it" Wenger, non interviews it was such a joy. Honest bloke being honest. Said all we can do is play like Dagenham & if it's good enough great if not well that's football. 

Stopped my Birmingham save immediately, started as Dagenham & Redbridge. First thing I did was change  the stadium name to the John Still Arena & wont stop until we do the Premiership & Champions League double. Might take a while if honest.

Googled the area. It's near the old Boleyn Road ground. Even better because as far as I'm concerned as (another) part of football died the day West Ham swopped that fabulous place for the totally soulless Olympic Stadium.

Well give em Daggers

Dagenham is East London/Essex. Tiny club really, punched well above their weight the last 7/8 years but John Still is a hero over there. I used to go and watch on the Saturdays when West Ham weren't at home but stopped when they went up into League 2 as I didn't want to seem like a bandwagon fan.

Also started my current game with them and would advise making Corey Whitely your main man, and giving plenty of game time to Frankie Raymond and Leo Donnelan who were both brilliant for me.

As for the note about the London Stadium being soulless, I'd give a listen to the noise we made when Lanzini scored on Friday night ;).

It's always nice to see another Dagenham & Redbridge manager around.

I've had a soft spot for the Daggers since I was growing up, as they're fairly local to me (indeed, they were the nearest Football League team to my house prior to their relegation). I was genuinely disappointed to hear that they lost the Play-Off Semi Final last weekend, but I'm sure they'll bounce back into the FL sooner rather than later.

I started managing Dagenham about 10 seasons into an FM13 save, after they were relegated to the Conference Premier. I wrote a story about my progress with them, which you can find here if you're interested, and I am still playing the save to this day. I have never enjoyed managing a team on FM more than the Daggers - and to be honest, I don't think I ever will.

Used them back in Fifa 09 and took them to Premier League glory. No great feat because you can assemble a world class squad in a couple seasons in Fifa, but still fun. I picked them because they were in the lowest playable league with the best possible name. "Dag & Red". Perfect.

Never gave them a go in FM, but wouldn't mind it someday. They have a new logo which looked silly to me at first but it's grown on me some.

Archived