Playing as other roles

ponebrewed

I know this is perhaps beyond the current scope and intention of FM, but it would be neat to be able to play as an assistant coach, or a general manager. I'm not really sure how the mechanics of this would work in game though.

About 3 or 4 years ago I suggested managing the u18/19 or u21 (Reserve) squads, which wasn't met with too kind a words from Miles.

Essentially, he thinks it won't be fun.

4 hours ago, David_H1997 said:

What did he say?

Told me to "make your own game, if people don't like it".

Basically, his response was that if people didn't like how he was doing FM (and the features that he chose) should find another game to play, or make their own.

On 5/18/2017 at 16:47, Baatus said:

Yeah, would be cool to manage the B-squad or -19 squad of my friend in a network game. 

Play in Spain or Portugal, and you could. I've managed Barca and Braga B-Teams in saves in the past.

19 hours ago, Schmidy said:

Told me to "make your own game, if people don't like it".

Basically, his response was that if people didn't like how he was doing FM (and the features that he chose) should find another game to play, or make their own.

Jheeeze, talk about customer service. Gotta say I've lost a little bit of respect for Miles knowing this.

That has nothing to do with customer service & SI already have a large amount of data showing how many people are likely to play as an u18 manager as we can already manage B teams in some of the major nations & very few FM'ers choose that option.

It would also massively increase the research teams workload to gather all the correct youth league formats.

The cost is much greater than any potential return on investment.

@Barside it does come across as a bit rude and "Well that isn't my problem, you're the one with the issue" sort of attitude. Could be the way it's worded by as someone who has to deal with customers and support calls at work I know I certainly wouldn't take up that attitude.

This is clearly heading off topic but to clarify FM is an entertainment media, just like TV shoe or film it is released based on the desired image of its director & in that regard is not bound by the principles of product customer service other than when the game doesn't work.

It has some moderately base-line and immersion aspects that can justify it, and I don't think anyone would deny it being in the game would make it more realistic. But, it'd most likely be a very much novel thing most would do once and not return to. Or if it was integrated in such a manner you had to go through it in order to become a full, senior manager, it'd be lambasted. The main problem is there is no end game to it all, some might enjoy that aspect of the game but odds are its probably not a commercially viable amount of people.

There's only a finite amount of development hours, and this is the kind of thing that would take up too many for what it is. 

Some job roles would be largely off-limits as well, either due to inability to reproduce in any meaningful way what those roles do or pretty much anything regarding u18's. It's already a bit of an uncertain area when it comes to the elements we already have in game involving u18's. There may be no problems at all, but there's enormous potential for problems on that front.

On 18/05/2017 at 17:26, David_H1997 said:

Yeah, something I also would be cool in the game when looking at the job centre. "Ah it would be cool to go and be the U18s manager there, or the assistant manager there" etc.

It would be extremely boring. Tactics are decided by the senior manager most of the time as well as part of the starting 11 if a player happens to have low match fitness. As well as scouting, transfers, contracts, discussions with the board or even press conferences. You wouldn't be doing anything aside from picking (part of) the team and managing promises as well as team talks; and even then youth players are far more likely to go complain to the senior manager about any issues they may have. It is possible to be a manager for young international teams and you would have far more to do (even if international management isn't handled that well in FM), but on a club level you'd be doing very little.

2 hours ago, Barside said:

This is clearly heading off topic but to clarify FM is an entertainment media, just like TV shoe or film it is released based on the desired image of its director & in that regard is not bound by the principles of product customer service other than when the game doesn't work.

Honestly, it just reads as Miles being tired of answering that question more than anything.

• 6 months later...

Archived