Player retirements

cainy1982

In my opinion far too many players are retiring from the game far too early, time and time again we see players at 30,31,32,33 retiring just because for 6 months or one season they       struggled to get a game!, this just would not happen in reality as players would seek a new club either at the same level or drop down a level to find regular football.

Barring a single career ending injury or persistent injuries over a longer period players that I have seen retire too early for example David Luiz, James Milner and Dries Mertens to name a few simply would not retire from the game at 32/33 years of age.

It is ludicrous to say these kind of players wouldn't be able to find a new club and I think FM attempting to predict player retirements is just plain wrong, leave them be until they are at least 35 years of age or more for a GK (even floating around as a free agent if a club doesn't come along instantly), they don't have to officially hang up their boots and become staff so young.

Kinda agree, it would be awesome to see some old legends at lower clubs, though its also good to make them retire to increase game speed. Maybe make it so that players with a PA of 150+ have a higher chance to go to lower clubs to improve nostalgia a bit?

Talking about game speed, there are always so many players with a CA/PA of under 20 in the game even if you dont select very low leagues, i think they should be deleted or so, even though this one has nothing to do with your topic

I'm completely fine with any player retiring from playing post 35 years of age, I'm sure if FM carried out a poll of real life players and asked them if they see themselves retiring un injured at 31,32,33 they would be highly insulted as any pro wants to keep playing as long as their bodies will allow.

It annoys me when I have scouted a player for 6 months or so with the intention of signing him only for FM to randomly decide that because he only played 10-15 games in a season he will retire at 31,32,33.

I don't understand their logic behind it, why do all the leg work to detail their profiles so finely just to cast them aside when they are no longer a key or first team player, just leave them be as a free agent until they are 35/36 or maybe increase the option to be player/coaches for 1-2 seasons until they hang up their boots.

I'm 100% sure a poll of players will prove FM to be just plain wrong in pensioning players off so early and I'd love to see an explanation of their logic behind this ludicrous feature (it is fast becoming a deal breaker for me personally)

21 minutes ago, cainy1982 said:

I'm 100% sure a poll of players will prove FM to be just plain wrong in pensioning players off so early and I'd love to see an explanation of their logic behind this ludicrous feature (it is fast becoming a deal breaker for me personally)

The logic is easy, if the player is unemployed for a significant period of time then he will retire.

You can help the situation and make it more realistic by loading more leagues & divisions as playable therefore more players will be needed to fill the squads.

That "logic" is nonsense!, players are retiring at the end of a season in which they are still active and there is no need to load more leagues as playable when my current save doesn't have the MLS or Chinese Super League as playable but various players still go there, the clubs are still active whether the league is playable or not!

8 hours ago, cainy1982 said:

That "logic" is nonsense!, players are retiring at the end of a season in which they are still active and there is no need to load more leagues as playable when my current save doesn't have the MLS or Chinese Super League as playable but various players still go there, the clubs are still active whether the league is playable or not!

Seemingly you know better than everybody else so have fun :rolleyes:

These are facts I have encountered playing FM not my opinion, I have had fun and will continue to have fun playing FM whilst constructively trying to help SI make the game better and more realistic year on year, obviously some people don't like that!

Do you look through the injuries, career starts age etc as well. they maybe the deciding factor.  Milner made his debut at 16, him calling it a day at 32/33 would prob make sense...

Must be something to it this year though, seems a popular grumble.. 

20 hours ago, lo_spostato said:

Can I suggest to give the player the possibility to retire a number in honor of a player who used to wear it?

Interesting idea, you mean to continue on a theme (eg. Maldini #3 and Baresi #6 at AC Milan) ?

16 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

Do you look through the injuries, career starts age etc as well. they maybe the deciding factor.  Milner made his debut at 16, him calling it a day at 32/33 would prob make sense...

Must be something to it this year though, seems a popular grumble.. 

Yeah I see where your coming from but I have tried to pick out examples of players who retired un injured and where playing a minimum squad rotation role for their club the season prior to their retirement. I have absolutely no problem with players hanging up their boots at 35,36 as is generally the norm.

I saw a perfect example of this in real life with Darren Fletcher this week, 33 years old, contract expiring and joins Stoke City on a 2 year deal, FM would have pensioned him off for sure.

I hope this is a popular grumble and it makes FM take note and rectify it for FM18, it is so frustrating especially after I scouted a particular player for 6 months ready to sign him only to find out he has inexplicably hung up his boots.

22 hours ago, Bannside of Killowen said:

You can already do that but it rare 

It's extremely rare as I cannot. Notice I don't mean "not selecting a certain number on purpose", nor "hard coded things like jersey number 12 for supporters"

21 hours ago, cainy1982 said:

Interesting idea, you mean to continue on a theme (eg. Maldini #3 and Baresi #6 at AC Milan) ?

Exactly. Let's say a player has reached the legend status in your club, he wore for a certain minimum of years (let's say 4 years) the same jersey (any number, 3, 6, square roots), the board should ask you about such a thing.

• 6 months later...

Archived