Conte Tactic Taking Too Many Shots Off Target

Please see the SS of my tactic before anything else:

TacticSS.PNG

In almost every match, I end up with 13+ shots of which at most 3-4 are on target.

No matter how I limit my midfielders from refraining from taking shots, it doesn't seem to work and I am beginning to think I'd fare far better if I could limit those shots to situations that would eventually come up as clear-cut chances, or at least on-goal shots percentage to attain a level of 50% at least.

Seeing the layout above, what would be your suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming the midfielders taking long shots are the cause of the off target shots? You can ask them to take fewer long shots, yes (and you have), but a player will still shoot if he sees no other option. So have a look at the situation where a player shoots and see if he had another passing option and that he would have been able to spot it and your instructions allow it.

My freekick taker is a centre-back, so he contributes into that stat.

Other than that, midfielders do not seem to hold back no matter what I do. I don't know if I should tick "Retain Possession" option but I am worried that that will detriment the team's ball control and eventually cause counter-attacks.

Typically its because there isn't a better alternative that fits the risk setting of the player.  With 5 players on attack duty even on Standard team mentality they could end up taking the chance whilst they have it.  Especially if they have the PPM and are in a shooting position.

A few screenshots of the shots you don't want players to take might help with diagnosing your specific issue.

Archived