iPad Pro 10.5

Just got the iPad Pro 10.5 inch and thought it might be useful to share a few notes on how Football Manager Touch 2017 performs on it. I upgraded from an iPad Air 2.

• Like many apps, it doesn't have an adaptive layout to make use of the higher resolution. The app is zoomed slightly to fill the screen. It's not that noticeable, but it would be nice to be able to see more and make use of the higher resolution. Maybe one for next year.
  • The match engine is incredibly silky smooth. A huge difference between playing on the iPad Air 2 and the new iPad Pro.
  • General processing/performance is noticeably faster advancing to the next day, saving and so on.

Overall, a clear performance bump, even without any special hardware optimisation. 

On 2017-6-14 at 17:40, byjimini said:

Cool, thanks. I'm on the 12.9" Pro myself and like the performance. 

Do matches run smoothly? I have Samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 and FMT 2016 was unplayable so could only play in 2D. Didn't bother with new FMT. Looking at 3 tablets i might get. Last year's surface pro, the new surface pro or an iPad not sure which is the best to get. 

On 15/06/2017 at 18:12, Wizard boy said:

Do matches run smoothly? I have Samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 and FMT 2016 was unplayable so could only play in 2D. Didn't bother with new FMT. Looking at 3 tablets i might get. Last year's surface pro, the new surface pro or an iPad not sure which is the best to get. 

I don't use the match engine I'm afraid, just the text commentary. 

The match engine in 3D is very smooth. I thought it would need an update to take advantage of the higher refresh rate but clearly is a massive improvement on the 9.7" Pro performance. When you see a ball played in FM it was the first thing that really impressed me about the new screen since upgrading!

Went into currys to look at the 12.9 version and bought it on buy now pay in 6 months. Unfortunately i won't get to use it until at around mid week because it was out of stock. Not sure what to expect when i do get it because I've never owned an ipad of any kind. Told guy dealing with me i wanted to play FMT and he said he has it and it runs everything silky smooth so hope he's right and not just FMT.

6 hours ago, Wizard boy said:

I hope the new FMT runs just as smooth. Ive ordered the 64gb version. Is that gonna be ok or should i have got 128?

The ipad pros will be future proof for years,so powerful,ive got the 32gb version,memory doesnt matter would run the same if u had the 64 or 128.its the internal specs that matter,processor is powerful and theres 4gb ram,most tablet that run the game only have 2gb,ipad pro 12.9 has double that

45 minutes ago, marris09 said:

The ipad pros will be future proof for years,so powerful,ive got the 32gb version,memory doesnt matter would run the same if u had the 64 or 128.its the internal specs that matter,processor is powerful and theres 4gb ram,most tablet that run the game only have 2gb,ipad pro 12.9 has double that

Well my current tablet I've had around 2 years but its starting show its age. If ipad can last more than 3 then I'll be happy. I did read that sound on it is very good indeed. Since the new FMT won't be until around nov i might get the latest one to see what its like.

i would expect the pros to last longer than 3 years,think the only real difference between the 1st 12.9 and the lastest 12.9 regarding gaming is the processor has been slightly upgraded.ram is still the same.not enough for me to updrade to the lastest 12.9

20 minutes ago, marris09 said:

i would expect the pros to last longer than 3 years,think the only real difference between the 1st 12.9 and the lastest 12.9 regarding gaming is the processor has been slightly upgraded.ram is still the same.not enough for me to updrade to the lastest 12.9

How long have you had yours?

Ok I've Played first few games on my iPad pro and so far very impressed. Everything runs smoothly especially the ME. Whether that is still the case after 20 seasons is another matter. Using the pencil is nice. Beats having fingerprints all over the screen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I’ve got a Surface Pro 6, a XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro drawing tablet with screen , and the iPad. I love each one, have no preference, and generally use them each for totally different reasons.

The iPad is my all around media consumption device. Web. Movies. Books. Magazines. Smaller games. Paired with a bluetooth Wacom stylus, it’s also good for sketch and paint stuff.

My Surface Pro has more or less replaced my 17" laptop. It doesn’t have the same power as my desktop, but it still allows me to do a fair amount of mid-detail sculpting and other regular PC tasks. To use the Surface Pro with ZBrush and not have to rely on that small keyboard, I did have to install the RadiaMenu app, which allows me to set shortcuts to a small on-screen dial by my non-drawing hand. This way, I can use it almost as I would a Cintq.

Speaking of my XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro … You’ll have to pry it from my cold, dead body to get it from me.  It took a little getting used to, but I can’t imagine sculpting on anything else. It’s an amazing input device, especially when paired with an equally good PC. Just attach it to an Ergotron type arm mount though. The supplied stand, while sturdy, doesn’t really offer the same range of motion or overall stability as an arm.

No preference, as I said. It all depends on what you want to do and how you work. There’s not a whole lot of overlap in how I use these devices. Which you prefer all depends on how you want to work. For my money, however, the iPad really isn’t going to be a computer replacement. It does have a reason for existing, but not for hardcore work - unless you’re maybe a 2D artist, in which case you probably CAN get a lot of painting and sketching done.

Il y a 17 heures, laiwang a dit :

I’ve got a Surface Pro 6, a XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro drawing tablet with screen , and the iPad. I love each one, have no preference, and generally use them each for totally different reasons.

The iPad is my all around media consumption device. Web. Movies. Books. Magazines. Smaller games. Paired with a bluetooth Wacom stylus, it’s also good for sketch and paint stuff.

My Surface Pro has more or less replaced my 17" Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime  laptop. It doesn’t have the same power as my desktop, but it still allows me to do a fair amount of mid-detail sculpting and other regular PC tasks. To use the Surface Pro with ZBrush and not have to rely on that small keyboard, I did have to install the RadiaMenu app, which allows me to set shortcuts to a small on-screen dial by my non-drawing hand. This way, I can use it almost as I would a Cintq.

Speaking of my XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro … You’ll have to pry it from my cold, dead body to get it from me.  It took a little getting used to, but I can’t imagine sculpting on anything else. It’s an amazing input device, especially when paired with an equally good PC. Just attach it to an Ergotron type arm mount though. The supplied stand, while sturdy, doesn’t really offer the same range of motion or overall stability as an arm.

No preference, as I said. It all depends on what you want to do and how you work. There’s not a whole lot of overlap in how I use these devices. Which you prefer all depends on how you want to work. For my money, however, the iPad really isn’t going to be a computer replacement. It does have a reason for existing, but not for hardcore work - unless you’re maybe a 2D artist, in which case you probably CAN get a lot of painting and sketching done.

I hope the new FMT runs just as smooth. Ive ordered the 64gb version. Is that gonna be ok or should i have got 128?

Archived