Online Database for Graphic Packs

Erdem81

I don't know that if something like this is possible or not, but I'd love to see this feature.

We all use some third party graphic packs to make FM look better but some of these packs take more than double(even more) space in drive than the game. 

As someone who has made graphic packs for FM for years, to keep the downloads minimum, I wonder if it is possible to give an URL to, for example, player faces rather than using downloaded images. Thus, I and the other graphic pack creators would be able to upload all the graphic packs to their own servers and the users, who have an internet connection, would need to download only the config.xml file. It also would be much easier to update the graphic packs. 

Apart from the legal issues, it wouldn't really work as the game would still need to download the images to display them - meaning the game would then either need to cache files (removing any space saving) or reload them every time they are shown which would slow down any page that has custom graphics as the game would need to connect to the servers and download a fresh image all the time. I'd also expect the hosting costs would be rather high considering the files will be being downloaded over and over instead of just once. You also have the security issues of the game connecting to random unverified from SI websites.

• 4 months later...

Archived