Opposition Formation Changes

Does anyone have any tips for how to counter opposition formation changes?

For context I'm playing as Wolves in 2020, predicted finish of 10th in the Premier League. I have a few formations, but usually play 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 Fluid/Very Fluid and switch between counter, standard and control mentalities. TIs are usually Offiside Trap, Play out of Defence, Work Ball into Box, Whip Crosses and sometimes Roam from Position.

I usually play okay initially against bigger teams, for example I was leading against City and Spurs away at the 60 minute mark but when the opposition formation widget shows they switch to 4-2-3-1 Attacking or 4-1-2-3 Attacking (pretty much any formation with attacking in the name), we really struggle.

I know my team should not expect to beat these teams, but it's frustrating to be leading and then to concede late goals for a point or to lose. Does anyone have any tips? I managed to keep a 1 - 0 lead against Chelsea by switching to defensive/very fuild, and adding the "Waste Time" and "Retain Possession" shouts, but was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestiosn.

Thank for your advice.

To counter an opposition formation change you can either become Sir Alex Ferguson or you can be Roy Hodgson. One manager adapts the other does not. 

If you want to adapt you need to observe what they are doing, is one of your flanks vulnerable ?do you make a small tweak to lock it down?  Or do you attack it there by asking one of your players to take advantage of the space left behind by their attacks? Most of my play through videos will show the kind of changes I make, but all these depend on your own players. 

I've been watching your videos and they've definitely helped. So far I'm switching the wing backs down a duty (attack to support, or support to defend), and dropping to counter and adding retain possession. I hope this means we increase the chances of a counter, but will hold the ball better if a counter is not triggered under the hood. 

13 minutes ago, Boydo said:

I've been watching your videos and they've definitely helped. So far I'm switching the wing backs down a duty (attack to support, or support to defend), and dropping to counter and adding retain possession. I hope this means we increase the chances of a counter, but will hold the ball better if a counter is not triggered under the hood. 

Would you mind to tell the videos you specifically watched?

54 minutes ago, Boydo said:

In that case you are going for an AI generated counter as a bonus to playing safe which sounds like a decent strategy

Archived