Why am I not scoring?

You are telling your team to hit early crosses

yet you have no wingers to do so 

you are asking your team to play through the centre and in the final 3rd to cross, where are your crosses coming from? 

Renember I have no idea what to do with tactics so I might be wrong but that's what it looks like to me 

You have no width.

The wingbacks in a narrow diamond need to provide the width and you've got them on defend duty. Your attack will be one-dimensional and predictable through the middle, and opponents can just sit a bunch of bodies back around the penalty area and it will be very hard to play through.

Put your wingbacks on support (maybe even one on attack) and you should start to stretch the opposition a little more and create some space.

1 minute ago, SpartyOn said:

You have no width.

The wingbacks in a narrow diamond need to provide the width and you've got them on defend duty. Your attack will be one-dimensional and predictable through the middle, and opponents can just sit a bunch of bodies back around the penalty area and it will be very hard to play through.

Put your wingbacks on support (maybe even one on attack) and you should start to stretch the opposition a little more and create some space.

To add to this you also have four players sitting in midfield & attack (MC, MC, AMC & DLF).  They all are happy to pass the ball around in front of the opposition and there is only your poacher looking to break the defensive line.

I imagine your players pass the ball around a lot in the opposition half in front of the defence and eventually one of them has a shot.  I doubt you create many chances which then explains your low conversion rate.

But he's having all those shots!

This is simple. Compressing the space in two dimensions, both in terms of width (has been addressed), plus vertically. "Exploit the middle" encourages central players except for "defend" ones to push further up, causing players up top to sit on each toes. What this means is generally that no matter who is eventually passed to, he will be pushed, also eventually pushed into hurried shots. The opposition may additionally have it easy to clear for loads of set pieces, which can always massively inflate those "dominating" stats (IRL football teams take like 30 corners to score a goal, free kicks don't fare massively better, you can't afford to rely on those). As for gauging your generally shot conversion, it's displayed in the TEAM REPORT under STATS. The averages are about 10% for shots on this, and 25% for shots on target. There is also numbers in the profile of your regular goal scorers. Actually FM 17 has a few issues with defending when narrowing this much, but they won't be exploited in such ways, with the WBs always hanging back.

If I'm playing at full back and I come up against someone playing the way you are, then I know I have no threat on my flank and can just spend the game protecting my centre-back. So I'll stay tight to them and eliminate the half spaces, knowing you can't really offer a crossing threat You'll have all of the game in midfield, but you're attack will be one-dimensional, so I wont really be too worried. You'll be forced into either shooting long or playing high-paced through balls that have little chance of coming off.

Id change your WB to Support or attack, change one CM to AP Support and the other to CM Support (id keep em support so that they can cover the WB going forward), change your AMF to AM either attack or support (see what works). 

These changes should give you more width so your WBs can lay in more crosses 

Archived