"Tweaking" my tactics

Hi all,

I see so many posts regarding the tweaking of tactics. This might sound daft but what do you do to tweak yours? I've just started a new save with Nottingham Forest and I'm currently 4th after 6 games. I would love to stay in that sort of position as Forest are predicted to finish mid-table! I haven't changed the formation or roles at all which obviously isn't a good thing as my opponents will eventually work out how my system works.

What should I do to tweak my tactics? Would a change of formation be a drastic decision? My team's form always drops after Christmas and I can only presume that this is because I never change anything. I know that I haven't provided any information regarding my tactic so please don't moan at me for this! I just need a little bit of help to understand what I should do to tweak my tactic.

Thanks

2 hours ago, RobKBarrow said:

I haven't changed the formation or roles at all which obviously isn't a good thing as my opponents will eventually work out how my system works.

AI opponents don't do this. They can't. They may see your team being in great form (especially when it's better than what it should be) and lining up more defensively or seeing you doing poorly (also especially compared to how well you "should" be doing) and think you're vulnerable so line up more attacking.

In both cases, with more or fewer players going forward, closing down changes etc it all changes where and how they leave space for you to try and exploit and also it may test your defence in different ways. Having 4 players back may be fine against defensive teams only quickly attacking with 1 or 2 players, but it'll be an issue against teams getting 4 or 5 forward fairly quickly.

And to come back to your question - it depends on what's wrong. First identify issues, if there are, before tweaking. Otherwise you're changing things blindly, with no idea why or if it'll even work.

Archived