Football Manager 2018 Announcement

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Georgik said:

Hopefully FM2018 will be an overhaul of the series, and will feel like a brand new game, instead of having the feeling of an add-on (like fm17 did for me). This is my first time i will not automatically buy the game after the dissapointment and the frustration that FM17 was. Hopefully the transfer system, ME and player/manager interactions will be overhauled. 

I wouldn't hold your breath mate, they won 't overhaul the whole game from top to bottom no way. I reckon they'll be the subtle changes to the ME and interface but the transfer system whats your beef with that?

On 04/09/2017 at 14:44, Jean0987654321 said:

Yeah, the features that have been announced on social media isn't really special. I want to know if they tweaked the ME and the Tactical Creator...

It's all about the Match Engine and Tactics Creator for me - where I personally believe major improvements are needed in defensive positioning. This is what will determine whether I buy the game and nothing else.

Training overhaul would be a bonus.

The cosmetic features surrounding social media will not get me to buy FM18.

I'm interested in the actual football aspects of the game. The rest is just noise for me.

I don't see the problem with Sports Interactive revealing these little tidbits every now and then. Besides, they are hardly going to disclose any potentially groundbreaking new features before the big announcement, are they?

1 hour ago, BigRoboCrouch said:

Well if the level of importance of the new features is the same of those tweets i think i'll just download an updated database and start over in FM17.

You should read the post by Miles again.  

21 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath mate, they won 't overhaul the whole game from top to bottom no way. I reckon they'll be the subtle changes to the ME and interface but the transfer system whats your beef with that?

The transfer system must be improved ... an example : AI manager signs player for around 100 mil, and he averages 5 games a season during his 4 year stay at that particular club (Man City).

14 minutes ago, Georgik said:

The transfer system must be improved ... an example : AI manager signs player for around 100 mil, and he averages 5 games a season during his 4 year stay at that particular club (Man City).

That's not the transfer system. That's the squad/team selector.

FM17 was the first FM that i spent all my playing time on FMT rather than FM. (Only five hours on the full FM). Thanks kids! Because of that Ive taken the tight option and pre-ordered the standalone FMT18. Like someone else said though, its a shame theres no early bird discount for FMT too. Maybe next year???  Looking forward to getting beta and starting in Sweden again. Easily my favorite save from FMT17

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, tedvanh said:

Will the discount also apply to FM Touch?

No, the discount is only available with full Football Manager (which does include Football Manager Touch 2018 for PC/Mac/Linux). 

Currently in year 2061 and absolutely love my save. I enjoy it so much, that I wish fm 2018 would be a revolution ! Insanly improved 3D, AI int media questions( media is so repetetive ) etc etc- 

Butt still preorderd it. The more money SI gets, the better I hope FM gets. I have played FM/CM since I was 8 or 9 ( cm93 was first version) years old, even before I learned english. 

Its my fav game of all time, and think it allways will be. So cant wait until the day in a long distant future where the game is so realistisc and you sit there with 3d glasses( or even sicker tech) and virually stadning on the pitch managing your team ! 

On 10/9/2017 at 06:46, Bolsen said:

Currently in year 2061 and absolutely love my save. I enjoy it so much, that I wish fm 2018 would be a revolution ! Insanly improved 3D, AI int media questions( media is so repetetive ) etc etc- 

Butt still preorderd it. The more money SI gets, the better I hope FM gets. I have played FM/CM since I was 8 or 9 ( cm93 was first version) years old, even before I learned english. 

Its my fav game of all time, and think it allways will be. So cant wait until the day in a long distant future where the game is so realistisc and you sit there with 3d glasses( or even sicker tech) and virually stadning on the pitch managing your team ! 

2061??:eek:Can I ask you which teams you have manage?? 

Edited by Sheriff7

2 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

2061??:eek:Can I ask you which teams you have manage?? 

Always start with no coaching exp and no former player exp. 
Brann(Norway 2016), Lysekloster(Norway 2016, yes I was sacked twice in a season), Heist (3.div Belgium 2016/2021), FC Groningen 2021/2022), Start (Norway 2022) Leiknir R ( Iceland 2022), Stjarnan ( Iceland 2022/2024), Skeid( Norway 2024/2025), Groupe Spotif Consolat ( France 2025/2026) EFT Frèjus Saint-Raphaël ( France 2027/2033),  Preston (Eng 2033/2034), Northampton (Eng 2034/2035 ), KA ( Iceland 2035/2036 ), Jammerbugt FC (Denmark 2037), Fjölnir ( Ice 2037 ), Fana ( Nor 2038/2040), Førde ( Nor 2038/2040 ), Nest-Sotra ( Nor 2041), Handknattleiksfèlag Kòpavogs ( Ice 2041-2061 )  :p 

6 hours ago, Bolsen said:

Brann(Norway 2016), Lysekloster(Norway 2016, yes I was sacked twice in a season), Heist (3.div Belgium 2016/2021), FC Groningen 2021/2022), Start (Norway 2022) Leiknir R ( Iceland 2022), Stjarnan ( Iceland 2022/2024), Skeid( Norway 2024/2025), Groupe Spotif Consolat ( France 2025/2026) EFT Frèjus Saint-Raphaël ( France 2027/2033),  Preston (Eng 2033/2034), Northampton (Eng 2034/2035 ), KA ( Iceland 2035/2036 ), Jammerbugt FC (Denmark 2037), Fjölnir ( Ice 2037 ), Fana ( Nor 2038/2040), Førde ( Nor 2038/2040 ), Nest-Sotra ( Nor 2041), Handknattleiksfèlag Kòpavogs ( Ice 2041-2061 )  :p 

Yeah Skeid!!! B-)

(I've taken them to Champions League group stage hahahaha)

22 hours ago, Bolsen said:

Perfect 👌 Like you i like to manage minor clubs and nations.. You could try and post your story to Fm Careers update forum.. :thup:

The only things I hope are improved are Tactics and Training. The rest I could care less about. Tactics and Training need to be more connected and related. I want the ability to train my team to play a certain way. Tactically, I want Creative Freedom to be separated from team shape. I want more flexibility in assigning roles and responsibilities during different phases of the game and in different thirds of the field.

Guest El Payaso
On 5.9.2017 at 13:47, Georgik said:

Hopefully FM2018 will be an overhaul of the series, and will feel like a brand new game, instead of having the feeling of an add-on (like fm17 did for me). This is my first time i will not automatically buy the game after the dissapointment and the frustration that FM17 was. Hopefully the transfer system, ME and player/manager interactions will be overhauled. 

I would add to this the training system which has been dull for years now. A system where you actually could make a big positive or negative difference depending on your skill as a player developer would be much appreciated. On tactics sliders were not necessarily the better system but on training I feel that they definitely were. 

And generally much more challenging game through the AI actually challenging us better. This is not easy to do though.

Don't know this is possible for 2018 but i hope for future we get More Training Involvement than just setting Team and Individual training.

more Interaction with Players and Agents who aren't in your team, the current one is a good start with promises/ Negotiations improvement of this would be better like Asking a Player Agent of his availability to move to our team before we start negotiations with his club and what sort of role and how we would use him in the current/next season and future seasons.

Ability to give a player the role of Super Sub and Very Important squad status in which the team will keep him fresh for most important matches instead of asking him to play every match.  

Free Roles with out instructions for all positions if possible 

Forgot to add if its possible to change League rules dynamically would be good along with TV prize money increase as the league reputation increases

Edited by ferrarinseb

36 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

Don't know this is possible for 2018 but i hope for future we get More Training Involvement than just setting Team and Individual training.

more Interaction with Players and Agents who aren't in your team, the current one is a good start with promises/ Negotiations improvement of this would be better like Asking a Player Agent of his availability to move to our team before we start negotiations with his club and what sort of role and how we would use him in the current/next season and future seasons.

Ability to give a player the role of Super Sub and Very Important squad status in which the team will keep him fresh for most important matches instead of asking him to play every match.  

Free Roles with out instructions for all positions if possible 

Forgot to add if its possible to change League rules dynamically would be good along with TV prize money increase as the league reputation increases

There's a feature request section for this: https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Suggestions are going to be far too late for FM18 though.

12 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

There's a feature request section for this: https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Suggestions are going to be far too late for FM18 though.

oops sorry for wrong post in wrong topic :( 

Any way Is there any news on When we might get Features reveal. Pre ordered already though :) 

15 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

oops sorry for wrong post in wrong topic :( 

Any way Is there any news on When we might get Features reveal. Pre ordered already though :) 

No worries!

The news is in the announcement. 2nd post, by Miles.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Why does that matter?  If you don't know something just the day before the beta (might) come out, does it really matter?

Poor marketing strategy though.  Good marketing is to drip feed information over a period of time to create the interest, desire, need, to purchase a product when it goes on sale.

1 minute ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Poor marketing strategy though.  Good marketing is to drip feed information over a period of time to create the interest, desire, need, to purchase a product when it goes on sale.

And when it does go on sale, you'll know exactly what the features are going to be.  I doubt anyone's going to be saying "yeah, it's November, and I would buy it but they only released the features 6 weeks early, not 8.  No way am I buying it now"

37 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And when it does go on sale, you'll know exactly what the features are going to be.  I doubt anyone's going to be saying "yeah, it's November, and I would buy it but they only released the features 6 weeks early, not 8.  No way am I buying it now"

I refer you back to my statement

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

Why does that matter?  If you don't know something just the day before the beta (might) come out, does it really matter?

Because if I start a new FM save right now, then I won't be buying FM 2018 (at least not before final patch and at lower price than in November) and SI loses a client. But I could choose not to start new save right now if some new feature could catch my interest enough to make me believe that FM 2018 will be worth the wait. Right now it's just another database update, something I grew up to not care about and just enjoy games with newgens.

21 minutes ago, nie jem frytek said:

Because if I start a new FM save right now, then I won't be buying FM 2018 (at least not before final patch and at lower price than in November) and SI loses a client. But I could choose not to start new save right now if some new feature could catch my interest enough to make me believe that FM 2018 will be worth the wait. Right now it's just another database update, something I grew up to not care about and just enjoy games with newgens.

So because you want to start a new save, they should deviate from their well-publicised plan of announcing the features?  If it really matters that much, you could have some self-control and wait the (probably short) time until the features come out until you make the decision.  They've been very upfront - more upfront than usual I should add - about when you're going to get everything.  And to the vast majority it doesn't and shouldn't matter literally months away from release when they say what they're going to change.

People are starting to get impatient.

Guys, there is 2 weeks till the end of the month. Have little patience. Sure i understand that people need to make certain decisions and what not.

I for one, hope for a lot of stuff for the new game (especially for FMT editor), but I know perfectly as well that many of the features I want will not be included. SI, I and other users here have different priorities what features need to be added. But this is not the place to have such a discussion. :)

This is the first release in a long time where I won't be pre ordering.  I was quite disappointed with FM17.  At first I was pleased with it, as I am every release but the more I played it the less I enjoyed it.  We don't need to go into too much detail as to the where's and the what's as they are covered in detail over the forum. 

I've gone back to FM12 (again) as it's the release I enjoy the most.

I look forward to the demo and look forward to the Youtuber's releasing video's of the beta.

18 hours ago, -Silverfoxx- said:

Came here yearly again to see what improvements / features are coming this year but details not released yet.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting updates / improvements to tactics, training and match engine don't get your hopes up. My guess is you are going to be disappointed. It has been clear for a while now that these areas haven't been the priority and these areas are just receiving tweaks / bug fixes each year.

The main focus over the last few years has been to make Football Drama Simulator 'Sigh'.

I'm guessing their focus this year has been in regards to tweets, social and press interactions, players crying more in game about transfers or that they didn't get a cake for their birthday etc. and of course more repetitive, annoying, boring, useless click screens.

Its not been about the tactics, training and football for a long time.

However I hope I'm wrong tho, I sincerely do.

I wouldn't assume that's the case based on a few tweets. For one thing the system requirements have changed from 3GB to 7GB hard drive space.

I might be wrong but I imagine there have been some big changes to the match engine in some way. I believe SI sometimes work on a new feature for a few years before it's added to the game.

2 hours ago, Scoham said:

I wouldn't assume that's the case based on a few tweets. For one thing the system requirements have changed from 3GB to 7GB hard drive space.

I might be wrong but I imagine there have been some big changes to the match engine in some way. I believe SI sometimes work on a new feature for a few years before it's added to the game.

I think the reason its now 7 gb is because Touch is now included with the base game.

We oughtn't speculate before any info's been divulged, but since we are anyway ...... ;-)

It's an almost stone-set pattern that in even years SI put in a major new feature or two which is full of bugs, and in odd years changes are minor as SI focus on polishing the previous release. FM17 was one of those 'quiet' releases with no major bugs but no exciting features either. So FM18 is due for something 'exciting' albeit bugged-up until Christmas.

Guest El Payaso
56 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

FM17 was one of those 'quiet' releases with no major bugs but no exciting features either. So FM18 is due for something 'exciting' albeit bugged-up until Christmas.

I don't understand these claims that people keep making about game being bugged until some point. I've never faced an FM that has been hugely bugged in the beginning and for example FM 2013, 2015 and 2017 were 'less bugged' in the beginning in terms of the match engine than they were with the final release. FM 2013 for example somewhere before Christmas time for me had the best and balanced ME I've ever witnessed in the game and it was for example hard to get chances and score goals.

I'm going to buy the game like I always do but am having my fingers crossed that we would see some real difference on the tactical side of the game or to the training so that we would finally have something new and hopefully more challenging to do in the game. 

4 hours ago, zigaliro said:

I think the reason its now 7 gb is because Touch is now included with the base game.

It used to be a few years ago and then was made separate. Not sure why they'd change back to doing it that way.

There's no way including Touch more than doubles the hard drive requirements either.

10 minutes ago, Scoham said:

It used to be a few years ago and then was made separate. Not sure why they'd change back to doing it that way.

There's no way including Touch more than doubles the hard drive requirements either.

Back then, Touch and FM shared one launcher, database, and a great deal of the files/locations. Now they come bundled as a separated pair of apps, it doubles because you're getting two entire FM's with separate files/locations.

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

Back then, Touch and FM shared one launcher, database, and a great deal of the files/locations. Now they come bundled as a separated pair of apps, it doubles because you're getting two entire FM's with separate files/locations.

So we know for certain that's why the requirements have gone from 3GB to 7GB?

2 hours ago, Scoham said:

So we know for certain that's why the requirements have gone from 3GB to 7GB?

At the moment there is no way of knowing why the requirements have changed, the most likely reason is they are basing the FM18 install size from the current size of an FM17 install which on my computer is using ~7.5GB (with ~1GB off that coming from old patched files and the other database), though FM16 is ~5.5GB, I cannot remember what size FM17 was on release but 3GB seems a bit on the low size though looking back that seems to have been FM16's requirement as well so it's likely FM17 just reused the FM16 requirements.

However judging from the steam description FMTouch is a separate version again so that shouldn't be factored into the FM18 requirements.