Second nationality takes up foreign spot?

I play with Galatasaray. Under Turkish league rules, teams can register 14 maximum foreign players.

I bought Ianis Hagi from Fiorentina but Hagi was born in Turkey, therefore he has Turkish citizenship but he's native Romanian. He plays for Romanian National team but he has Turkish citizenship as his secondary nationality.

When I registered him for my team, he still takes foreign spot. Why does that happen? He still has Turkish citizenship and shouldn't count as foreign player. Can anyone help or face this problem?

The foreigner rule in Turkey classifies non-foreign players as player eligible for the national team, Ianis Hagi has played for Romania already meaning he is not eligible.The rule is in place to improve the Turkish national team, so it sort of makes sense.

On 8/18/2017 at 20:50, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Has Atakan been capped by Germany? I haven't played in Turkey but it might only class them as FGN once they have been capped by another nation.

No. Atakan declared as Germany but 0 cap.

Hagi declared as Romania and played 1 cap.

But I think rule stated wrong there. Because, lets say if Mesut Ozil or Emre Can come to Turkey and play for any club, he wouldn't take foreign spot. Regardless of he plays for German national team, because he simply has Turkish passport. Samething goes for Ilkay Gundogan, Emre Can too.

For example, Italy have 2 non-eu transfer limit per season. But there are a lot of Argentinians who have Italian passport as secondary nationality. Those don't count towards that 2 non-Eu transfer.

15 minutes ago, CiMB0M said:

No. Atakan declared as Germany but 0 cap.

Hagi declared as Romania and played 1 cap.

But I think rule stated wrong there. Because, lets say if Mesut Ozil or Emre Can come to Turkey and play for any club, he wouldn't take foreign spot. Regardless of he plays for German national team, because he simply has Turkish passport. Samething goes for Ilkay Gundogan, Emre Can too.

For example, Italy have 2 non-eu transfer limit per season. But there are a lot of Argentinians who have Italian passport as secondary nationality. Those don't count towards that 2 non-Eu transfer.

Just because it works one way in Italy doesn't mean it works that way elsewhere, iirc Russia has a similar rule that to be declared as non-foreign the player needs to have a competitive cap for the Russian senior team.

If you have written evidence that the rule in FM is incorrect you need to post links in the Turkish data thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 13:43, Barside said:

Just because it works one way in Italy doesn't mean it works that way elsewhere, iirc Russia has a similar rule that to be declared as non-foreign the player needs to have a competitive cap for the Russian senior team.

If you have written evidence that the rule in FM is incorrect you need to post links in the Turkish data thread.

It's a well-known rule. Veli Kavlak, plays for Austria National Team, but he has Turkish passport. He doesn't count as a foreign in the league. (I'm talking about real life)

58 minutes ago, CiMB0M said:

It's a well-known rule. Veli Kavlak, plays for Austria National Team, but he has Turkish passport. He doesn't count as a foreign in the league. (I'm talking about real life)

I have no knowledge on Turkish football, but Veli Kavlak seems to be exempted from being a foreign player:

http://www.ntv.com.tr/spor/tffden-yabanci-oyuncu-karari,NsEW98PNrE6bmE2bvT8yOA

Bunların 1'i kulübün alt yapısından yetişmiş olmalı. Öte yandan, yabancı milli takımları tercih eden oyuncular yabancı statüsüne sayılacak.

Ancak Veli Kavlak ve Erkan Zengin gibi daha önce Türk statüsünde oynamaya hak kazanmış oyuncular bu kuraldan etkilenmeyecek. 

Brute translation from Google:

One of them must have grown from the bottom of the club. On the other hand, players who prefer foreign national teams will be counted as a foreigner. 

However, players like Veli Kavlak and Erkan Zengin who have been qualified to play in Turkish status will not be affected by this rule. 

Now your Hagi from Fiorentina might be eligible to this rule but it is highly unlikely that FM would implement this into the game with such high detail.

Archived