Improve player interactions

maccataq

I want to see more flexibility in talking to players. I don't like that you simply cannot talk to player who might be unhappy. I want to see ways and means to rebuild relationships where they might have broken down also.

The whole interactions around player wanting to leave for more wages is completely flawed because they will say they want to leave because club x pays more wages so you might say, ok let's talk figures and then they'll get offended and say they don't want to play for the club. I've even had scenarios where they say "talk to me about a new contract" and you don't get the option to do that or they just similarly get offended by the notion of offering more money when you say let's talk figures.

Furthermore, you should be able to offer a contract to a player even if unhappy or if he has a slight concern. Maybe there would be no formal negotiations but you should at least be able to offer something, especially in the case of above where all they want is money. In my current save, I'm sure I could offer a player the wages he wants and would have been no problem had I opened negotiations prior to him coming to me with a request to join the other club. You could argue that I should have been pro-active here but I signed this player for £57m (a club record) less than 18 months ago so he's not even completed 2 seasons with me. The conversation should have been for a new contract to reflect his importance to the team, not to leave to another club because they pay more wages (incidentally, the club i'm referring to is not even a top tier club that wins anything).

On another note, you should be able to speak directly about title chances in the current season as a means to keep players. I'm tired of players wanting to leave mid-season when I'm in serious contention for the league and doing well in the CL for a mid-table PL club who can offer big wages. Surely winning trophies is more important especially when in a top league such as Serie A - I understand that some players are more motivated by money but most would have the common sense to hang on to win something and then look to move on.

• 2 months later...

Archived