Goalkeeper ratings

socceroos

I think the goalkeeper match rating is a little flawed. I've seen times where a keeper would make 7-8 saves to keep his side in it, get a 6.9 rating, but be outdone by a striker who scores a tap in to win 1-0 after not doing much else for the match, rates over 7 and gets MOTM.

It's not just the goalkeeper. The match rating doesn't seem to account for tactics and player role, and the game has a strange idea what good and bad ratings are.

For the first part, the False Nine is a good example. I use him as a lone striker and what I want him to do is to set up chances for my midfielders. If the False Nine isn't  actually scoring, or atleast makes one assist, their rating seems to be horrendous though. That doesn't mean *I* think he does a bad job, just that the game does, and that ofcourse affects his morale and makes him play even worse. The game really puts too strong an emphasis on scoring for strikers.

How the game itself interprets match ratings is also strange. At the start of a match, everyone starts with 6.8, so one can safely assume that this is considered an average score. Anyone who keeps this rating should have had an ok game, without too many mistakes and not having done anything extraordinarily positive. The game however seems to think this is a low rating, as is evident by the National Duty Match reports. Match ratings of 6.8 and 6.9 generally have the comment "has every reason to be disappointed" or something to that effect. That in turn means that at the start of every match, and usually for the first 10-15 minutes (unless something extraordinary happens) every player on the field has "every reason to be disappointed."

Agree completely. Some of the rating are horribly wrong. Goalkeepers with a ten rating were an usual occurence in old CM games, now it's impossible, unless he scores penalties or magically makes 4 assists but from amazing saves alone, it's impossible.

15 hours ago, dioniz said:

Agree completely. Some of the rating are horribly wrong. Goalkeepers with a ten rating were an usual occurence in old CM games, now it's impossible, unless he scores penalties or magically makes 4 assists but from amazing saves alone, it's impossible.

My memory might not serve me correctly as I have been playing FM for a long long time, but I think the rating system may have changed in FM16.. 

Guest El Payaso

It needs an overhaul for sure.

N'Golo Kante for example was the player of the year last season in the Premier league and Manuel Neuer competed for Ballon d'or one year. And those trophies usually go to the players with highest average rating.

It should also variate a lot: for example you could have a BWM in one tactic that performs with 7,66 avr for the whole season while on a badly working tactic or with a worse player or mix of both the BWM might struggle and have something like 6,22 as average rating. Also there should be a possibility that your right full back performs with much higher ratings than the left one or the same even with centre backs. For me there isn't large enough differences and variation . Not easy to balance this though for sure as this has been the case as long as I've remember as have the stats itself. 

I know that whoscored is not a legit source but for example there the ratings variate much more as the best players rate high above 8 in ratings and some struggle to get sixes in same leagues and even same teams.

• 2 months later...

Archived