Cox... a quest to gain victory in England.

SneakyDave

This is my first story, I'll see how much I can keep it up to date, not much planning has gone on so we'll see how it goes. All constructive feedback appreciated.

CHAPTER 1: EXILE

"12-6-07: Cox to be released from his Celtic contract?

Rumors are rife that Celtic player/Assistant manager Fonda Cox has been released from his Celtic contract after his late night dispute with manager Gordon Strachan last week at the club Christmas Party have been spreading throughout the area of not only Glasgow, but the United Kingdom, what is the situation? Cox has called a press conference for 3pm today. We will be at hand to report the current situation."

"13-6-07: Cox resigns from his post at Celtic - Claims “Personal Reasons”

Fonda Cox released today that he has cut all ties from himself and the club manager Gordon Strachan. He claims they had differences in where the club would be going in the future;

“Well I fancied us as the dominant force in Scotland, bar none, y’know? I felt we had two choices in the current state of position in out league; either sell all our major stars and go back to square one, or coast along on top, neither options I was keen on. I’m going to be honest. I had just competed my final season at Celtic as a player, and I was firmly under Gordon’s wing, and in two years time, you’d be looking at the new manager of Celtic.

I felt we could fight and fight until we would be allowed into either an English league or even a cup. We needed to establish ourselves over there. We’ve got a massive fan base and personally I felt to be the best you’ve got to beat the best. Could Celtic cope in the English Premiership? Well f--- I guess we’ll never know now will we?

Gordon suggested that we become partners with Manchester United, sell our top talent to them for a fixed price. United would not only have first option, but once Sir Alex Ferguson retired, he would guarantee that Gordon get that job.

That’s not loyalty.

That’s selling out your employer, your employees and most of all your country. I no longer consider Gordon a friend, mentor or even a fellow Scott.

To me that man is scum.”

Strong words from Cox, I think you’ll all agree.

Rumors are again saying that all hope of the former fan favourite getting a job at his former club are ruined, and even Glasgow rivals, Rangers players have gone out against Cox.

Walter Smith in particular had some strong off-the-record comments on his former rival. This reporter would love to publish the comment, but quite frankly most people wouldn’t believe the grammar Mr. Smith tended to rely on. He has sided with Strachan's opinion on the matter, stating that Cox is simply lying, hoping for some media focus to help his miniscule career on.

There are doubts about him ever working in the country again."

CHAPTER 2: MY LIFE IS OVER

Wow they took that tough didn't they? Looking back at those old articles really hurt. No faith, no love.

No life.

It's been just over a year since those matters, and my oh my unemployment is awful.

Seriously.

All my self respect is gone, pride? Zero. Zilch.

Taking the bus everyday now, saving money for as long as I can. Little teenage scumbags are a handful too. I'm 6 foot 3 and yet these little arseholes keep coming up and mocking my credentials. That never happened as a twenty-year old on the up at Celtic, and it damn sure never happened as a youth player at Crystal Palace.

Which reminds me, Neil Warnock has just been sacked at Palace, they were expected to come close to the play-off's but finished 15th instead.

Might give that job a try, considering that I started off this disaster of a career there...

Always remember where telling the truth and exposing nasty agendas and lies gets you kids.

Nowhere.

17-6-08- "COX CONSIDERED BY THE CRYSTAL PALACE BOARD TO RETURN TO FOOTBALL?

It's been almost a year since the events never mentioned by anyone in football. Maybe he was correct and Mr. Gordon Strachan changed his mind and has kept a huge cover up. Maybe. But certainly not likely.

Current Crystal Palace players have been giving alot of praise to exiled manager Fonda Cox.

Carl Fletcher announced

"He'd do a world of good.

Shake the club up.

He's got alot of loyalty and has to prove himself, sounds familiar eh? So does this Crystal Palace team"

I'm ready and waiting for his arrival". "

My god on the twenty seventh of june 2008 I sweated alot.

NEVER WEAR A WHITE SHIRT DURING SUMMER TO A JOB INTERVIEW!

I announced that in a two year plan, I could get the club into the English premiership. Simon Jordan, the club's chairman took a shine to me and says he'll update me on the situation in a few days.

1-7-08 "COX ANNOUNCED AS NEW CRYSTAL PALACE MANAGER"

"It has been announced by Simon Jordan that Fonda Cox is the new Crystal Palace manager, after a whole year of waiting.

His return to football is a shock to many people, with alot of rumblings going on in Glasgow, least of all.

Cox announced "I aim to take this historic club to success. Using loyalty, drive and determination as only I know how.

There are doubts in the minds of many about my ability, but to those I say forget the past, this is the present, and ask them kindly to turn the other cheek and give me a second chance, just as Mr Jordan has."

I was stunned. I wanted a quick press conference, quickly get into the job.

I offered many of the current Coaches and Scouts mutual termination, instead bringing in my own list of staff. Finally, I replaced my Assistant Manager with Mick Jones a 60 year old man that has a high level of discipline and can coach the youth team aswell. The youth are a huge concern of mine, here I have some fantastic youth at my disposal.

I now have a problem. Since I had to partially pay off the old staff with my transfer budget well... Now I have no money.

No transfer money and I'm only 20k under my wage budget. I've got to add some experience to the side, and eventually the youth will be able to take over.

My first dealings in the transfer market were to release Simon Thomas from his contract on the reservies, as he was a 23 year old that looked to have no football future ahead of him. I never like releasing my talent, but in this case it was very necessary.

I then loaned James Dayton to Aldershot. I've been told he will gain a great deal of first team experience there, as will Arron Fray another young player sent off to Luton.

Then the signings.

I spent a long time looking over the list of players currently without a club... and managed some major signings.

Johan Micoud joined on a free, looking to add some experience to the squad. He looks fantastic. Despite being aged 34, he's got some pace and should last me at least this season.

My second signing was Luigi Di Biagio. The former Inter Milan centre back is 36, but has 36 international caps to his credit and I could see him going on to become a member of staff in the future. He is a back up to my two centre backs, Clint Hill and Jose Fonte.

Also, I loaned Kevin Etuhu and Daryl Murphy from Manchester City and Sunderland respectively, and Etuhu looks amazing, he can play in midfield or as a striker, and will make a great supplier to a target man striker. Murphy will perhaps replace Finnish striker Shefki Kuqi as main striker, I like my main striker to have some height and Murphy at 6"2' has that in abundance.

I'm also trying to negotiate the board into getting me a feeder club. I was given a list of Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal. To me the answer was obvious. Arsenal create some amazing talent and I really hope this deal goes through.

""CRYSTAL PALACE ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP WITH ARSENAL"

Crystal Palace have announced a partnership with Premier League giants, Arsenal.

Arsenal will be able to loan out players to Palace, with Palace paying no wage contributions

This certainly looks like a dream partnership for both sides, with Crystal Palace gaining Arsenals youth, and Arsenal's youth gaining some fantastic first-team experience."

I was delighted at this sensational news and quickly loaned some players.

Arsenal offered me Rene Steer, a 17 year old left back not able for the first team, but by the end of the season may be a solid back-up, as I don't have a great left back in my first team at the moment.

I then went for the team and made some good aquisitions:

Gavin Hoyte - A centre or right back that could be a decent back up for my defence, especially if Di Biagio's legs don't hold up... Which I fear they may not.

Amaury Bischoff - A twenty year old centre midfielder, that will go right into the first team as a defensive midfielder, among either Carl Fletcher or Watson.

Unfortunately, Watson approached me this morning and asked why I hadn't spoken to him yet, as he is clearly an indispensible member of the squad. I told him that he was no better than anyone else in the squad, and is a first team player with alot of potential. He's been annoyed since, and I'd rather sell him, despite some great potential, then put up with some sulking.

That led me to loaning Daniel Imhoff from Bochum. Imhoff is a 29 year old that can replace Watson while he's decided to have a tantrum. So far it's just a one month deal, but I may extend it if I see fit.

As I didn't know the team too well, I rotated my First team and reserves during the opening friendlies of the season. These friendlies helped me choose what would eventually become my first team. The results of the friendlies were:

CP 4 - 0 Darlington - Kuqi bagging two goals, he looks experienced and should make a great first team player throughout the season.

CP 3 - 2 Baltimore - Kuqi scored again, still playing as a lone striker. Also, Fletcher scored. Pretty sure I'll make him my captain. He's the right age, he's an important member of the first team and the boys all look up to him.

CP 6 - 0 AFC Wimbledon - Two Kuqi goals, two goals from the amazing Victor Moses, a stunning 16 year old. He's tall, has alot of strength and I can see this guy becoming a massive player in the future.

Through these friendlies, I decided to keep the formation I've always liked and created myself. I've got a few in my head, but I'll give this one a shot, it'll make for some beautiful football, a 4-2-3-1 using wing-backs

I decided to make Carl Fletcher my Captain and Micoud my Vice Captain. Both players have experience and both are respected by their fellow team mates.

Leading into my first championship game against Blackpool, I was confident. I would defy the media. They expect me to scrape 11th place, surely there's no hope of promotion with teams like Birmingham, Reading, Derby, Charlton and more in the league? Well, I want to land right outside the Playoff zone by the end of the season. Our team isn't particularly strong in my opinion, but I'll have to pull off a miracle to get us promoted... That'd be a miracle. But it'd also be suicide.

Wow, it's been a while. That smell, the roar, the chants of the supporters. Both estatic that the football season has begun.

15,392 fans, all bloodthirsty... waiting to see how I'd fare against the pressure of the English Championship...

My squad was a mixture of quality as I viewed them emerge from the tunnel.

GK: Speroni - a player that'll soon be replaced by the current number two Flinders, a young man I want to make it into the England team eventually. I wasn't totally convinced by Speroni's quality

LB: Wiggins - A 19 year old that's going to be rotated in and out of the side. He's not too solid defensively, but I need a versatile wing-back, and he should satisfy that need. Hopefully the nerves won't get to him

CB: Di Biagio - Time to find out if he can manage a major league. He's got no pace and I'm really depending on him using his brain to controll his man.

CB: Hill - The would-be number one left back must play in the centre today, as Fonte, my best centre back is injured.

RB: Ertl - I'm doubtful on this young man, I'll have to learn more as the season progresses...

CM: Fletcher - No doubts here, a very solid player

CM: Watson - Thinks alot of himself, now time to find out if he can step up to the big time.

AMC: Micoud - Probably the most technically gifted player in my squad

AMC: Moses - The 16 year old I'm hoping will be able to play. He's just a young lad, I've got to make a healthy balance between first team experience and nurturing him.

AMC: Etuhu - The solid loan deal from Man City, also technically gifted and has alot of pace.

ST: Kuqi - He impressed during pre-season, and despite being 30 he's got some pace and is a fantastic finisher.

MATCH REPORT:

DISASTER: 20 mins - Blackpool score

On thirty minutes, Kuqi slotted home a magnificent through ball from Micoud.

42 minutes: Wiggins gets sent off for a headbutt on the opposing team. Real smart. He's a young player and he'll have to keep that element of aggression out of his game. I was livid.

At half time I told the lads a draw at home wasn't acceptable. They were to go out and dominate.

Micoud takes a corner on 60 minutes, a glimmer in his eye. Di Biagio was in the box, I was biting my nails, if the ball doesn't go back out of play we're screwed, Biagio needs a taxi to make it to the other end of the field in any acceptable amount of time.

BAM! Goal from Di Biagio. Fantastic header, over the 'keeper's head and it's 2-1.

The match was nearly over when the defence fell asleep and Blackpool equalised... damn it, 2-2 and that remained... The final score.

I told the squad after the match that it was a decent start, we've all got to gel together and that'll happen (Hopefully sooner than later).

Archived