FM Genie Scout 2009?

Cadijk van Kaarhandel

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like all of these utility producers, they are dammed if they give a deadline then have problems and cant keep it and dammed if they dont give a deadline.

After the abuse he took last year, it is surprising that he gives any deadlines at all.

to be fair, if you want to moan about Genie not being released within a time frame that suits you, why dont you try making a scout?

the dude doesnt get paid for it, and does it in his spare time.. give him a break.

He does get paid through donations, i've donated AUD$15-$20 for each past 3 versions.

If he wants money for each copy rather than through donations, so be it! Just release it max 2 weeks after FM release date.

make sure you untick "compress saved game" then save, then open in genie

yeah, that was the problem i had at first

error.jpg

then once i'd saved an uncompressed game & went to load it in Genie i got this

error2.jpg

i've sent the dump file off to Genie.

can this thing edit stats or is it just a viewer?

not "just", but you know what i mean. i really need the ability to edit more than anything...

HUZZAAAAAAHH!!!!!!

*runs around screaming like MacMurphy when the Chief raises his hand*

it works!!!

i think it was the fact that i was trying to load games saved from the demo.

once i loaded up a new game & saved that it worked from there.

now to see if it edits

*fingers crossed*

If somebody Could post their thoughts on Genie 09 I think it would be helpful for people to decide if they wish to use the standard (free) version of the scout or pay $10 and get the CA/PA sale value version.

Is it really that much different?

Does everything that supposed to work on the pay version work correctly?(rather than paying for it then finding out it doesn't work how you would expect it to work)

What can the pay version do that the standard version can't do?

I have read what Genie stated on his website but I find it a bit confusing.

I'm sure it would be very useful for somebody to explain everything in simpler terms.

Cheers

Free version has no hidden attributes mate, so no CA or PA, no hidden attributes like Professionalism, Injury Proneness etc, just the same attributes you see in the game.

Also you can't see sale value and things like this.

But you can look at a player, see their rating and even potential rating so it makes you think whether CA/PA not being there is really that important because you can already see the projected future rating.

You can't search using potential rating though.

I don't think the missing features are really worth that much, but I also don't want that to be seen as advocating this Gene making the program more expensive or less functional in future. I personally don't support this because Nygreen set the template for this program and all.

free version doesn't have CA, PA, sale value, well...that's the reason why 90% of people uses this kind of scouts, and we have 3 kind of scouts already and they're free...so who's gonna pay? I agree paying the lad for some donations and he deserves it for all the hard work but this is dumb

I'm still torn. Was said I'd make a donation, propably will next tuesday, but not sure yet. This is no longer a donation, it's now "shareware". Much different. This would be a purchase, rather than a donation, and as a purchased I'd need to know:

After FM patch, will there be a new scout immediatly upon release? No excuse for university, work, dog, children, etc.. as when money is made, customer support is necessary.

Will saved game load issuesly without errors?

When applying filters to a player search it works first time - however once you save the filter and then reapply it to a player search then it fails to work. This is because suddenly preferred moves which you added are checked but when you uncheck them the search results in no players being found.

Help please?

its a shame that a great program has been ruined by a forced donation to unlock the best aspect of it

most the users who use Genie dont have a credit card or paypal

Agreed. That's the reason i CAN'T donate, even if I wanted to.

Im use a Mac.. so I have no reason to use or download this software

but I dont understand why Genie is preventing 80% of his target market from using his software? As a manager of my own business, I would never prevent people from using or accessing my products

I understand that he works hard on it, and rightly deserves a small donation as a thank you.. but forcing people into donating is simply not the way

This is a disgrace! I knew this was coming when Genie had that survey in one version of the Scout a couple of years back. I answered I would never pay for something like this, and I won't. I just wonder how Nygreen will feel now that the guy he gave the source code to for free is actually charging money for it. Luckily there are other programs out there, although as a scout utility, Genie Scout was the best until this release.

Im use a Mac.. so I have no reason to use or download this software

but I dont understand why Genie is preventing 80% of his target market from using his software? As a manager of my own business, I would never prevent people from using or accessing my products

I understand that he works hard on it, and rightly deserves a small donation as a thank you.. but forcing people into donating is simply not the way

So does your business give away its products for nothing??

Thought not.

I'm amazed at all this negitivity.

Why shouldn't the guy be rewarded for his hard work??

If you don't want to pay for it then don't.

10 dollar is a bit steep. 5 would be more than fair and that I would be willing to pay.

But even then, only if I was guaranteed to get quick updates to the program to be compatible with future FM patches.

But it is not 5 dollar and I do not have that guarantee, so why on earth would I consider 'donating' (this is really an abuse to the word donating)?

The curious thing is that this is not a finished product (RC1 - Release Candidate 1) but, to get it fully functioning, or rather to get it fully functioning in order to help test it (errors abound, it appears) one still has to pay the $10.

And as questioned here, who guarantees that all the errors (loading errors, as was also the same in the previous, FM2008, version) will be resolved and, maybe more important, when? If one remembers well, it look an awfully long, long time, for the previous version to have those loading errors ironed out. And it actually never left the beta stage.

Paying for beta and, clearly, fatally bugged software? That's a novel concept, I must say.

He says:

However, the most expecting users can still use all the old program options without limits to make even deeper analysis of the game by supporting the project with a voluntary donation of at least $10

Well i don't want to make that voluntary donation so can i still have it free;)

It won't be long before you won't have to pay for it. Take a read of this

I must say I am quite surprised to see that you have started charging for the full version of your great scouting utility. Especially because I know Genie Scout is built on the basis of an application developed by someone else, the original Scout developed by Nygreen. I guess it is possible that Nygreen is either receiving part of the money you are making from "donations" or that he has told you it is ok for you to charge people, but that isn't really what this post is about anyway.

As already stated Genie Scout is based on the source code from Nygreen's original scout, so I started searching for this source code, to see if it is available somewhere and I found it, http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmeditors. The interesting thing that I noticed on that webpage is that if you look under details, you will see that the source code is covered by the GNU General Public License. What this means is that anyone releasing modified versions is also required to release the modified source code. A FAQ about the GPL license can be found here http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html for anyone interested in how this license works.

So basically Genie you have been breaking this license since the very first version of Genie Scout, I would very much like to read your response to this, and would also like to know when you are intending on releasing your modified source code.

Posted on genies forums.

By the way, anyone know what coding language it has been used in?

Eh, I think we are missing the main issue here. It won't just be Nygreen that is ****ed this guy is making money off his source code won't SI be a bit miffed that someone is using a utility to inderectly make money from their product name? I take it they are not gettin a cut from any of these 'donations' are they?

You have got a cheek calling it a 'donation'. A donation is when someone makes the choice to give money and chooses the amount. Charging people for a 3rd party utility is totally against the 'spirit of the game'. Boooo.

eh, i think we are missing the main issue here. It won't just be nygreen that is ****ed this guy is making money off his source code won't si be a bit miffed that someone is using a utility to inderectly make money from their product name? I take it they are not gettin a cut from any of these 'donations' are they?

You have got a cheek calling it a 'donation'. A donation is when someone makes the choice to give money and chooses the amount. Charging people for a 3rd party utility is totally against the 'spirit of the game'. Boooo.

hear hear!

You guys are complete idiots. Genie does not have to make this program, if you are really upset about paying $10 then you need to man up. It is about £7, no money at all. If he decides to charge for the program then that is up to him. What would you do if he said he was not going to create anything like this any more?

I won't be paying for the update, as i will just use other tools. Also people saying he is still Nygreens work, he had to reprogramme the scout for FM 07 so it is different.

You guys are complete idiots. Genie does not have to make this program, if you are really upset about paying $10 then you need to man up. It is about £7, no money at all. If he decides to charge for the program then that is up to him. What would you do if he said he was not going to create anything like this any more?

I won't be paying for the update, as i will just use other tools. Also people saying he is still Nygreens work, he had to reprogramme the scout for FM 07 so it is different.

We need to man up yet your not paying for the update?

£7 for a utility for a game that i only paid £14 for? When there are many scouts etc available for free and when the scout framework was released as well...

Its not a matter of manning up, its a matter of common sense

Archived