Are You playing with your hometown team?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started as Leeds in 08 but quickly started again as it was a joke.

surely this year will be easier to get them out of league 1

but looking forward to the challenge.

Yeah so did I but the original bug stopped any possible progress.

I've just started with Guiseley after holidaying one season. They were promoted at the end of 2007/08.

Crawley Town, Brighton and Palace are closest to me.

I like to play as the latter 2 as I have quite a few friends coming through their academies so its always cool to try and mould your mate in to the Premierships next best footballer. LOL

Depends what you mean as hometown.

I always start a game as Chester as they are the nearest football league team to where I live. But I always try and get the Blackburn job a few years in as that's where I was born and raised and are the team that I support.

However, in FM08 every time I apply for the Blackburn job I don't get it. Even though I've won the Prem, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League as well as the Super Cup and World Club Championship numerous times and won the Euros and World Cup as England boss.

My home town team is Warrington, so they're not available. Closest would be Everton/Liverpool or Wigan, probably. I could manage Worcester, my place of birth, but haven't. I used to live in Sunderland and since then I have an occassional game as them. Everton are the team I support and always the first team I'll play as

Well I am from Manchester, so I often have a long save with the red half of Manchester.

However, I have lived in Leeds since I was 7, and given that on FM08 they started in League 1 with -15 points, I had a game with them.................before the save corrupted after winning League 1 in season one. ;(

I was born in Hitchin and so, on rare occasions, I have been known to manage the Canaries if they get promoted up after the 1st season.

I also am from Hitchin, but as yet I've only seen them promoted once (whereupon I took them over, got promoted and fizzled out in the BSP). I usually play a game or two with Man City, whom I support (local to my parents before they move down south) to see where I can go with them, before giving up and pottering about starting games up to play as any team which takes my interest for more than a few seconds.

I moved Whitley Bay into the Conference North in FM06 so that I could manage them and had great fun, eventually winning almost everything over the course of 20 years (although bizarrely, until the final season when I won a second League Cup, the only trophy we ever won twice was the European Super Cup!).

I have briefly managed Bolton (my original home town) in the past, but never in a serious game. Had Horwich RMI remained Horwich RMI then they would have been my home team and I would definitely have had a bash at managing them, but since they decamped to Leigh (and I think have now disappeared completely and been replaced by a new Leigh club...) they no longer felt like my home team since Bolton Wanderers were closer. I moved up to Whitley Bay 3 years ago though so they are now my home town team :)

Now for the first time I am playing the club I work for (new home town as well of course) and once in the past I also played my real home town club for which I also played myself.

Usually however I start playing in England where those are not an option.

Always play with Shrewsbury Town (where I was born and whom I support) and Burton Albion (where I live) in my second and third games respectively - I prefer to start as unemployed in my first game and work my way up. :)

Always play with Shrewsbury Town (where I was born and whom I support) and Burton Albion (where I live) in my second and third games respectively - I prefer to start as unemployed in my first game and work my way up. :)

I'd have thought starying with Burton Albion gives plenty of scope for working your way up, there isn't a whole lot down from there :p

I always start my first ever game on a new version of FM as my hometown team and the team I support (the two should always be the same thing), Darlington. Its a labour of love dragging them up the divisions time after time. If only we could manage that IRL (seventeen seasons in the fourth tier and counting).

i always do bolton files, cos its the team i support, but at some pint i always go local and do southampton or eastliegh. will do afc totton when they get to bss :D

I always help out Southampton coz thats where Im from, but usually by loaning them players and giving em all Chelseas money!

i always do bolton files, cos its the team i support, but at some pint i always go local and do southampton or eastliegh. will do afc totton when they get to bss :D

I hope to see afc totton next year in fm2010 as its the nearest team to where i grew up. At the moment i always go for eastleigh (currently in championship!), i avoid saints even though i support them IRL, i just prefer to built small clubs up.

My home team is Rosenborg from Norway, but I don't really play them alot... I love them too much, afraid to fail hehe...

My really local team is called Kolstad, but it's one division lower than FM08 allows in Norway..

Something I do like however, is to play teams local to where I've been on holiday. Frankfurth, Valencia, Beauvais, etc etc... Anyone else do this?

My hometown team is Falmouth Town who are not in the database.

The closest team to me in the database is Truro City, but they are un playable because they are too crap.

The closest playable team to where I live is Plymouth Argyle, 60 miles away... and I've never played as them.

I abhor the fact that so many people on here are referring to their local non-League team as 'crap'. Some of you ought to go and watch your local club and you would realise that a lot of the players playing at this level are just as passionate (perhaps even more so) than your Football League or Premiership stars. Furthermore, games at non-League level are just as entertaining, tense and enjoyable as games at the top (in fact the case is that they are often more so in my experience).

Just started a new game with my local team Wick Academy. Although they are in the Highland League I changed them with Annan in the Scottish 3rd division. Weird when you have your mates in the team, and you have to get rid of them as they are hopeless lol.

Nah I don't think I'm good enough for LLM, I always just start with Newcastle United.

Occasionally, I start unemployed.

A quick question about the last thing you said, about starting unemployed. Can you get a job in England or Italy if you start unemployed and your nationality is not English or Italian.

I abhor the fact that so many people on here are referring to their local non-League team as 'crap'. Some of you ought to go and watch your local club and you would realise that a lot of the players playing at this level are just as passionate (perhaps even more so) than your Football League or Premiership stars. Furthermore, games at non-League level are just as entertaining, tense and enjoyable as games at the top (in fact the case is that they are often more so in my experience).

I agree with this. I'm a lifelong Everton fan, but tired with Premier LEague football, have experimented with lower league football at Cowdenbeath whenever I'm on holiday in Scotland, my local side Warrington, and the team I now go to the most, Lancaster City. a Lancaster game is just much, much more enjoyable than an Everton one, not to mention thirty quid cheaper. And there's something about drinking in the club bar with the players afterward and discussing the game with the manager (the mighty Barrie Stimpson) that makes it more of a pleasant experience than watching millionaires running around. And non-league players are playing for their careers in a way that Pros aren't, hence the increased passion, but the penalties for defeat and the rewards for victory aren't measured in millions of pounds, helps make it less stressful for a spectator. I woud recommend that anyone with a non-league or lower-league team in their town should go along for the experience. And without Cowdenbeath, I wouldn't have found myself in a crowd of 500 watching a 0-0 draw at a cold, wet Hampden Park

I agree with this. I'm a lifelong Everton fan, but tired with Premier LEague football, have experimented with lower league football at Cowdenbeath whenever I'm on holiday in Scotland, my local side Warrington, and the team I now go to the most, Lancaster City. a Lancaster game is just much, much more enjoyable than an Everton one, not to mention thirty quid cheaper. And there's something about drinking in the club bar with the players afterward and discussing the game with the manager (the mighty Barrie Stimpson) that makes it more of a pleasant experience than watching millionaires running around. And non-league players are playing for their careers in a way that Pros aren't, hence the increased passion, but the penalties for defeat and the rewards for victory aren't measured in millions of pounds, helps make it less stressful for a spectator. I woud recommend that anyone with a non-league or lower-league team in their town should go along for the experience. And without Cowdenbeath, I wouldn't have found myself in a crowd of 500 watching a 0-0 draw at a cold, wet Hampden Park

Lovely story you got there but that last example is nothing compared to traveling 1 hour 45 minutes from liverpool to manchester (bad traffic) to watch a 1-1 draw between Bury reserves and Accrington stanley reserves with a crowd of under 30 people. Dont ask why but i was really forced into it. But that point of being tired of watching the millionaires of Everton, i have to disagree there i got a season ticket at Everton and go and watch Marine now and again and much rather prefer watching Everton.

• 10 months later...

Archived