Trying hard with Grimsby

Hi guys, over the years I have tried very hard to be a success with the team I support, Grimsby Town.  However I continue to fail miserably. 

I see lots of guides by people in how to set up a tactic, but almost all of them seem to be for higher leagues than where I ply my trade.  I guess there are some people somewhere who have a guide for how to set up a lower league side, but I don't really know where to look in this massive archive, so if anyone has knowledge of where I might find some of these gems, I would be truly grateful if you could point me in their direction.  Thank you.

25 minutes ago, Internomad said:

Hi guys, over the years I have tried very hard to be a success with the team I support, Grimsby Town.  However I continue to fail miserably. 

I see lots of guides by people in how to set up a tactic, but almost all of them seem to be for higher leagues than where I ply my trade.  I guess there are some people somewhere who have a guide for how to set up a lower league side, but I don't really know where to look in this massive archive, so if anyone has knowledge of where I might find some of these gems, I would be truly grateful if you could point me in their direction.  Thank you.

Hi

Sure is difficult I spent a long time on Fm17 with Accrington. Luckily I had a few advantages, I took over near end of season 1 when they nearly went down so expectations were very very low. This gave me time to build from within and slowly improve the side over 4 seasons which resulted in mid table, promotion, relegation and then play offs (league one)

Try and find players mentally strong with good decisions and concentration would be my first tip. Use whatever youngsters you have or can find to get around the pitch and put the yards in.

good luck

14 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Pretty much all the guides are relevant to any level of football.  The same principles apply regardless of the level at which you are playing.

strongly disagree

the majority of tactical guides on here are about top sides or at least sides with budgets and at a fair level (because most people play with those teams)

Trying to make your league 2/national league side play with such a tactic/setup is very unlikely to work on many levels

I don't mean to start an "I agree/disagree" discussion here, but @herne79 is right: guides can be applied to every level of football. Problably straight copying the tactic/set up in those guides won't, but that isn't the objective of such guides anyway

17 hours ago, herne79 said:

Pretty much all the guides are relevant to any level of football.  The same principles apply regardless of the level at which you are playing.

You may be right, however if you look at the following, taken from Rashidis "12 Steps To Creating a Tactic", I am pretty certain you will have no chance of finding a player with good numbers in all those attributes in League 2.

For example, I want to play a winger in a structured shape and I want him to attack the space out wide. Then I will need him to have 

Go into and Attack Space - Acceleration, off the ball, anticipation, determination.

Once he gets there, I need him to control the ball - First Touch, balance, agility. 

Finally I need him to dribble with the ball go down the flank and cross - Dribbling, Crossing.

Stop taking guides as set in stone gospel rules. Use your own intellect to know you can go outside of what is written. You can play anyway you like in any league regardless. Yes players are poorer but so is everyone in the league., You can still get high attribute players in your league. Everything is relative to the league you play in.

My setup is in everyway different now I am in the premier than when I started at the bottom of league 2 infact the only thing the same is two young players who saved me right back then

Neither of these are principles of football like @herne79 mention. One is how you've evolved as you became more successful and one is player related, both have nothing at all to with what tactical guides as such. Unless you've changed your style, then the fundamental basics principles of any football style you create should stay constant and be the same. Hence why they're called footballing concepts/principles. 

It doesn't matter if you play counter attacking, attacking, possession football etc it's all the same regardless of the country or league you play in. Principles of football do not change and it doesn't mean you can't play any style you want just because you're stuck down in the Conference and not in the Premiership. All that happens the higher you go up the league is you can attract better quality of players to reinforce the ideology you're creating in your system. But the principles and fundamentals will still be the same.

If a guide is talking about a certain level of quality in a player, transfer budgets and so on, then it's not a tactical principles thread to begin with. They'll just be talking about a specific tactic. There's a massive difference between talking about a tactic and footballing principles. 

Guest El Payaso
22 hours ago, Whoarethey? said:

strongly disagree

the majority of tactical guides on here are about top sides or at least sides with budgets and at a fair level (because most people play with those teams)

Trying to make your league 2/national league side play with such a tactic/setup is very unlikely to work on many levels

That simply is a wrong statement. I've been playing short passing possessional football highly successfully with Ebbsfleet FC.

FM doesn't seem to be too demanding in terms of attributes needed as long as you setup a sensible tactic. 

22 hours ago, Whoarethey? said:

strongly disagree

Actually most of my guides and my Gloucester city saves started with me managing LLM. However the principles are all the same, and FM is very easy to get grips with. SI made the game easy, and since FM15 its become even easier. FM17 was a better challenge than 16 and 15, but the principles are the same. Pay attention to the right attributes and make a sensible tactic and you win. Now with FM18 we even have match plans, so theoretically speaking, one could just create match scenarios go make coffee, win the game. Get new players, do the scenarios again get the right players, maybe draw the next game.

IF SI wanted this game to become Big Blue they could, they haven't. Its a really simple formula to get things right.

15 minutes ago, Whoarethey? said:

wont bother then chaps

talk about how to belittle someone fairly new to the forums.

"a wrong statement" the final straw, ill stick to the general threads

No-one belittled you. People are just telling you how things work and pointing out the differences between principles and tactics. If you're new to the forums then welcome and don't take things to heart. Maybe as the new person, it's probably worth holding back on telling people you 'strongly disagree' straight off the bat (especially as that person was 100% correct in what they said) and people might react to you in a better manner when all those people were doing, was trying to help in the first place. People are only trying to help and dealing with how the game actually works, no need to be offended. People mean well :).

1 minute ago, Whoarethey? said:

I stated earlier in thread I respectfully disagree however to be told I have made a "wrong statement" just turns me away tbh

Plenty telling me im wrong now which is fine, good luck all

Its a discussion forum. How is it okay for you to say you 'strongly disagree' yet get offended when people do the exact same back? Stop taking things to heart and making them out to be bigger than they are. It's fine to be corrected when someone is wrong. It doesn't mean its anything personal.

6 hours ago, Internomad said:

You may be right, however if you look at the following, taken from Rashidis "12 Steps To Creating a Tactic", I am pretty certain you will have no chance of finding a player with good numbers in all those attributes in League 2.

For example, I want to play a winger in a structured shape and I want him to attack the space out wide. Then I will need him to have 

Go into and Attack Space - Acceleration, off the ball, anticipation, determination.

Once he gets there, I need him to control the ball - First Touch, balance, agility. 

Finally I need him to dribble with the ball go down the flank and cross - Dribbling, Crossing.

I am not asking you to find players who are good in all those numbers, I am asking you to LOOK at those numbers when a particular thing fails you can understand  why, cos you don't need to be very good, you just need to be better than the opposition on the day. And in L2 you will find that all the numbers are relative, if you read any of the guides they will say so. So if the league comparison says you need to shoot for 11 to be competitive than a 11 for dribbling is good in the league.

You are assuming that you need godly numbers. Good think you raised this point, cos I can see you've misunderstood. So I have added a caveat to the post.

Guest El Payaso
1 hour ago, Whoarethey? said:

disagreeing is not the same as someone saying "you are wrong" not in my world anyway

Like I say Ill stick to the general threads 

good luck

My aim was not to offend. I simply just told you that you are able to do exactly same things no matter what level of football you are managing in. 

They might have more tendency to play for example long balls at the lower levels than they actually need to but otherwise it is possible to even play tiki taka at the lowest level of England. 

Archived