"[Player] asked to speak to the other club" option in "why did you sell him?" chats

cregan

In the January window on my FM18 save with Bordeaux, Shanghai Shanggang came in with an offer for Toulalan, the club captain and one of its two team leaders. On the offer screen was the message that "his agent has indicated that Toulalan wishes to speak to the club", and since the offer was equal to his value and I didn't want him sulking and bringing the squad down with him - I'd taken over with them in the bottom three - I accepted. He duly agreed terms, saying in the news item post-transfer that he moved for his family's financial security, and since they're paying him £150k p/w rather than the £30k-odd he was getting at Girondins, who can blame him? Fair enough.

15 players objected to the sale - which is also fair enough - led by one of our highly influential midfielders. But why isn't there an option in the conversation that ensues to say "I only sold him because the player said he wanted to discuss terms" given that that's feedback you get from the transferred player himself? Telling them "we needed to cut the wage bill" had a grain of truth to it, but like every other option on the list wasn't the reason I'd sold him, and while 9 players accepted it, I've now got a sulking six to deal with who are unhappy with the way I treated Toulalan (y'know, giving him exactly what he wanted).

Surely it would be pretty simple to add this to the list of conversation options when it was appropriate, and even if some players still argued that "you should've put the club's interests first" or whatever, that'd at least make more sense.

I'd also like this to be implemented in the press conferences. 

The whole "Why have you sold this player, the fans fear it is a bad decision" question needs to have an answer that allows me to throw them under the bus.

I want to say; "The player was angling for a move" - in cases where he desired talks and...

"He demanded a move, so sod him." - for instances where players actually come out and demand to be allowed to leave. For example, I had Juan Mata demand a move away from United as he wanted a new challenge, so I sold him on. No option in the media to say it was his desire, his demands that I acquiesced to. And of course, the fans were unhappy with the sale. I'd like us to be able to say "It was him who engineered the move" and the fans should potentially have their relationship eroded with the player as a result.

• 1 month later...

Archived