Fail to understand why resolution settings were removed

I am very disappointed at SI's decision to remove resolution settings from FM. Personally, I find the stock answer of 'just change your native res' to be insufficient, considering this was a feature of FM17 (and several editions before it), and the vast majority of contemporary games have this feature. I have searched the forums and have found that my complaint is in no way unique; in fact, some people can't even change their native resolution for various reasons and are stuck with a game that is unplayable/very difficult to play.

Please consider adding resolution settings to the final game SI!

A Mildly Disillusioned FM Fan

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AlexEmbers said:

I am very disappointed at SI's decision to remove resolution settings from FM. Personally, I find the stock answer of 'just change your native res' to be insufficient, considering this was a feature of FM17 (and several editions before it), and the vast majority of contemporary games have this feature. I have searched the forums and have found that my complaint is in no way unique; in fact, some people can't even change their native resolution for various reasons and are stuck with a game that is unplayable/very difficult to play.

Please consider adding resolution settings to the final game SI!

A Mildly Disillusioned FM Fan

Partly what Jam_Man has said above. Just to explain on last year's version we had Full Screen, Windowed Mode and Maximised Borderless Windowed mode. We've removed the old style of Full Screen and replaced it with Maximised Borderless. Essentially users who play FM often drop out of the game and onto their desktop for music/browsing etc. Full Screen mode had never been designed to do this particularly well and wasn't really suitable for doing so. 

11 minutes ago, Jam_Man said:

Why do you need to?

If your monitor is 1080 run it at 1080 and change the size of text/images using the slider?

What am I missing? Ive never changed the resolution of the game , although most of the time its windowed anyway.

Because otherwise I get eye strain - I've got a 4k laptop and the sliders don't go past 200%, which is still too small to comfortably see. Hopefully someone will release a mod or something to increase the options.

3 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Partly what Jam_Man has said above. Just to explain on last year's version we had Full Screen, Windowed Mode and Maximised Borderless Windowed mode. We've removed the old style of Full Screen and replaced it with Maximised Borderless. Essentially users who play FM often drop out of the game and onto their desktop for music/browsing etc. Full Screen mode had never been designed to do this particularly well and wasn't really suitable for doing so. 

I know nothing about game design, so fair enough if this would be really difficult to re-insert in the new game, but I just cannot understand why full screen was removed altogether. If Maximised Borderless Windowed mode is the optimal option, stick a '(recommended)' next to it, don't arbitrarily limit players' choice. I play lots of games and run many different applications and FM is the only one that forces me to change my native resolution to play it properly. I know it's a small issue, but it leaves a sour taste considering how configurable previous games were.

I'm with the original poster here.

I am using a high-spec laptop with 32GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card and a 4K screen. I always play FM in windowed-mode. However, this will mean that I am running the game in 4K mode, which is ridiculous for a game which does not have much graphical demands. This is making my laptop work ridiculously hard to process the game in 4K, when a 1080p resolution would be more than sufficient.

I've down-scaled my screen to a 1080p resolution, however, the game did not 'resolute' properly. More importantly, it is a huge pain having to alter the overall display settings of my laptop just to accommodate FM (if it worked). Most games provide people with resolution options to run their game at. This appeared in FM17, but most screen resolution options were grayed out for me, meaning I could only use the 4K windowed-mode.

I've been unable to run FM17 or the FM18 Beta for long on my 4K laptop, since the whole computer ends up becoming sluggish and unresponsive. I've put this down to the laptop having to process the game in 4K resolution when it certainly doesn't need to be. Please can SI recognize this problem with 4K monitors? This is the difference between playing and not playing FM at all.

Archived