Player recommendations vs Player stats

When transferring a player or getting rid of one of your players, how much do you compare scout rec vs player stats?

Miedfielder ex:

Player 1: Scout's recommendation 2.5/5 but passing/technique/first touch/composure/vision/teamwork > 15/16

Player 2: Scout's recommendation 3/5 but stats between 13-16 

They're both 24 yo. Is there a chance the player will develop more in the future with game time and proper training?

Take Sergi Samper for instance:

samper.jpg

With those midfielder stats, why is he just 2 (maybe 3)/5 - Yes, i've scouted him before and he was no more than 2.5, but LOOK AT THOSE STATS (expression of amazement compared to his potential, not rage). This I cannot comprehend.

Is he worth 40mil?

First of all, star ratings always are relative to the strength of your squad and not to their attributes. Then, and that's more personal, I've always felt FM puts a huge emphasis on physical attributes over technical attributes. It's more egregious in the FB positions, where I kept allegedly 2 star players for seasons over 2.5/3 star FBs because the former(s) actually could cross/pass, use their eyes and brains while the latter(s) had abhorrent technical attributes aside from Marking and Tackling but better physical ones.

That said, Semper (EDIT: at least in your picture) isn't exactly a formidable DM at all either and a fairly average CM.

Yup, star ratings are in comparison to other players who play in a similar position in the rest of your squad.

As a yard stick, 2.5/3 stars would be a player roughly equivalent in quality to the rest of your squad.  This will change as the quality of your squad improves.  So for example, put Messi into a poor quality team and he'll have 5 stars because he'll be far superior in comparison to other attacking midfielders/strikers.  But put him into a team that is already stuffed full of Messi clones, and he'll be 2.5/3 stars.

I'm simplifying but hopefully you get the picture.  You should also note that scouts can be wrong and the quality of their reports will improve the more you scout a player + the scout's own attributes in judging ability.

Having said all that, attributes are king.  A 2.5 star player with the right attributes for the role you want him to play is better than a 4 star player with the wrong attributes.  Obviously a 4 star player with the right attributes will be even better.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, read the scout report not just the attributes.  This will show you more info about hidden attributes such as Consistency, Injury Proneness, Professionalism and so on.  These are every bit as important as the visible attributes:- you can have the best visible attributes in the world, but if he hates big games, is inconsistent, is likely to be sent off and is injury prone you won't get much out of him.

And finally:

1 hour ago, A_BVB_D said:

They're both 24 yo. Is there a chance the player will develop more in the future with game time and proper training?

Yes there is still a chance although that will depend on a number of factors such as how close he already is to fulfilling his potential, quality of matches he plays in, his personality etc.

I might need a midfielder and I'm really looking for spanish players since i have some non-spanish and the CL rules are excruciating (poor transfer periods..what can you do).

Also, this is the scout's report, I have read it and frankly seems like he's a useful player (could not remember why I let him go):

samper2.jpg

But more info after he's being scouted thoroughly.

Other young midfielders in my squad that seem to not pull their weight (or I'm just bad of interpreting the scout's report):

Bazoer:

bazoer.jpg bazoer_report.jpg

Stefano Sensi:

sensi.jpgsensi_report.jpg 

Also have Thiago and Fabregas back to Barca for some tutoring of young players and except 2-3 young strikers, no other fine players from Barca B and Under 19s, but that's something else.

Look into some of the talents of Espanyol. They have fairly great DM prospects (Roca for example). 

Camacho from Wolfsburg is also pretty good. Same goes for Romeu from Southampton. Merino from Newcastle is more of a DLP than DM but also worth a look. As is Rivera from Eibar.

Did you play Bazoer? He's pretty good as DM most of the time for me. Maybe they are too isolated and have to do all the defending alone? Whats your tactic?

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

Yup, star ratings are in comparison to other players who play in a similar position in the rest of your squad.

As a yard stick, 2.5/3 stars would be a player roughly equivalent in quality to the rest of your squad.  This will change as the quality of your squad improves.  So for example, put Messi into a poor quality team and he'll have 5 stars because he'll be far superior in comparison to other attacking midfielders/strikers.  But put him into a team that is already stuffed full of Messi clones, and he'll be 2.5/3 stars.

I'm simplifying but hopefully you get the picture.  You should also note that scouts can be wrong and the quality of their reports will improve the more you scout a player + the scout's own attributes in judging ability.

Having said all that, attributes are king.  A 2.5 star player with the right attributes for the role you want him to play is better than a 4 star player with the wrong attributes.  Obviously a 4 star player with the right attributes will be even better.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, read the scout report not just the attributes.  This will show you more info about hidden attributes such as Consistency, Injury Proneness, Professionalism and so on.  These are every bit as important as the visible attributes:- you can have the best visible attributes in the world, but if he hates big games, is inconsistent, is likely to be sent off and is injury prone you won't get much out of him.

And finally:

Yes there is still a chance although that will depend on a number of factors such as how close he already is to fulfilling his potential, quality of matches he plays in, his personality etc.

I think there is also a bit of randomness thrown in for some players. I have had many over the years who you wouldn’t touch with a barge pole as they were 1.5 or 2*. You suddenly find you have to throw them into the team for some reason and they end up holding down a regular place, with great ratings, for several seasons.

1 hour ago, Seagullfan said:

I think there is also a bit of randomness thrown in for some players. I have had many over the years who you wouldn’t touch with a barge pole as they were 1.5 or 2*. You suddenly find you have to throw them into the team for some reason and they end up holding down a regular place, with great ratings, for several seasons.

Unsurprisingly, form also affects star rating.

Just now, BMNJohn said:

A player in excellent form has a higher star rating.

I’m talking about players that stay for several years at 1.5* but consistently hold down a place and play better than 4* rated layers. Their 1.5* rating never changes

3 minutes ago, Seagullfan said:

I’m talking about players that stay for several years at 1.5* but consistently hold down a place and play better than 4* rated layers. Their 1.5* rating never changes

That's not what I was talking about in the post you quoted; I already gave my sentiment about what you say here in my first post in this thread.

Archived