Defensive wingers

Defensive wingers have been a mistery for me for quite some time and i was wondering if anyone had any succes with them and in what sort of systems did they utilise them. Whenever I played with it I failed to recognize specific patterns(which translates to "I was lazy to look for them") so the experience of someone more knowledgeable on this matter is well appreciated.

Ok, first take a look at the PI's that are handed out by the role; Dribble More, Close Down More, Tackle Harder, Hold Position (Defend only).

So your winger will still be encouraged to take his man on, though he is asked for more in defence than a standard wide player. From an attacking point of view, he wont be encouraged to cross as freely, or be stuck on the touchline. Obviously his starting point is still wide, but he isn't confined to this like a Winger, so the Defensive winger can work well in a situation where you want the full-back to overlap, or you have someone else moving into the wide attacking zones.

I personally would use the role in a set up with a tough midfield press and attacking full-backs.

14 minutes ago, Phelix said:

Ok, first take a look at the PI's that are handed out by the role; Dribble More, Close Down More, Tackle Harder, Hold Position (Defend only).

So your winger will still be encouraged to take his man on, though he is asked for more in defence than a standard wide player. From an attacking point of view, he wont be encouraged to cross as freely, or be stuck on the touchline. Obviously his starting point is still wide, but he isn't confined to this like a Winger, so the Defensive winger can work well in a situation where you want the full-back to overlap, or you have someone else moving into the wide attacking zones.

I personally would use the role in a set up with a tough midfield press and attacking full-backs.

Looks promising, i was thinking about using it in a 4-4-1-1 high pressing system so will definitely check it out once I get FM18, thanks for the information.

I used a defensive winger in a 4-4-2 where I had a CWB(A) on his side, just to make sure I had someone covering behind him. It can also be a useful role to switch to late in a game when you are defending a lead and the AI is coming at you- you want the defensive solidity it offers at the expense of a bit of attack but still is useful at generating counter attacks. 

My understanding of the DW is that positioning and decisions are vital. The difference between a DW and a regular Winger is that (as far as I can see) A Winger will automatically attack when the ball is at their feet whereas a DW assesses the situation more carefully. They still attack like a Winger but they are waiting for much safer opportunities to charge forward. So you'd use DWs in a system where you didn't want your wide players charging forward whenever they got the ball but instead when the team is in control of possession and there is adequate cover, and/or the opposition have left a gaping hole open, then the DW switches into Winger mode.

I might try to use a DW in the near future. See what I can get them to do.

Archived