Fm18- Spurs

dan_bre_1988

So I've started a save as Spurs on the beta and just curious what tactic other people are using for Spurs and signings made?

Personally I think the only formation you can play at the start realistically is 5 at the back with 2 wing backs due to the lack of quality wingers and the injuries they have at the start (Think Lamela, Son, Llorente etc)

Because of the above, I've started off with a 5221 narrow formation with Vertonghen and Alderweireld as BPDs and Sanchez as a defensive CB set to stopper. This is because I want him to almost move forward and act as a DMC since i've got 2 in cm, one of which being Wanyama who is a BWM so will engage higher up the pitch and possibly leave space behind. I've signed Nainggolan as a quality passer in midfield to link during transitions and his long shots are a threat against teams that sit deep. Plus he allows better quality on the bench Dembele) Nabir Fakir is my second who is a great signing imo. He gives a bit of extra quality to play 4231 as a RW, he's happy to be rotated and gives good support for Kane/Llorente as a striker when required.

My final signing was just a CB from Coruna who's buyout is about 4.5m and offers better back up that Foyth first season.

Further up the pitch I'm playing Eriksen as a AP support so he stays between the lines threading balls through to Alli (set as shadow striker so he's closer to Kane and also a presence in the box for crosses) and Kane. 

Team instructions are normal closing down as I want them to keep their shape, defend higher up with tighter marking and keep possession as I want to build from the back using the 2 BPDs and fairly wide width so that a) wing backs can push up wide since they are the only width I have and b) hopefully stretches play to give Eriksen and Alli more space since they will be my chief creators.

I'm interested to see what others have done and any problems people foresee in the logic behind my set up?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I started a save with Tottenham too because i don't know why but i'm a big fan of spurs since 3 years (maybe because Pochettino plays a really good game).

I'm agree with the fact that it is hard to play with wingers with the team, even if you need some new players for it yes.

I was thinking of playing with 5 defenders too like i tested in previous opus but finally i decided to try a 4-3-2-1 narrow formation.

Here's my tactic : 5a0717ac07e5e_TacticSpursen.thumb.png.479918f787450f820e112b13089e462d.png

As you can see, i play a quite offensive tactic but like you i wanna have impressions on my tactic because i'm not really sure of it.

I buy just one player Sergej Milinković-Savić wich is available for £28M, a really bargain i think and i need a player to fits in the new role mezzala.

I'll maybe buy a better backup for Kane, maybe Dolberg wich seems a high potential player.

About your tactic, it will be easier if you post a screenshot, but i think you really need a CD if you wanna play with 3 CD, even more if you play with Dier as midfielder, Sanchez and Foyth are really weak at start

PS : sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue

No problem. Your English was fine. I can guarantee your English is 100% better than what I can speak in your native tongue :lol:

I've screenshot my team, team instructions and the player profile of Arribas. He's a really solid player to have on the bench and his release clause is only 4.5m!

5a05b7e46cbc4_TottenhamHotspur_Overview.thumb.png.9e92936af13c676a5c6c35e3652ad10f.png5a05b7e87e0bc_TottenhamHotspur_Overview-2.thumb.png.790d7bc70a89e2eaef39ae8c845642b9.png

5a05b78d18e07_AlejandroArribas_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d80db7be5eefa2cb837c1b3c002ec1d5.png

With regards to your tactic, it looks good, just make sure your wing backs are really attacking as that's where all the width comes from. Also i'd maybe knock off "pass into space"  your front 3 are going to be your main source of goals and creativity but none of them are going to get away from defenders by running in behind them, they are going to feed off crosses into the box (For Kane and Alli) and quick passing and movement to create space for the shot.

I've started a game with spurs and really struggling so far. I turned off first window budgets so haven't brought anyone in. My record in the league is played 7 won 1 drawn 3 lost 3 and the win came in my 7th game! 2 of the defeats were to Man Utd and Chelsea though who are expected to finish above me. Strangely in the champions league we have beaten both Dortmund and Rosenberg to top the group.

tactics wise I started with 3 at the back and wing backs but kept getting over run on the wings and consistently conceded from crosses. It's changed a few times but I'm now playing a 4231 which has brought wins in the last 2 games and looks more solid. I'm struggling to get dele alli in the team though. The 3 games I have won he hasn't played in and I look a lot more solid with dier and wanyama as the midfield 2. I don't really have a right winger so could move him inside alongside erikssen but we've just won 2 in a row so don't want to change anything while we're winning and think I could only be 1 defeat away from the sack anyway

Thanks for the answer @dan_bre_1988, with regards to you tactic, it seems not really different than mine finally, maybe it is more consistent, your duties seems fine and team instructions too.

Some things to add, first of all, the game is released now and i checked, there is several changes for Tottenham, players like Foyth, Sanchez or Kane took a boost. I think most spurs players change with the final release because most was underevaluated as i saw in some forum threads. So i'll surely start a new save with Spurs, and i'll buy Savic again even if he takes a £10M boost price and he wants more wages...

Regards to your tactic and mine, i'm agree that i have to disabled pass into space, and i'll surely play fairly wide like you. Why you disabled "use tighter marking" it looks good. One more thing, don't you have problems with Kane that don't score, i was thinking to play him as a target man. Arribas seems average for a backup but i really think you need a solid first team player of you play with 3 CD.

@mss Alli is really better if you play him as an offensive midfielder, he is not so good as central midfielder so you have to play him upper. Yes the main problem of the team is the lack of wingers if you play with them (more with Lamela injury). So without budget, playing Eriksen as a right winger is not really a good option i think, you can consider Sissoko maybe. But yes changing all the time your tactic will not help you to win more, your team to know their duties.

Weirdly, annoyingly, none of Tottenham's fullbacks are natural or even highly competent at WB, except for I think Danny Rose. So playing three at the back feels strangely sub optimal. 

I think the spurs squad suits 4-1-2-2-1 (the Barcelona version with two wide AMs, or the version further above with two central AMs). In central midfield, Dele Alli is an amazing Mezzala, and surprisingly so is Sissoko, whose poms and physical attributes will be on display if you make space in the middle for his runs.

I also think 4-3-2-1 (I used knaps' version, no name) suits us. I won the league with that tactic, although from Feb/March the AI started playing more defensively against me and I started to struggle a bit. The benefits of this tactic is that it benefits the natural position of more of our players, plus Winks can get more game time. But Son won't.

Maybe switch between a fluid, wide men tactic and a narrow, central heavy one depending on opposition/ squad availability? Either way, squad is really good. 

PS- at the beginning of the game, we have lots of injured players. When they come back, I recommend putting them on lower training and playing only 45 mins max in the under 23. Lamela ended up missing 50% of games for me, and Rose 40%, they kept getting recurring injuries

@legaldinho thanks for your tips, it's true that there are not really natural WB at start but i think players at club can play this duty really well. It seems Knap's tactic don't run on new version of the game so if you have a screenshot of the 4-3-2-1 it can help us.

I finally started a new game and change quite my tactic :

5a07172766cf0_TacticSpursen2.thumb.png.27196c8f0ec3262daa892212d8b0276c.png

Mainly change Kane and Dembele role

5 hours ago, steevo55 said:

@legaldinho thanks for your tips, it's true that there are not really natural WB at start but i think players at club can play this duty really well. It seems Knap's tactic don't run on new version of the game so if you have a screenshot of the 4-3-2-1 it can help us.

I finally started a new game and change quite my tactic :

5a07172766cf0_TacticSpursen2.thumb.png.27196c8f0ec3262daa892212d8b0276c.png

Mainly change Kane and Dembele role

I've just changed to this tactic myself except playing at a higher tempo and player roles slightly different. I didn't like Nainggolan and Wanyama as my centre mids as Nainggolan wants to bomb forward to support the attack and Wanyama pushes quite high with being a BWM. This tactic works much better. Only problem I have now really is having nobody on the bench to replace Wanyama/Dier if they are both playing. That tactic certainly controls the midfield much better.

Just started my Spurs save. Only 6 league games in. Won my first four and beat Dortmund away in the CL, then lost to Soton and Huddersfield :|

Been experimenting with a few different formations and the 3 at the back with WB's doesn't seem to work with Spurs for me (little luck in FM17 too). I'm probably doing it wrong though as in not getting the TI's right.

Had most success with 4-2-3-1 wide but keep finding that wingers and full backs keep getting in each others way so going to take some advice from this thread and pack the centre and give my full backs the flank to themselves to whip balls in (Trippier is a crossing God).

Kane with two hatties already, leading the PL golden boot race. Sanchez is a great attacking threat for corners. I recommend you try and give Marcus Edwards as much playing time as possible. I gave him his first full debut against Dortmund and he put me 1-0 early on with a back post volley :)

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and contributing.

4 hours ago, steevo55 said:

Hey guys, there is a topic on tactic about spurs : 

@dan_bre_1988 it's funny that you change for a 4 defenders tactic because i'll do the opposite thing, i'll give a chance to a 3 central defenders tactic.

I'd set up my Spurs tactic fairly similar to the one above, although it would depend on who's available in the team we're playing against. I'd be tempted to play Alderweireld as a BDP - Last season he often played long passes from deep, searching for Kane/Son who were making runs in behind the opposition defence.

Overall it would look something like (From left to right): SK-S: CD-D, CD-C, BPD-D; WB-A, Mez-S, CM-D/DLP-D (Wanyama/Winks), WB-A; SS-A, AP-S, DLF-A/CF-A. I think it's essential Kane has an attack duty, firstly because it will increase his mentality in-game and secondly to create space for Alli to run into. He does drop deep and link play, which is why I'm leaning more towards the DLF-A. 

Mentality: Control, Team Shape: Structured/Flexible, TIs: Play out of defence, much higher defensive line, close down more, work ball into box, lower tempo & shorter passing. May even have to give this a go myself :lol:

In that topic I am trying to emulate Pochettino's 3-4-2-1 which is more like a 5-3-2 from what I've heard from people who read his book. Doesn't necessarily have to be world beater tactic, but I am getting decent results in pre-season so far. It's a tweak or two away from an good replication I might say. If you follow that thread, I will explain why I used that role and not another, that formation and not the 3-4-2-1 with two AMC (I used it before in FM17).

The 3-4-2-1 is what we played last year, with the "dueling #10's" as it's called.  You could really see the midfield box at times, and the box is more pronounced in FM.  This year it definitely looks more like a 5-3-2 lately, although we have tried quite a few different looks.  I have first transfer window off and have made both tactics in FM18:

kD4cBeu.png  kNlGbkI.png

The 3-4-2-1 works well in games where a win is expected, it'll suffocate the opposition with relentless pressure.  There's a good mix of attack from different directions.  Despite what some people say, the BWM-D (Wanyama or Dier) is pretty defensive, and will cover Aurier or Trippier marauding on the right side and just generally be a destroyer.

The 5-3-2 I'm still working on.. ignore the team instructions as I change them a lot. But I use it in away games and it beat Dortmund and Man City.  The DLP-D (Winks) is a great central point to dictate play, link the defence and attack, and recycle possession. The Carrilero sits a bit wider to cover for the RWB again.

Still some work to do.. one thing I've noticed by watching longer highlights is that the RWB gets the ball a lot in both tactics and then tends to run out of space or put in a poor cross. Probably needs some more support.

I want to make this a long-term save and see how much of a legend Kane can become.  Next summer I'll probably sell some of the older and fringe players and bring in some more depth in every position.

@Armistice i'm understand that you wanna replicate Pochettino's tactic, who don't want it ;) You just did a perfect pre-season with your new tactic, keep telling us your results

edit : i posted an answer in the other topic with my new tactic

@Argonaut your both tactics seems nice, your second looks like a mirror of Armistice tactic, keep your results if you have time and transfers you did

The other topic is closed right now, i'll post here so.

This is how my tactic looks now : 

5a0df25bba956_Spurs1-3.thumb.png.2bc28cf80eec611d1f17f605bc08b6b2.png 5a0df25e87eb7_Spurs2-3.thumb.png.ef7fd700ef8a3c1aacfb2e26c4c37bb2.png

I made a pretty nice start, just one draw (a really lucky draw) vs Newcastle. The team plays quite as i want, i made several changes in order to Kane plays better and it is better actually.

5a0df2660609c_Spursschedule2.thumb.png.473cda3b7c1a46fe9c8f7e491899cdfb.png

I'll still continue to post to give my results and i'll surely make a post to explain more my tactic. I hope it is good for you guys.

My original asymmetric 3-5-2 had done well.. I was top of the table in November and 1st in Champions League group. It's a good tactic, lots of movement and attacking directions. But I was bored of it. I've played 3-5-2's, 4-4-2's, 4-2-3-1's, and modern 4-3-3's too much in Football Manager. I've always wanted to get my favourite formation (in theory) working, but never have. Behold, the Flat 3-4-3!

51sLGa1.png

I've always been annoyed that I couldn't get the strikers to defend, and if I put them in the AM strata they don't behave properly in the attack. Finally I figured out the secret, putting the outside two strikers to specifically man-mark players so that they track back. This would be the two center mids in a 4-2-3-1 for example. Usually whoever the midfield pivot is in a formation. Finally the tactic is defensively sound!

Some people don't like Retain Possession, but I needed it in this formation otherwise there's too many long balls. To compensate for creativity, there is one player in each line that is allowed risky passes: the Alderweireld, Winks, and Eriksen roles. I've also set the forwards to close down much more, and the rest of the team can keep its shape in defense.

One of the main reasons I love this formation is for squad building purposes: I only need strikers, CMs, CBs, and wide players. That's it! So much easier for squad building and having the right bench options. I'm working on retraining Alli and Eriksen as strikers, the fullbacks as wide midfielders, etc. I had first window transfers off so will have to shape the squad with transfers later on.

@steevo55 Well I didn't say it sounds defensive, but that it is defensively sound. I don't give away many shots at all. Part of this is because my possession is so high, usually 60% and above. A higher defensive line, retain possession shout, and the strikers closing down helps with that. The flanks do look a bit weak at times, but I find that crossing is not as strong as it was in the past couple of FMs. The defensive wingers close down trouble out wide, although they often pick up cards. Man marking midfielders with the Alli/Eriksen roles really mucks up the opposition attack -- it's funny to watch them in transition though, they'll inevitably have to run somewhere completely different whenever possession changes hands.

I’m not getting a huge number of chances like in some other tactics yet. Part of this may be the player position and tactic unfamiliarity. But Alli and Eriksen should have good attributes for those striker positions. I rotate a lot so Son sees a lot of game time up top, with a sprinkling of Marcus Edwards for development. It would be nice to have a blank slate striker role to customize, i.e. maybe I want a DLF-A without hold up ball. The False 9 role is the only one that has the exact instructions I want -- in this case move into channels and risky passes for Eriksen. I don’t necessarily have a lot of creating roles – like I said, I have one “playmaker” per strata, but only the Winks role as the designated ball magnet.

Anyway it's been fun using the Flat 3-4-3, and I'm happy that I'm finally figuring out my favourite formation.

EDIT: I found that as expected the 3-4-3 can get skewered sometimes by wide play. Man marking players in the AMR and AML positions with my ML and MR respectively was an immediate fix. Love how subtle changes can make a notable positive effect. Also changed Kane's role in the middle to DLF-A and Alli's role to AF-A. Better suited to their skillsets, plus Kane is still central for most of the goals.

@steevo55 very nice start :applause: 

I've adjusted my tactics and made it assymetric in midfield in order to get the players into their best roles (Ignore the choice of players, purely just demonstrating the tactics) using 5 at the back and switching it to a 4231 based on players available, fitness levels and if 3 at the back isn't working. As mentioned above, I find it strange that Davies and Aurier are not natural as wing backs in the wing back position yet they are as wing backs in the full back positions?? :idiot:

I'd say my results have been "ok" so far, nothing spectacular although unbeaten in 9 is nice. However, I have got a few problems currently such as conceding too many goals. A few of them lately though have been after i've had the game wrapped up (e.g. 3 0 up), so I change to a control mentality, to try and control the ball and see the game out and end up conceding a daft goal. My away record is also a cause for concern currently and only just won my first away game in the league last time out against Bournemouth who are on a poor run of form. Has anybody managed to get the best out of Dele and Eriksen in the same team? i'm struggling to get the best out of them as they don't seem to be linking up too great as the 2 behind Kane (who is amazing and relying too much on for goals)

I was also struggling with getting Nainggolan playing well as a box to box so changed him to a Mezzala and have Dier/Wanyama holding fort to give him license to get forward a bit more and he is performing much better (could also just be settling in to a new league in his first country abroad)

P.s check out my Champions League group... if I get out of that i'll genuinely believe I can win the whole thing! Bayern, Barcelona and Feyenoord :seagull:

5a0feede11432_TottenhamHotspur_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.8a3ffee670278d110c7e419f9d8622b6.png

5a0fecf8a2808_TottenhamHotspur_Overview-3.thumb.png.47cc0c2afe81a2378997fadfad400e07.png5a0fee694d87d_TottenhamHotspur_Overview-4.thumb.png.ab98d00f25675b316ef9d97e730d3aae.png

@Argonaut sorry my english level don't make me able to understand "I didn't say it sounds defensive, but that it is defensively sound:lol: I'm agree that an high defense line really limit the opponent shoots. But i don't agree, lot of my goals come from crossing (Aurier is my best assist). It's just cool if you like your tactic, keep us informed of your results

@dan_bre_1988 Thanks my start was pretty good yes, i think that is a trap to play players on their best role, it is always less effective than playing good roles for what you wanna do with a tactic. Yes it's strange that Davies, Aurier or Trippier are not naturals as wing backs, end at the end of the season, their not too for me. I think it's difficult to have the best of Alli and Eriksen if you play them both in offensive midfielder position, for me their both good with Eriksen lower in the middle.

Don't worry for your group, mine was pretty "hard" (less than you) but i finished in 1st position.

Here a screen of my schedule, i only have few games to do, but it's too stressfull now, i'm afraid to push the "continue" button :stop:

5a0ffd29292ff_Spursschedule3.thumb.png.12ca7684feca3a02ceef80be11227517.png5a0ffd2e37431_Spursschedule4.thumb.png.89c307ee28f9d663c043868d7876c6ba.png5a0ffd30c2394_SpursRanking.thumb.png.850345881f783734175415362bf6aa6e.png

Here my final results

5a1077142758b_Spursschedule5.thumb.png.67640286fe4d19dc4b92fcbf07b8b1cc.png

5a104a08ed9ca_SpursSeason2017-18.thumb.png.11e44eb34882e0bd3ee848fb1c211658.png

Was a pretty average season, i think i did my best, Chelsea won the  league during the last match, I lost 1-0 vs Bayern in Champion's League :( but a final for the first season, it's just really good.

5a107a2631a16_SpursSquad.thumb.png.234c92e5db905ff6f7b0be209fc2d82d.png

To sum up my season, I'm really satisfied, mainly of my defensive players (never concede more than 2 goals in a game). Lloris was a carry player (i sold Worms in January). I maybe need someone to replace Sanchez, Carter-Vickers can maybe do the job. Both Aurier and Trippier play their best, for the left wing it is more contrasted, unfortunately, Rose had a 6 months injury after his comeback, and Ben Davies is maybe the weakest player of my team, he don't really suits to wing-back position, so i'll maybe try to recruit someone.

Wanyama suffered from a big injury too, and he took to much cards : 12 yellow and 3 red in 28 games only. Dier played most of his games as BWM, and he was really better than Wanyama. Savic and Eriksen played both good, Alli scored almost 20 goals and Kane was correct, i'll change his position in order he can strikes more. Llorente was really a crap 1 goal in 24 games, i'll sold him and i'll test Janssen.

I have about £65M to spend, mainly for a left wing back and for a ball winning midfielder or central defender, it depends if I play with Dier as CD or BWM.

I'm thinking of Raphaël Guerreiro or Alex Grimaldo, they're available for less than £40M and it seems they have some potential. But in fact, all players worth too much for my budget, i have to sell players maybe but i don't want to make too much buy/sell.

I sold Son to Bayern for £50 mill, looking for a replacement. Narrowed it down to these 3 options. Who gets your vote?

- Coutinho. World class, superb replacement, will strenghten the squad immediately. Pool finished 7th so I can get him for around £60 mill.

- Pulisic. Young, quality - if he gets near the potenitial he had on FM17 he'll be amazing. Only 19 but should improve the squad right away. Will cost more than Coutinho though, avaliable at around £70+

- Dembele. One of the biggest talents on the game? Barca finished 5th (first season, lol!!!) so he's interested in joining. Will cost a lot, around £90+. He's better at right wing though, so if I buy Dembele I'd sell Lamela and have around £40 mill to replace Son.

Zivkovic also an option but not sure he's worth £50 mill when I can get one of the above for £10-20 more. If you have anyone else you'd reccommend, please suggest!

Well it depends on what you need? If you need a playmaker, then definitely Coutinho. If you need more like a winger, Pulisic could do the job and has great potential. If you looking for an Inside Forward, probably Dembele is the best choice, but also Coutinho could do a decent job too.

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

Well it depends on what you need? If you need a playmaker, then definitely Coutinho. If you need more like a winger, Pulisic could do the job and has great potential. If you looking for an Inside Forward, probably Dembele is the best choice, but also Coutinho could do a decent job too.

Thanks. Inside forward.

I finished my first season, here is how it shaped up:

CscmIGw.png

Won the Premier League, but got unlucky in the cups. Went down to penalties against Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-final, and basically everyone on both teams missed.. it was really weird. Got greedy a bit in the FA Cup semi-final and rotated the side because I had Real coming up. Swansea got an early goal and parked the bus. Typical FM defeat with ~30 shots against 1.

This is the tactic I ended up with:

JLhLLqP.png

If sides were parking the bus against me I could switch the CM-D to a B2B-S to get a runner from deep. Overall it worked pretty well, but often needed to set up the outside strikers as man-markers against midfield heavy tactics. Kane got 34 goals, and Son and Alli got quite a few too.

I played with just the regular Spurs side with transfers off first window. In the summer I'll be looking to upgrade.. see if I can sell Llorente, Dembele, Lamela, Sissoko, and maybe Vertonghen and Wanyama. Try to bring in some depth and maybe some workhorses for the midfield strata.

Sorry no screenshots as I'm at work. Just finishing my first season with Spurs. With 3 league games left it's looking most likely like a 3rd place finish, knocked out the CL by Bayern in the last 16, out by Man U in the FA Cup 5th round and won the Carabao Cup. Was enough to earn a new contract.

Spent the first season really just feeling things out in terms of players, tactics and formations (switched mainly between 3-5-2 and 4-1-2-3 wide). All the while completely revamping backroom and coaching staff from U18's up as I'm planning a dynasty save.

Didn't sell anyone of note and brought in Vietto for 30m (made a huge impact), Danilo 4.5m (sent on loan to PSG because no WP) and Sessegnon 12.5 who is long term replacement for Davies or Rose.

Kane is superb. Alli great as a Mezzala, would like to maybe try him further up next season. Winks great as a DLP, spreads the play beautifully. Aurier is basically a winger. Sanchez is top notch.

Looks like a lot of people have had good success with Spurs this year. Unfortunately i'm not one of them people. Really struggling currently getting the best out of Eriksen and Alli. Eriksen averaging just below 7 and I suspect the only reason he's that high is because he's a beast from set plays and has a few assists. Kane, Alli and Eriksen are my main threat going forward but I can't get them to link up with any real fluency. Here are my tactics:

5a182154bdd36_TottenhamvArsenal_TottenhamTeamSelectionOverview-2.thumb.png.5ccefe34870edcdbb5cc58e8bf41ccb7.png

5a182174d308b_TottenhamvArsenal_TottenhamTeamSelectionOverview.thumb.png.62732c87a502f018ef57bd5dcabdcd46.png

My most notable result of the season was beating Barca 1-0 at the Nou Camp but i'm not afraid to say I got very lucky, with a set piece goal from Wanyama on the stroke of half time and had to dig deep in the second half as they piled players forward looking for a goal. Any advice anybody could give me would be much appreciated! Also, what do you guys do with regards to team structure? I tend to just leave it on fluid as I worry about dynamics and upsetting the team familiarity of tactics and playing style by changing it game to game. Is that justified or do people tend to change that based on the opposition?

Your tactic just seems too defensive for Spurs. Maybe why you got a result versus Barcelona but are struggling against lesser sides. Especially the back 5, that’s pretty overkill. For a 3-4-2-1, I would set it up the normal way by pushing the wingbacks up a level, and bringing the anchor man up to CM.

For Eriksen, I think he only works as an AP if he’s in the AML slot. If he is a ball magnet centrally, he’s not strong enough to fend off the hordes of players that will descend upon him. I would try switching him to AM-S with risky passes turned on. I’ve had some success with setting him as a False 9 in my 3 striker system. He has license to do some creative things, but will not be a ball magnet. He actually ended up with most completed crosses on the team at season’s end. In your system, Eriksen has little support with Dier and the wingback way behind.

Is Kane playing well as an AF-A? If not, maybe try CF-A or DLF-A.

I think my long-term goal with my Spurs save is to make Harry Kane beat Alan Shearer's Premier League goals record of 260. He got 20 goals in the first season, which wasn't optimal but still puts him closer. Unfortunately 14 of his 34 goals were in cups, as he was more lethal in the Champions League with over a goal a game. I think if he stays healthy I can get him to 260 in his early 30s. We'll see.

There's no reason why Kane can't beat Shearer's record if you can keep him at Spurs and keep him fit. 

Yeah I know where you're coming from and I thought it looked defensive myself and I did want to play how you suggested above. However, for some reason non of the wing backs are actually natural in the wing back position but are natural as wing backs in the full back position?? and Eriksen is only "competent" as an advanced playmaker at AML. Same as Alli as SS. I prefer to try keep my players in their natural positions and roles where I can. Maybe I should try just putting them in the role where I want them and train them to that position then? What roles should I set my back 3 to aswell? Keep switching it up as not sure what's best really. I don't watch a great deal of Spuds irl so i'm not sure how Poch sets his team up when they are all fully fit but i'm struggling seeing how Wanyama, Dier, Alli and Eriksen in the same team without being too narrow. 

Kane was playing OK as AF. I've just started playing him as a DLF to try involve him more in the build up play but unless Alli runs beyond him i'm going to lose that focal point in the team.

Yeah, just play players where ever you want them to play in whichever role you want.  Don't worry about if they are natural for the position or not.  They may make a few poor decisions as they are training in the new position, but it shouldn't take too long to make them comfortable. I switched to the 3-4-3 Flat in maybe November.. and by the end of the year Eriksen and Alli were "accomplished" at striker, and my fullbacks were also "accomplished" at ML and MR. I'm sure they will be natural next season.

If you go by what the assistant says for every position, you could have an unbalanced team. He probably wants you to play everyone as BPD's in the back line, but I would rather have one BPD and two CD's. It also says Dembele should be an Advanced Playmaker but I'd rather have him as a CM-S with Dribble More.  And so on.

2 hours ago, WhiteRose90 said:

I'm using two up top currently (Kane CF-S and Luciano Vietto P-A) and it is working a treat. They just feed off each other brilliantly. Goals galore!

Worth trying out if you're struggling for goals :) 

I might give that a try in January when I can sign a striker for back up! My defensive record is pretty good but struggling getting best out of  my triumvirate of Kane, Alli and Eriksen. I play Alli as a SSs, Eriksen as APs and I keep changing up Kane's role between AF and DLF to try get the best out of him. He's doing ok (9 in 12) but 2 have been penalties and his best overall rating is 7.18 which suggests he's taking his chances but not getting involved enough. Any advice how to get the best out of them 3? My next plan is to play Alli and Eriksen as AMs (Alli attack and Eriksen support)

5a1eb17e675ae_HarryKane_ReportsStats.thumb.png.cf5ff501061735f40d30929e000bb1f1.png5a1eb17b7278c_ChristianEriksen_ReportsStats.thumb.png.edee4ad794e2e062afade09a9f9b26bf.png5a1eb17ce25de_DeleAlli_ReportsStats.thumb.png.cba73ee510fdf583f12498f9122108ab.png

Still fairly early on in the season but these are their season stats so far for the league and CL. As you can see, all three are consistently average. The lack of goals/assists from Eriksen is very concerning as I think all 3 of his assists have come from set pieces (his delivery is so good from set pieces like irl, some goals have been scored as a result of his set pieces even if he hasn't directly got the assist for it) so any advice would be appreciated!

5a1eb27c541fd_TottenhamHotspur_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.979c7c6a20d506e5b3ec98a0dd15faf7.png

As you can see, my results have picked up since losing to Arsenal (We should of won, we were easily the better team, just couldn't find the net) beating Barcelona 1 0 home and away the biggest highlight so far. Lucky in the first leg but deservedly won at home could of been 2 or 3 0. Just need to find a way to score more goals.

Second season over. And Harry Kane has done the Rocket Richard: 50 goals in 50 games!

Y0a0i5v.jpg

He broke the Premier League record with 39 goals, and also broke the longstanding Spurs record by Clive Allen who had 49 goals in all competitions in '86-'87. And he did so in dramatic fashion, with 2 goals in the Champions League final to bring his tally to 50.

iw77Fnj.jpg

It was a crazy game in Atletico Madrid's home stadium. Dele Alli went in with a wicked 2-footed challenge to earn red because why not? And Harry Kane missed a penalty before scoring 2 goals to make up for it including the winner in the 90th minute! What a game.

Funny thing is I didn't even win the league.. Man United were unstoppable and tied Chelsea's record of 95 points. Nothing I could do, and my 89 points would have been good enough to win the league normally.

Harry Kane had a ridiculous season but will still probably lose the Ballon D'Or to Ronaldo or Messi. He is now more than halfway to breaking Shearer's record. I think at this point I'll have to be satisfied with the records he broke this year, as I can't see myself doing another 5ish seasons. It just takes too many hours!

Brilliant. I can't see the screenshots for some reason. May just be my phone. What role and duty do you use him on? He's struggling on my save, no goal in 8 games, confidence shot. Playing more like Soldado and just blazing shots miles wide or missing sitters. Even had a personal chat to put a rocket up his butt but no luck so far...:rolleyes:

Think I'm going to have to change formation as it's just not working with Alli and Eriksen behind him as a triumvirate. All 3 look shot although Alli form picking up slightly now after making him an AM-a rather than SS-a. 

I was using what I posted up-thread.. a 3-4-3 with Kane in the middle as a DLF-A. It's the perfect role for him, he does drop deep in the buildup which helps out your other players with his ability to hold up the ball. But when the attack starts to flesh out, he'll be in the middle of the box waiting for the ball to smash or head home. Most assists come from the striker to the right of him, either Alli or Son as a AF-A. That role stretches the defense, dribbles to the byline and then puts in a simple cross for a Kane goal. I have Shoot More Often on him just to let him have a crack. I think he had more than double the amount of shots anyone else did. But you can't argue with 50 goals, right?

I did tweak that tactic a bit though. Took off Retain Possession and added Short Passing. Changed my man-marking gameplan too. May write about it sometime.

Just finished my 2nd season. Won the league and CL. Knocked out of the FA Cup in the semis by Norwich!

No screenshots but for those interested I play a 5-3-2:

Fruchtl (SK-A)

Alderweireld (BPD-D)            Dier (BPD-Co)            Vertonghen (BPD-D)

Aurier (WB-S)                                                                                                                         Rose (WB-S)

Wanyama (BWM-S)     Eriksen (DLP-D)       Alli (MEZ-A)

Vietto (P-A)                      Kane (CF-S)

Mentality: Attacking

Shape: Fluid

TI's: Play ball out of defence, be more expressive, close down much more, highest defensive line.

Most goals come from ball over the top or from a wing backs cross. It's like a blend of quick counter attacks with Vietto ready to pounce and getting it out wide mainly to Aurier for a front post cross.

Usually takes me a good few seasons to win the CL so I'm pleasantly surprised. Brought in Romagnoli to replace Vertonghen as he wanted more than double his wages to sign a new contract at the age of 32 (get lost!).

21 hours ago, Argonaut said:

I was using what I posted up-thread.. a 3-4-3 with Kane in the middle as a DLF-A. It's the perfect role for him, he does drop deep in the buildup which helps out your other players with his ability to hold up the ball. But when the attack starts to flesh out, he'll be in the middle of the box waiting for the ball to smash or head home. Most assists come from the striker to the right of him, either Alli or Son as a AF-A. That role stretches the defense, dribbles to the byline and then puts in a simple cross for a Kane goal. I have Shoot More Often on him just to let him have a crack. I think he had more than double the amount of shots anyone else did. But you can't argue with 50 goals, right?

I did tweak that tactic a bit though. Took off Retain Possession and added Short Passing. Changed my man-marking gameplan too. May write about it sometime.

Apologies, so you did. I get confused who's said what in which thread 😂 I will be more than happy if I can get anywhere near that sort of output from Kane. How many did 2nd top scorer for you get? That's the only issue like irl, if you depend on Kane and he gets injured you're stuffed.

3 hours ago, WhiteRose90 said:

Just finished my 2nd season. Won the league and CL. Knocked out of the FA Cup in the semis by Norwich!

No screenshots but for those interested I play a 5-3-2:

Fruchtl (SK-A)

Alderweireld (BPD-D)            Dier (BPD-Co)            Vertonghen (BPD-D)

Aurier (WB-S)                                                                                                                         Rose (WB-S)

Wanyama (BWM-S)     Eriksen (DLP-D)       Alli (MEZ-A)

Vietto (P-A)                      Kane (CF-S)

Mentality: Attacking

Shape: Fluid

TI's: Play ball out of defence, be more expressive, close down much more, highest defensive line.

Most goals come from ball over the top or from a wing backs cross. It's like a blend of quick counter attacks with Vietto ready to pounce and getting it out wide mainly to Aurier for a front post cross.

Usually takes me a good few seasons to win the CL so I'm pleasantly surprised. Brought in Romagnoli to replace Vertonghen as he wanted more than double his wages to sign a new contract at the age of 32 (get lost!).

That's a great effort. What did you do with Lloris? I like him irl but on the game his handling is terrible. Spills so many shots that go for a corner and the shots aren't even particularly strong.

Eriksen as a DLP is an interesting choice. Surprised if that hasn't caused issues defensively as it is an attacking system you play. How did he perform there?

21 minutes ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

That's a great effort. What did you do with Lloris? I like him irl but on the game his handling is terrible. Spills so many shots that go for a corner and the shots aren't even particularly strong.

Eriksen as a DLP is an interesting choice. Surprised if that hasn't caused issues defensively as it is an attacking system you play. How did he perform there?

Thanks! Well PSG came out the blue with a £60 offer that I couldn't refuse for someone I knew I could replace with a much younger keeper. Fruchtl fit the bill as a Bayern 'wonderkid' who I enjoyed on FM17. Got him for a third of the price.

I was trying different tactics and originally had Winks in that spot (who is great!) and when realising this was the tactic I was going to pursue, there wasn't a CAM spot for Eriksen. So I've retrained him there, plus he has played in that role a few times IRL when Poch has switched things up. He's done okay, just above average ratings and a fair few assists.

He gets involved in the pressing with Wanyama and in possession spreads the ball around beautifully so can't complain.

Will be kicking off my 3rd season tonight so I'll update again soon.

1 hour ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Apologies, so you did. I get confused who's said what in which thread 😂 I will be more than happy if I can get anywhere near that sort of output from Kane. How many did 2nd top scorer for you get? That's the only issue like irl, if you depend on Kane and he gets injured you're stuffed.

Alli got 22 goals and Son got 19 goals. I think every player is bound to get at least a little injury over the course of the season. I rotate fairly well but that doesn't account for the international managers running them into the ground -- Kane got injured for a couple weeks from England duty.  I bought Fiete Arp as a youngster who can develop into a great alternative for the Harry Kane role in my formation. And Dele Alli is overpowered in FM compared to his real-life counterpart this year. He can easily play anywhere from striker to central midfield very effectively.

Archived