[FM18] The Hereford Rebirth

RSJ

For my main FM save this season i have decided to go with a combination save of Dafuge's challenge and a youth only save.

After holidaying for 1 season, i have decided to start this journey with Hereford FC.

4ZLbUGY.png

''Our greatest lies not in never having fallen, but in rising when we fall''

Profile | Facilities | History

Hereford FC were founded in 2014 as a phoenix club of Hereford United and inherited their Edgar Street Stadium. They are nicknamed 'The Bulls' after the Hereford cattle breed.

Herefordground.jpg

Main Squad

jOF2Qxd.png

BveDkCV.png

Under 18s

ZSglNw4.png

This is EXACTLY what awaited me in the U18s - 2x 27 y/o's and a 37 y/o :lol:

Potential Tactic/Line Up

sDuWC0R.png

yY133c1.png

So, we have a severe lack of a ML. I wondered about going 4-2-3-1 but dont really have a AMC/SS so not really an option. Im very raw tactically, ive always been one to download tactics but thats not something i want to do this year so if anyone has any advice or pointers for me then please, please post away. Im ready and wanting to learn.

Next job on the agenda is to organise training hire some staff, i haven't got any!

Thanks for reading so far, its much appreciated. I welcome any feedback.

30 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Cheers mate - if you have any tactical advice then i'd bite your hand off!

I've never been much of a tactical expert myself, but for me it's just about building a system around your strengths, especially in the lower leagues. How good is your target man in the air and how quick is your poacher? A good big man paired with a pacey smaller striker can absolutely destroy teams at this level.

Pre-season 2018

QMQNgEN.png

Played Villa as a bit of a crowd puller, i didnt want to continue against larger opposition and the batterings hamper the morale of the squad. Its all about the match fitness and i must admit that the lads are looking in good shape going into the season.

YtyQL9M.png

We are not fancied one bit :lol: Theres not alot left to say on this matter...can a job be done?

As for Tactics that 4-4-2 seems decent. My experience with FM18 it is important to have the players in roles suited to their abilities. The more Green Circles in the formation the better. This helps with the team to actually play well. It is good that you played all those games against weak opposition to build up morale also since morale seems linked to playing well as well.

Good Luck!

6 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

As for Tactics that 4-4-2 seems decent. My experience with FM18 it is important to have the players in roles suited to their abilities. The more Green Circles in the formation the better. This helps with the team to actually play well. It is good that you played all those games against weak opposition to build up morale also since morale seems linked to playing well as well.

Good Luck!

Nice one mate, really appreciate that post - thank you

August 2018

9O7i21Q.png

fHyUQ9N.png

A disappointing start to life in Hereford.

Late goals. Late goals have been the story of the month for August. I should have got more out of the 3 games vs. Boreham Wood, Havant & W and also Billericay.

Something needs to change, and fast, if we are to find our first win of the season.

46 minutes ago, Jamiejp31 said:

Hi mate. I’m trying to play as Hereford but I can’t seem to find them on the team selection? Any help would be great thanks 

Im doing dafuges challenge and part of that is to holiday the first season and pick one of the promoted teams in to the Conference North/South - i picked Hereford. I can link you to the save files so you can start as them but it will be from the 2nd season.

September 2018

JxclMIe.png

LxObwIn.png

The month started, as previously posted, with another last minute goal against - im hoping it was beta related :) I was then buzzing to pick up my first three points of the season at home to Hampton & Richmond. That was followed by 3 defeats in a row including being knocked out the FA Cup at the first attempt. I did take some heart from the loss at Dulwich, we gave a good account of ourselves and could have snatched a late equaliser - typical! :) The spirited performance saw a few tweaks tactically as we hosted Truro and as you can see, we thumped them 5-0 - my best game by far! Will the tactic carry on being as good? Overall, im delighted to be up in 16th, just need to open up a gap now.

7 minutes ago, Jamiejp31 said:

Hey, thank you for your response and yes please If you could send that to me that would be great, best of luck with your challenge! Il be following your journey 

See the post from G_D_K on Oct 27th - hes kindly provided saves and detials of the promoted teams - just pick one of the Hereford ones. and make sure its in the section for full release.

So im going to stay away from monthly round ups, think it should help keep people interested.

October/November/December 2018

ikKQkBU.png

We started off with a great home win to 3rd place Dartford, i was really please with this as the previous tactic tweak was seeming to work. A point then followed against Hungerford. We were absolutely tonked away at Weston-super-Mare but lessons learnt. We dusted ourselves down and good again with a hard fought battle at home to Poole. They were quite low in the league, it was must win but they made us fight until the end.

dQTtOu2.png

A short and sweet November got off to a flyer as we entertained top of the league Bath down at Edgar Street. I was so happy with this win, we were complete underdogs but we dominated them from start to finish. Next came an away game at mid-table Chippenham - an 'away' tweak to the tactics saw us run out emphatic winners but then smiles were soon wiped off our faces and Chelmsford bought us back down to earth with a bang!

OoiBxFV.png

After a win over Havant & W we ere easily knocked out the the FA Trophy by Bilericay. League wise it was an excellent month and for once lady luck was on our side. We managed to find a last minute leveller against Wealdstone (6th). Next came the beating St. Albans with a last minute winner from Lance Smith who bagged his 20th of the season away. Lowly Bognar Regis came to town with a game plan and held us until an 82nd minute penalty decided the game. We ended the month and 2018 on a high as 8th placed Boreham Wood came to town. We ran out 3-1 winners after putting in a really good performance.

A really, really great turn around in fortunes but where has that left us in the league?

wIO8zq0.png

dHHBQv8.png

(*this update covers from game 12)

We are up to 11th! So, so pleased. Just 3 points off the play-off places when it looked like we'd be the ones to prop up the table. I think the rest we get from not playing in the FA Cup has helped keep us fresh. So far, injuries have been ok too - a post-beta fix?

I want to give a shout out to Rob Purdie. The 37 year old was left in the wilderness of the reserves with no chance of featuring in my plans due to mainly his age. A lack of CMs and some injuries forced my hand and he started a few games, going on to being absolutely immense. Unfortunately, he has plans to retire at the end of the season and despite my best efforts, has decided not to change his mind :(

That brings us bang up to speed with what has been a very enjoyable first half of the season. I plan to post a 'before and after' of the squads CA & PA ratings at the end of the season.

Lets go!

January & February 2019

0nPST4X.png

An absolute disastrous start to the month losing 3 on the bounce in come quite high scoring games! We ended by just scrapping past Hemel Hampstead

cDjVdnC.png

Highlight of the month was smashing league leaders, Dulwich Hamlet in a game we totally dominated. 

MuxQ9R2.png

Sitting up in 9th now - can we press on?

QGJFeyh.png

The board kindly agreed to this. The chairman is due to leave in June so im interested to see which direction he will like to take us in...the current boss certainly lets me get on with things my way,

jdDKlv1.png

Oh and im not going anywhere just yet :)

Just Rotate your players. Use backups against relegation fodder. Never let a player play in more the 3 matches in 14 days.  Also don't overtrain them as well.  and Injuries should lessen.

Also get the best Physio and Sports Scientist you can afford.

Maybe Rob Purdie should join the coaching staff?

20 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Not the best outcome.........Lance was your main man! Ouch.......

Are you now looking at a Relegation Battle?

No not really, im 9th with about 6/7 games to go...

19 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Great progress up the league this season.

Thanks Nobby mate, soon be time for a end of season rounnd up :)

2 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Decent intake in terms of potential, but I don't think any of those are ready to be chucked in the first team yet.

:(

Archived