Brexit - When does the game decide the outcome of and date of Brexit?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I've done quite a bit of searching and couldn't find an answer. I also didn't play FM2017 very much either, (due to a beast FM16 save I had going) so a bit out of the loop.

Is the date and outcome of Brexit decided at the creation of a new game or is it random? I read a reply from Neil Brock from last year suggesting that the date and outcome are decided on the creation of a new game. Is this the case?

I'm in the 2nd season from the beta and I don't want my save to be affected by Brexit. I saved the game and holidayed my save last night and this morning the Premier League rules in 2024 state that there was a soft Brexit, which is great. Is this descision hardcoded into this save file now? Will the outcome always be the same on this particular save file?

If so I will not have to start a new game and turn it off and I can happily continue with my Beta save.

Thanks for any helpful replies, I hope this makes sense.

1 hour ago, monkeywool said:

From what I understand, the version of brexit is decided on game creation, so if you holiday to that time and you have soft, you'll have soft. 

Thanks, I’ve run another holiday game on the same save while at work today to double check before continuing my save.

2 hours ago, monkeywool said:

From what I understand, the version of brexit is decided on game creation, so if you holiday to that time and you have soft, you'll have soft. 

Second holiday game, the same, a soft Brexit. I also know it happened in early 2019, so I've set up a 3rd and final test to see if the date is the same and if I still get a soft Brexit.

If it's the same the third time I'll happily continue my beta save in the knowledge of Brexit not mucking up my save. :)

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Have'nt got that far in FM 18, but in FM 17 the decision was announced in mid 2019.

2 hours ago, laurencefishbone said:

Real life Brexit is March 2019, I can't imagine it will be too different from this date.

26 minutes ago, Woho said:

Thats correct, happened around that time on my save.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, it was quite hard to explain the OP. I was wondering when the game determines the date of Brexit and the outcome, not when it happens. As in when I create my new game does the game decide then when Brexit will be and what the outcome will be at the creation of the new game? Or is this a random date with a random outcome in any given save.

I'm trying to avoid a hard or normal Brexit as for me personally, it would ruin my save. So I've holidayed twice now to see if the outcome and date are fixed. After two tests I got a Soft Brexit in 2019 on both occasions, I'm doing a third now.

If these tests had returned a hard/normal brexit I would have scrapped my current save (which I'm a season into) and started again with an Editor file to prevent it. This suggests that the Brexit outcome is determined on the creation of a new game and is not random within a game save.

Basically I don't want Brexit to ruin my save, if it did, I would start again and make the soft Brexit a 100% chance in the editor. Now with these tests in holiday mode on my curent save, I'm safe in the knowledge that my save will always be a soft Brexit. So I will reload my save one season in and carry on with my Salford team. :)

Here is my outcome:

5a05983c07f62_Skjermbilde2017-11-1013_10_40.thumb.png.17304cbad18131fad747a9cf94df2808.png5a05983e34e9d_Skjermbilde2017-11-1013_13_08.thumb.png.3e365db32549cbc3fbba6c1dbcdd28c5.png

All players that was registrered before Brexit can be registrered as normal like Bellerin and Dembele here, but every signing after Brexit from outside UK will count as foreign. It feel its pretty wierd that players that you have made homegrown still have to be registrered as foreign. Thats not very homegrown to me. But as you said. This is about to ruin my save. Cant promote any of my best players from u23 as I dont have capacity to registrer them. But WPs as easy. Everyone gets one.

36 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I am sure that I read in another thread that it is randomly set at the start of a new save, so you have no guarantee as to what type of brexit you will get till it arrives.  You could always get the editor and edit it out of the game.

Yeah, it seems this is the case from holidaying the same save 3 times, I've always had a soft brexit at the same time point, so it seems the game does determine the brexit type and date on the creation of a new game.

6 minutes ago, FootballManager89 said:

I notice that players on my team from Belgium, Germany, italy, netherlands, are categorized as foreign but anthony martial from france and a player from norway aren't foreign. I still don't know if its a hard or soft brexit.

Brexit2.png

He's 27 so that means he has played in England for the at least 5 years so may have dual nationality (French/English).

2 minutes ago, FootballManager89 said:

Okay it says this:

brexit3.png

That looks like a normal brexit, so still really harsh. So all EU players now need Work Permits.

There is a harsh/hard brexit as well, which makes all current players have to apply for work permits, so that is even worse still as you could have squad full of players who can't play as they can't get work permits.

7 minutes ago, Robioto said:

He's 27 so that means he has played in England for the at least 5 years so may have dual nationality (French/English).

Its because their contracts in England started before the new Brexit system took place

7 minutes ago, kamackeris said:

There is a no Brexit fix... Should I use it or not can't decide? 

Entirely up to you. I personally will use it on every save.

It's all personal preference but I'm not a fan of it being implemented in the game at all. Others do like it which is absolutely fine, but for me personally it ruins my save and until reality is confirmed I'd prefer it not to be in the game at all especially with a random factor. Thankfully you can remove it in the editior for new games.

Thankfully my beta save (where I was unable to use the editor before hand), is a soft brexit save so I'll continue with the save in the full game. I've holidayed it three times and have always got the soft brexit outcome.

Just now, FootballManager89 said:

Does this years version of ingame editor finally allow you to move england back into the EU or do you still need other editors?

It's still early days, but it sounds like the same as last year unfortauntely.

If you are using an unedited beta save the only way to be dure of your outcome is to holiday your game, see what you get and reload your save.

2 hours ago, FootballManager89 said:

SI seems dedicated as possible to make the game as realistic as possible, but I think they should allow more customization instead of forcing us to have brexit and being forced to buy editors that can give us what we want the game to be like.

Exspecialy when they come up with rules that dont even exist today..

22 minutes ago, Woho said:

Exspecialy when they come up with rules that dont even exist today..

That's what personally annoys me most. Call me cynical but I believe it was primarily done for the newspaper headlines to gain exposure for the game.

5 hours ago, Woho said:

Here is my outcome:

5a05983c07f62_Skjermbilde2017-11-1013_10_40.thumb.png.17304cbad18131fad747a9cf94df2808.png5a05983e34e9d_Skjermbilde2017-11-1013_13_08.thumb.png.3e365db32549cbc3fbba6c1dbcdd28c5.png

All players that was registrered before Brexit can be registrered as normal like Bellerin and Dembele here, but every signing after Brexit from outside UK will count as foreign. It feel its pretty wierd that players that you have made homegrown still have to be registrered as foreign. Thats not very homegrown to me. But as you said. This is about to ruin my save. Cant promote any of my best players from u23 as I dont have capacity to registrer them. But WPs as easy. Everyone gets one.

Looks like they have closed the U21 loophole from last year :(

4 hours ago, FootballManager89 said:

SI seems dedicated as possible to make the game as realistic as possible, but I think they should allow more customization instead of forcing us to have brexit and being forced to buy editors that can give us what we want the game to be like.

You can change it with the pre-game editor for new saves:

Also the game adding in Brexit isn't all that new - since at least CM01/02 they have had various countries joining the EU when it looked likely that they would join - the likes of Serbia and Turkey tend to join the EU in FM even though nothing is set in stone yet, it's just the UK is the first to leave.

Archived