FM18 - Skinning & Graphical Changes

michaeltmurrayuk

As Football Manager 2018 has changed a few things this thread will try to collect a list of the changes, so if you have seen something that has changed then please post the details in this thread.

I'll be keeping this thread open but will delete off-topic posts and reformat others to make things easier to track.

If you want generally skinning help or information then please check out the other pinned threads.

3D Match Content

You'll notice in FM18 that the 3D stuff has now been packed into various fmf files.

The 3D stuff can be found in the various fmf files located in the \Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data\ folder

They are contained within the various simatchviewer files.

Unsure at the moment where you place any customized versions of these files you may make. (3D ball being the main one people would like to edit).

FMF file Location Changes

The location of the fmf files that contains the normal xml files for skinning has also slightly changed these are now located in the fmf files found inside the following folder:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data\game\

However some files seem to be located within the sitoolkit and fmgameextras fmf files found inside the data folder with the 3D stuff.

Layout_Children code change

Thanks to @bluestillidie00 it looks like the "layout_children" code has been changed to "apply_to_children" 

This shouldn't be a problem for people using fresh FM18 xml files, however if you are transferring files over from previous versions you'll need to update any instances of this code in your files.

Default Faces

We have several different options this year:

<record from="none" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/male/portrait"/>        
        <record from="
manager" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/male/manager/portrait"/>
        <record from="
player" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/male/player/portrait"/>
        <record from="
staff" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/male/staff/portrait"/>

<record from="none" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/female/portrait"/>        
        <record from="
manager" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/female/manager/portrait"/>
        <record from="
player" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/female/player/portrait"/>
        <record from="
staff" to="graphics/pictures/person/none/female/staff/portrait"/>

So you just need to add the above lines to your config file, and if you want them all to use the same default image you can change the name in the from bit on the left. (red bits).

Using xml files from Previous Versions

As bits of code has changed in FM18 you cannot just drop xml files from previous versions into FM18, instead you will need to re-create the files using the FM18 version as a base.

Note this doesn't apply to config files used for adding kits, logos etc.. those you can freely reuse.

Problems opening xml files in Notepad

It seems for some reason when opening xml files in Notepad they are losing all of their formatting which makes reading or editing the files difficult.

If you are planning on doing a fair bit of editing I'd recommend using https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

If you are only going to be doing a little then you should be able to open them fine using wordpad instead of notepad - you may also want to set the Word Wrap to window from the view menu.

Editing the Sidebar

Sidebar is controlled by the 'sidebar menu table' xml file found in the panels/generic folder.

it looks like the sidebar is a lot easier to edit this year removing the id bit from this line sets it to the same colour for every screen;

<container class="bordered_box" id="colm" appearance="boxes/custom/interface/sidebar/paper" red_replacement="dark accent" blue_replacement="black">

Which means you can have it recolour to each teams colour or you can change the red_replacement value to a fixed colour to have it the same everywhere, whilst changing the appearance graphic will allow you to edit the transparency of it:

First screenshot is just with the ID removed you can see it has taken the blue colour of the prem when it would normally be grey, whilst second is with the colour changed to yellow, when it would be red normaly:

capture_003_11112017_171251.thumb.png.251f5559cf83553b4fd6b42a74f17c37.pngcapture_004_11112017_171326.thumb.png.9df9dcf20972ea032b785d03157055f4.png

(A full update of the sidebar editing guide is on my list of things to do).

Contents of the New FMF Files

Football Manager 2018 has now packed some more of the game files into fmf packages and has also moved some other stuff around.

The new fmf files are located in the following location:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data\

Which contains the following files:

fmf file File Contents
shared Language files.
sigraphics 3D shaders and configs - nothing user editable, but does contain some background information people might find interesting.
sigraphics-pc Empty.
fmgameextras Contains some panel files - dialogs for workshop, cloud stuff, though most skins shouldn't need to edit any of these files.
resource archiver Contains files for the resource tool, not really needed.
simatchviewer Contains 3d jsb & sia files but you cannot edit these. Also has ads config file and sound files.
simatchviewer_uncompressed Contains fonts and video ads.
simatchviewer-pc Contains animation files, textures, 2d ads, 3d ball (mesh folder), default 3d kits (textures folder), pitch (textures folder). This is where pretty much all of the old editable 3D stuff is now located.
sitoolkit Contains widget skins which are important as contain skin graphics, other stuff is generic xml files most you shouldn't really need to edit. If skinning you'll want to extract this file to get at the skin files.
sitoolkit_uncompressed Contains the default fonts.Not really that much need to extract this one.

The ones I have bolded are the more important ones that are worth extracting depending on what you are doing,

For the xml files once you have extracted them you just treat them as normal and you could just merge them back into the standard files which are now located in the fmf files in the following location:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data\game

Football Manager Touch 2018 Files

It looks like for FM2018 both the Touch and Full Version of the game include the same files packed into the fmf files, so if you are low on hard drive space you should only need to extract the fmf files from one of the games instead of both of them if you are making content for both versions.

Though once the games start getting patched the files might go out of sync.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Luiz Gonçalves said:

Hi, @michaeltmurrayuk.

I made several attempts on my own before coming for help.

I'm trying to edit the font of a skin for Helvetica. In the default skin, the text color is all white. However, after I edit all the files inside the "fonts" folder, some letters turn black and I've tried in many ways to edit these colors, but it does not work.

In the "settings" file, I could not find the line that could be editable for these files.

What I want to edit is in the positions, team names, goalscorers, etc. 

I leave a screenshot for you to see and I hope it gives me a light.

Very thanks!

The colour of that text for some reason is controlled by the values set in the text xml file in the fonts folder rather than the settings file, locate these lines and adjust to suit:

<integer id="fill_colour_red" value="255" />
  <integer id="fill_colour_green" value="255" />
  <integer id="fill_colour_blue" value="255" />
  <integer id="fill_colour_alpha" value="255" />

If they don't exist then add them to the file (for some reason the lines aren't present for the light skin but are for the others), if you're not sure where to add them, add them just after the font size lines near the top of the file.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, jeff.fit82 said:

Hey @michaeltmurrayuk

can i make the squad view, simply white?
without this grey square?

i just want it plan and white...

20171209185501_1.jpg

Easiest method is to change the following colours in the settings file for your skin (if you using the default skin you'll need to download the base skin);

<colour name="squad_outside" red="137" green="146" blue="160"/>
<colour name="squad_substitute" red="210" green="210" blue="210"/>
<colour name="squad highlight"          value="blue 500" /> (can leave this if you still want to know which player you have selected)

Archived