The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

I'm taking it upon myself, as one of the longest serving Manchester supporters on the forums, to make a pre-emptive strike on this here forum.

As we all know, the current thread will be gone, and a fresh start shall be upon us. The fate of the entire thread rests on the shoulders of the administritive bosses, but I suggest we let it go, and look forward to a bold and new beginning.

This, my friends, is the future of Manchester United Football Club. We must be strong, for things aren't going our way. But with percerverance, and a little luck, Manchester United will soon be back to where they belong - top of the league.

My brothers, embrace the future and open your eyes to a new dawn. A dawn where the overpaid justify their fees, a dawn where the Manager opens his eyes to the glaring truths, a dawn where the old and shying come back to their previous best.

This dawn is going to f*cking ROCK

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

United to restructure deals

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has stated the club are looking to restructure the contracts of players at Old Trafford.

With many of The Red Devils stars on hefty wage packages, the club want to make around a quarter of the players' deals based on the performance of the team.

Gill has stated qualifying for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League is crucial and that any loss of income suffered by the club should be filtered through to the players.

"Getting to the Champions League group stage is critical, and it is important that players contribute to that element," said Gill.

"Part of their remuneration would be dependant on them getting into the Champions League.

"If we don't get in, our income goes down. That would be mitigated by the players' wages going down.

"It would be good if we could get 25 percent based on that second element.

"For the young players, we need to look at them having appearance-based money but they would still get a very nice basic."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good, why should they all be able to relax in the fact they are paid £70k+ a week to be crap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Yep he wants parity with Timeh who i believe is on around 50,000 a week whereas at the moment Roy is on 25,000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How the hell does an unproven American youngster who's never played outside of the MLS get a 50k a week deal? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You make sure your Agent is the manager's son!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Your views on this, post match ?

Personally, I'd have agreed with you before kick off, but that first goal was wikid. I'm warming to young Wayne rapidly.

Welcome back Darren icon14.gif ( Captain of Scotland ? icon_eek.gif ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been saying all week that we should drop Rooney and play Saha with RVN so I guess that shows you how wrong you can be icon_biggrin.gif

Rooney seems to be typical of us at the moment, great in the big games but pretty average everywhere else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

"I don't believe he will [take over the club], unless he's got a pot of gold that none of us has had any sight of," said Harris, who is chairman of the Seymour Pearce investment bank.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well he does look like a leprechaun..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Err hes trying to buy the club with borrowed money. That puts the club in half a billion of debt and leaves him the owner, he will be paying off his debts with the money the club makes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that puts him half a billion in debt. The financing structure of the club won't change as a result of a takeover. the only way how he can make money from the club to pay off his debt (if he buys the club) is from salary (if he'll have one), dividends, and sale of shares. anything other will be illegal.

I thought Eagles did well tonight. Made a few bad decisions when he got into good positions but he did offer a good outlet. Taz your always hard on players your not keen on.

Good thing with Eagles is that he's still young enough to keep learning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matt_e:

How come I've been chubbed for the Chelsea CC semi when the main site still is advertising tickets on general sale? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got 3 tickets, 2 for non members, not in the stand I asked for though.

attacking wise we had a lot of possession, but our crossing and finishing was not good enough, players seemed to be getting in the way of each other and the one touch short passing shouldn't be the only option. I was actually hoping that we'd bring on Bellion for some reason, just had the feeling he'd tap in a scrappy second and finish the game off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris CUFC:

How do the arrangements normally work for the away legs? Is it season ticket holders only? As a member I'm hopeful for the home leg. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*coughs*

Bit more on the fight that was reported earlier.

'Two brawls at ManYoo Xmas party'

The Manchester United Christmas party twice erupted into mass brawls after Darren Fletcher and Rio Ferdinand were punched, says The Sun.

The party at Manchester's Prohibition bar twice kicked off big time - with players like Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville piling in to help their teammates.

The first brawl started just before midnight when a 'spotty friend of a reserve team player' punched Darren Fletcher, knocking him to the floor.

Neville, Rooney, Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand all piled in to help out Fletcher - but the trouble was apparently soon calmed.

Then at about 2.30am a mysterious 'man in a white suit' punched Ferdinand, seemingly out of the blue. So the by-now drunk players all piled in once again to have another brawl.

The players are said to have drunk £50,000-worth of champagne before leaving the club at 5am.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gifFact or fiction:

To begin, a free for all that isn't strictly fact or fiction but follows the same principle of predicting the near immediate future...

1) Who will we sign? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

eg. Mark Schwarzer/Permanent (Pre-contract)

2) Who will we sell? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/to which club/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

eg. Kleberson/Werder Bremen/Loan

Now on to the proper stuff...

3) Glazer will mount a full takeover bid

(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton

b) Villa

c) Boro

d) Spurs

e) Exeter (FA Cup)

(nb. I am not including replays.)

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg)

g) Liverpool

h) Aston Villa

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Home Leg)

5) Ruud will be back by the Liverpool game (15/01/05).

6) We will be less than 9 points behind Chelsea at the end of January.

7) Giggs will have signed a new contract by the end of January.

8) Roy Carroll will have signed a new contract by the end of January.

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

10) Should we get there, we will have a home tie in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Roy Carroll is a dependable shot stopper but thats where his qualities start and end. All too many times do i find myself saying a Schmic, Cudicini, Cech, Lehmann would have save a shot. And then you have the fact he never comes off his line. I am left in panic everytime a team get a corner, free kick or just cross it into the box because i know Roy wont come and claim it even if its in his 6 yard box. If he did it would stop a whole lot of panic.

Everyone is going on about who should play up top with Smith against Boro but hasnt anyone realised we have played 4-5-1 for months now with Smithy up top on his own, a 3 man midfield and advanced wingers?

I know Fletcher will play so the team is obviously going to be:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Carroll

G.Nev Ferdinand Silvestre Heinze

Fletcher Keane Scholes

Ronaldo Giggs

Smith

</pre>

Inter monitor Giggs talks

Internazionale are carefully monitoring Ryan Giggs's contractual dispute with Manchester United.

The Welsh winger has been in wonderful form for United since being deployed in a more central attacking role and sparkled again in the New Year's Day win at Middlesbrough.

Sir Alex Ferguson is determined to retain the long-serving star but United's policy is to offer one-year extensions to players in their thirties. Giggs is seeking a two-year deal and, despite the prospect of there being an option to remain at Old Trafford for an additional 12 months, talks have stalled.

The 31-year-old wants to remain with The Red Devils and all parties are determined to thrash out an agreement.

Nevertheless, Inter are long-term admirers of Giggs and he is being viewed as an alternative to Aparecido Cesar if their bid for the Lazio wide man stalls.

Nerazzurri supremo Massimo Moratti is known to be a great fan of the player and has tried to buy him in the past.

If Cesar does not arrive from Lazio then the expectation in Milan is that Inter will bid for Giggs's services providing the Welshman decides to sever his ties with United.

However, Inter are understood to be awaiting developments as their belief is that the former England Schoolboys captain will stay in Manchester.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

If he puts the same team out in the replay i think we'll lose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you saw the line-up you really couldn't see us scoring could you? I wouldn't bet on it in a replay either.

Surely if Saha is back by then, he must start, O'Shea, Fortune as well, though the midfield is what needs an overhaul, you aren't gonna get too many goals from Miller/Djemba/Richardson/Eagles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark g:

Trying to think who the ugly player would be. Phil Neville is married, and Chadwick has gone icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To jog your mind, here's tonight's reserve team to face Villa icon_wink.gif

Tom Heaton, Phil Picken, Lee Lawrence, Adam Eckersley, Floribert Ngalula, David Fox, Chris Eagles, Keiran Richardson , David Jones, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake & Giuseppe Rossi.

Subs: Poole, Crockett, Cooper, Collett, Hogg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

check's pictures on FM <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its jones i think

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

can't we agree a contract with Gravesen without speaking to Everton?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no as we're in the same country, stupid rule if you ask me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But didn't Campbell sign a pre-contract with Arsenal while he was at Spurs?

What about Bellion, he signed a pre-contract with us in the January. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the rules must have been changed then, because I remember Gill pointing out that Carroll could only talk to foreign clubs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rule is still that you can sign a pre-contract with anyone once your inside the last 6 months of your contract as far as i know. Carroll or Graveson can just sign for anyone they want without the club being able to do a thing.

Everyone in the media is saying that Howard was at fault for the goal and should of come out for it. If he had come out for it and Gudjohnson had headed into the net, he would of been blamed aswell. The thing is these media people are the same people who were praising Howard as the next Schmeichel last season. No mention of the three World Class saves he made during the second half.

TMCFOAD! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can think of 2 decent ones, one from a Lampard shot that was at a nice height, and the one he kicked away that was a good save from Robben. Certainly not "world class" though. Which was the third?

I agree on the goal, i think it was one of those difficult ones where it's extremely hard for the keeper, due to having to decide whether to stay in case someone gets a touch, or go assuming they don't. However, i think the criticism has come because he did nothing, and indeed he appeared frozen on (behind icon_wink.gif) his line. Personally, i'd rather he do something positive than do nothing. Had he come forward to punch, he could possibly have got there before any potential touch by a forward. I don't think it was in any way a howler, though. More a "could do better".

Archived