Question about CL/EL qualification

Hey guys,

so I am playing as a team from Austria, finished 2nd in the league in the first season and qualified for the CL quali. So I got AEK in the 2nd round and won both games, got PSV in the 3rd round lost the first and drew the second game which got me knocked out of the CL. So far so good.

Here is my question. Wouldnt I play the EL Playoffs then ? I got placed automatically into the EL groups without any kind of qualifiying games in the EL. Is this the new CL/EL format then because I tried looking it up on the internet and only found that the teams eliminated from the CL playoffs get placed in the EL groups.

If anyone has a better insight please answer, thank you :)

Based on FM17, I'm not sure if the RL rules have changed.

CL 3rd Qual phase losers should go to EL playoffs with winners of that in the EL group stage.

CL playoff losers go straight to EL groups.

EDIT

Just looked at some RL results and the above seems right so if you've gone straight to EL groups from being a CL 3rd Q loser it sounds like a bug which should be raised in the bugs forum.

Maybe I should have worded it better. I finished the first season and now I am in the 2nd season = 2nd international season too. Is there an upcoming change for the 18/19 CL/EL season maybe ?

5 minutes ago, Alerion said:

Maybe I should have worded it better. I finished the first season and now I am in the 2nd season = 2nd international season too. Is there an upcoming change for the 18/19 CL/EL season maybe ?

Hmmm looked at the 2018/19 rules and there have been some changes.

This is from wiki:

Third qualifying round

The third qualifying round is split into two separate sections: Champions Path (for league champions) and League Path (for league non-champions). The losers from the Champions Path enter the 2018–19 UEFA Europa League play-off round, while the losers from the League Path enter the 2018–19 UEFA Europa League group stage.

Given you finished 2nd you follow the "League Path" which suggests FM is right and you go straight to the EL group stage.

EDIT

Seems a little backwards that the non champions go straight to the group stage while champions have an extra round but I imagine champions maybe entered later?

Archived