The Thomas Tuchel Approach - A Tactical Project

5 minutes ago, davehibb said:

@Gegenklaus how's the project coming along?

I've just completed my first season with BVB, winning the Bundesliga and Super Pokal and at the start of season two, we are very impressive indeed.

The system I'm using isn't a replication of anyone's, just fitting in the guys we had in the squad, supplemented by a few signings.

SK-D
WBR-S
WBL-S
CD-D
CD-D
DLP-D
CM-S
MEZ-S
RW-S
IF-A
AF-A

That's the basic set up. PEA had 37 goals in 33 games in the Bundesliga. So far he has 7 in 3 in season two. Needless to say, I'm quite enjoying it. :D

Hey, haven't had the time to play recently but thinking about beginning a new save. Ive never did much with training and personel. Focused solely on tactics. 

Nice to hear you are having fun. Dortmund got a exciting squad of unique players (Auba, Reus, Dahoud, Weigl and Pulisic). Weigl is my favorite together with Auba. He is so consistent if we put him in the right system where He acts as a focal point. You clearly managed that. Impressive! :D

What mentality did you play on? And did you use any TI's?

Im interested in your CM(S). Who did you play there? I've seen Dahoud shine in that role. :)

5 minutes ago, Gegenklaus said:

Hey, haven't had the time to play recently but thinking about beginning a new save. Ive never did much with training and personel. Focused solely on tactics. 

Nice to hear you are having fun. Dortmund got a exciting squad of unique players (Auba, Reus, Dahoud, Weigl and Pulisic). Weigl is my favorite together with Auba. He is so consistent if we put him in the right system where He acts as a focal point. You clearly managed that. Impressive! :D

What mentality did you play on? And did you use any TI's?

Im interested in your CM(S). Who did you play there? I've seen Dahoud shine in that role. :)

I started on Attacking/Structured but toned it back to Control/Structured as it did seem just a little too rushed on Attacking. TI's are minimal, close down more, higher line, prevent Gk distribution and pass into space.

Yep Dahoud performed very well at CM-S for me alongside Milinkovic-Savic at MEZ-S.

Had to let Weigl go at the start of season 2, £60m to City but I brough in Diawara as his replacement.

1 minute ago, davehibb said:

I started on Attacking/Structured but toned it back to Control/Structured as it did seem just a little too rushed on Attacking. TI's are minimal, close down more, higher line, prevent Gk distribution and pass into space.

Yep Dahoud performed very well at CM-S for me alongside Milinkovic-Savic at MEZ-S.

Had to let Weigl go at the start of season 2, £60m to City but I brough in Diawara as his replacement.

Why the mentality? And why structured? :)

Ah, Savic, a player I want to try out. You didnt tweak the CM(S) right? Ive began tweaking it then reversed back to default because I really love the movement of the CM(S). With Dahouds workrate and vision he then really makes an impact on the midfield. 

Nooo, dont let that beautiful boy go! Nice replacement though! 

Are you guys managing to at least get the ball in to the box or have you found this ME makes your players shoot at goal from anywhere outside the area even if they have passing options available, be it outside or in the area.

1 hour ago, axehan1 said:

Are you guys managing to at least get the ball in to the box or have you found this ME makes your players shoot at goal from anywhere outside the area even if they have passing options available, be it outside or in the area.

Yes, most of goals scored is within the penalty box. 

12 hours ago, axehan1 said:

Are you still playing based on your opening post or have you modified your tactic?

Modified a lot. I went more minimal in terms of TI. It was ever changing though based on who I was playing against. 

5 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

Modified a lot. I went more minimal in terms of TI. It was ever changing though based on who I was playing against. 

Maybe you can show a few examples how you adapt. The why and the how in examples? :D 

7 hours ago, Yoeri said:

Maybe you can show a few examples how you adapt. The why and the how in examples? :D 

I am no veteran with tactics but I always go with the following:

- Always have one central defender more than opposition's striker(s). 

- If They field an AMC, I will field a dmc to nullify him.

- Always have a strong central presence. If oppositions field 3 various kinds of midfielders I will do the same. The 4-1-4-1 is very flexible in this regard as one of the wide attackers can be told to cut inside and sit narrower. 

- Always think about How I Can build from the back. If I face a deep 4-1-4-1 I field a 4-2-3-1 as the 2 central defenders should have no problem bringing the Ball up because opposition only has 1 forward. If I face a 4-2-3-1 I field the 4-1-4-1, if They press hard making it difficult for us to build from the back, my DM turns into a half back. 

This is all relative though. It all depends on opposition's strength. :)

and btw, this isnt something I have invented. Most of these thoughts comes from Özil-to-arsenal's threads and Bophonets take on Tuchel in terms of FM. 

I am having a lot of fun playing this way. It does require versatile players who can play on various positions. 

On 23-12-2017 at 23:38, Gegenklaus said:

I am no veteran with tactics but I always go with the following:

- Always have one central defender more than opposition's striker(s). 

- If They field an AMC, I will field a dmc to nullify him.

- Always have a strong central presence. If oppositions field 3 various kinds of midfielders I will do the same. The 4-1-4-1 is very flexible in this regard as one of the wide attackers can be told to cut inside and sit narrower. 

- Always think about How I Can build from the back. If I face a deep 4-1-4-1 I field a 4-2-3-1 as the 2 central defenders should have no problem bringing the Ball up because opposition only has 1 forward. If I face a 4-2-3-1 I field the 4-1-4-1, if They press hard making it difficult for us to build from the back, my DM turns into a half back. 

This is all relative though. It all depends on opposition's strength. :)

and btw, this isnt something I have invented. Most of these thoughts comes from Özil-to-arsenal's threads and Bophonets take on Tuchel in terms of FM. 

I am having a lot of fun playing this way. It does require versatile players who can play on various positions. 

How do you play against 4-4-2? :) 

2 hours ago, Yoeri said:

How do you play against 4-4-2? :) 

I line up in the 3-3-2-2 (WB and DM). The DM might not be necessary and Can be moved up. But following Tuchel's principles I always have a deep lying midfielder who organises ball retention and screens for the defense. :)

with this formation, I get a 3v2 in defense, usually a 3v2 in midfield and 2v2 in attack. 

Archived