Tactic Book

Hi, ChristianEriksen here (FM-Base user). Many years I had so much fun playing the Football Manager game. But last year editions I’m dissappointed. Let me explain this further. I have a vision about football. I am a coach of a youth team myself. And the first thing I asked a friend who’d played the Beta: “did they change the tactical screen?”

Nope. Not into a more realistic setup. And I can’t understand this. There are so many different building up movements, closing down styles and not just short with long passing and heavy and less closing down. It has also to do with the manner. And I can go on in depth.

Football has been played within four general phases. Attack, defense and the transition between those. In evere aspect of the game there should be different team instructions, players instructions and a different movement (formation). Further more, most trainers have in mind there are 3 phases at the field. The build up own half (phase 1), just over the halfway line (phase 2) and just around the opposition box (phase 3). In all phases, trainers ask different instructions, walk lines and formations to improve the play.

But now, it’s just selecting one team instructions setup, player instructions, one role, one dutie and that for every phase in football. And I totally understand they act different in the own half than the opposition half. But I expected more in depth. Just like in reality. Let me come up with ideas.

DEFENSE

- The defensive line

- Select type of defensive formation (many teams defend in an another formation than they attack with)

- Room for creatvitity?

- Which players have to be in the defensive compactness?

- Man or zonal defense.

ATTACK TRANSITION TO DEFENSE

- (Again) The defensive line. Some teams want to press high right after they lose possession, but walk back after it takes too long receiving the ball.

- How to press.

- Select how many seconds you want this transition (style) to play.

- Stay attacking minded (for the ball and waiting on last line) or defensive minded (behind the ball and compact)

ATTACK

- Select type of attacking formation (many teams defend in an another formation than they defense with)

- Play through middle

- Play wide

- Play through middle and than wide

- Play wide and than throug middle

- Maybe something who will be involved during phase 1, 2 and 3.

- Passing style of each phase.

- Room for creativity?

DEFENSE TO ATTACK TRANSITION

- Play back to get in shape again.

- Play forward to counter.

- Use a short, direct, mixed passing.

- How long does this phase take for your team.

(And which players have to be involved in the build up PHASE 1, right after the halfway line PHASE 2 and for PHASE 3 the attack. If I do select a wingback he will immediately play before the ball, but I want him to play behind the ball till the last phase, f.e.)

And I can go on with this to make it even more realistic. At this moment I can’t get my football vision to work and that frustrates. For example, I like to play with a DM, wingers and just 1 striker. This whole setup is so much less effective, even though I want in the last phase of the pitch as many people in and around the box as a 3 strikers tactic does. And I want as many players in defense as the 3 at the back tactics, who are so overpowered. But I use a DM, leak so many goals in comparison with an extra CB. I like the closing down of different trainers. In my vision I want the opposition to play to the RCB. My left winger will press immediately and my left back will immediately press the right back (RB) who’s left behind and likely to play into. My defense will switch to the left side to pick up the RW of the opposition.

If I do this manually, my back will mark the back of the opposition. Impossible to select. Within my ideas I hope SI will pick up some to make the game more attractive (for some). The game is so good, but for the real tacticians it could be even better. I hope to hear from you, SI.

Anyone with a sensible answer, as I think it should be a great feature in the next FM. And logic, as I said, football is being played within these four phases and in every aspect trainers have different instructions. F.e. they like to press high after losing possession (transition attack to defense) and after no getting the ball after X  seconds they will drop deeper (defense). And I can go on with this, like fast and direct passing after winning the ball (or just pass it back to get in shape) - in transition attack to defense - and after X seconds (attack phase) they like to play with shorter passing. And so on, and on.

This could be a great feature, but unlike real life, FM is a game, and all this depth would never work.

Games need to have patterns, things that can happen more frequently,ex: this year, a lot of crosses are reflected by the keeper, you grab a team, win real madrid,barcelona with clean sheets, then lose for the worst team in the league in home.

Real life football will always be better,more complex and complete, stick to your team and accept that.

30 minutes ago, masno said:

This could be a great feature, but unlike real life, FM is a game, and all this depth would never work.

Games need to have patterns, things that can happen more frequently,ex: this year, a lot of crosses are reflected by the keeper, you grab a team, win real madrid,barcelona with clean sheets, then lose for the worst team in the league in home.

Real life football will always be better,more complex and complete, stick to your team and accept that.

Why couldn't we make a start with select different team instructions for each phase (attack, defense and the transition between those)? Than we don't even have to talk about different walking lines, formations, etc. I shouldn't be that hard to make a tactic which has different team instructions for each phase. Like I said before, right after losing possession immediately press and when you don't have the ball in about ten seconds the team will drop back.

52 minutes ago, Tactic Book said:

Why couldn't we make a start with select different team instructions for each phase (attack, defense and the transition between those)? Than we don't even have to talk about different walking lines, formations, etc. I shouldn't be that hard to make a tactic which has different team instructions for each phase. Like I said before, right after losing possession immediately press and when you don't have the ball in about ten seconds the team will drop back.

Because it would be robotic. Every time would be the same animation,and everybody will say "every time the same highlight".

We don't have a good tecnology yet to get in the smart AI that would do things more fluidity, without look like a machine.

Mate, you have a vision about football and you've expressed it very well via this suggestion. I completely agree with this, 100%.

But let me tell you this. When I saw your suggestion, I immediately felt like my vision about training can be completed.
Imagine if the 4 phases you describe could somehow be linked with Defensive Positioning, Attacking Movement or the other areas in the Tactic Familiarity Levels:
image.png.940e38094bd0de912168ed61b5b3d81e.png

My opinion? One step closer to realism.

Great and detailed suggestion. I think it would take FM to a whole new level of football simulation & realism... but even if the suggestion is picked up by the SI team right away it's likely not going to happen for at least a good few editions in my opinion. Would take a lot of reworking the entire tactics & player roles model, clarifying the logic behind the whole tactical system and then redoing a lot of the rules on the match engine to display all of this, both for the user's team movement and AI for opponents reacting to the tactics.
I'd love to see this as part of the direction in which FM will go towards in the future, I think it's suggestions like these that will take the game forward.

This. This is what I've always wanted in FM! While all this isn't possible to make, one thing that would add another level of depth would be to have tempo broken down in 2 parts: passing urgency(risk) and time on the ball. The ability to make a team pass the ball around very quickly, one or two touches and still be very pacient and cautious on the passes they pick, passing the ball around before eventually being agressive.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @Tactic Book, "Christian Eriksen" this thread has been reviewed and as a result I am closing it off.

I used to coach football at Academy level and I gained many badges from my work coaching in England and Abroad, so appreciate you taking the time to input here.

I hope you continue to enjoy FM18 and you also have a great season with your youth team :)

Cheers,

Nic

Archived