6 ideas on how we can make FM better. Thoughts?

dewhirst

These are the changes I would love to see in the game. If you guys have anything you'd like to add to them, or have any opinions on whether or not they would work/be good in the game, i'd love to hear your feedback.

1. Manager to manager relationships.

A big part of football these days is the manager to manager relationships. Remember the days of Benitez vs Mourinho, Fergie vs Keegan. Then we have the other side with Klopp and Wagner. In FM we have other managers who are liked and disliked in the manager profile, but this doesn't really come across in the game, and there aren't any "storylines" really relating to this. It also appears to be random, as managers that I would like to build a positive relationship with are under disliked within my profile. There should be a stronger emphasis on manager relationships, with the ability to talk about another team/manager in your press conference (without waiting for the question). In real life Mourinho and Conte are at war, without them actually playing each other. 

2. Pundits

With the influx of Sky Sports, BBC Sport and BT Sport, pundits have a massive impact on what us fans think about football. They have also in recent times impacted directly on team selection with Karius dropped by Klopp after being hammered in the media for some mistakes. Within the game it would be good to have some pundits who can comment on your games when something is great, or really bad. On their profile it could have their opinion about you, whether it be like, dislike or indifferent. You could also get an email telling you about the things that were talked about on TV and radio that week. Maybe one of your players was slated in the media for lack of effort, or they were raving about how amazing your new striker is? Right now there is a bit of media feedback when someone is in form, but it isn't consistently from the same sources like it is in the real world.

3. Club Ambassadors 

I mentioned this, probably a year ago to the day. When a young talent is going around the youth academies trying to decide which team he should join, quite often they have an ex-player/legend of the club talk to the kid and his family to convince him to join that particular club. It would be great if you could hire an ex-player, someone who is an Icon or Legend at your club as an Ambassador. All that would change is on Youth Intake day it would say that 'x' player joined the youth team after being impressed with 'x' ambassador and wanted to become the next 'x' at the club. 

4. Interviews with players after big matches

After most matches the players are interviewed. I think if we had player post match interviews after every game it would get boring fast, however after big matches (title challenging, relegation battles, cup semi finals and finals), it would be great to have a player interview. It could come into your news feed as a general report as to what was said. How are you settling in at your new club? What did you think of the match? Are you happy with your playing time? How do you feel after such a big win/loss. etc.

5. More options on the press conferences.

This has been mentioned hundreds of times, but it really is time to get some new writing done. I literally know the follow up question every time and what my answer is going to be, because i've pressed the buttons that many times. I know managers often say the same thing in press conferences, but there are more ways to word it than one or two. Let's make press conferences more engaging. Once you've played one FM game for 2 seasons, you have seen pretty much everything with press conferences and it becomes boring and something you just hand over to your AM.

Last one.

6. Take it to the corner. Correct me if i'm wrong, but this isn't a shout or an instruction. We have the waste time instruction, but i've never actually seen players take the ball into the corner when trying to wind down the clock. It would be a good little addition. 

That's all I can think of for now. 

I think the media and manager relationships can be improved a lot. Also, more interaction with the players and more sense of player personalities. 

It sounds dumb, but once my team is full of regens, i would mind a Soccer AM type interview where i find out who wears the worst clothes, who is the joker and who is the locker room DJ haha.

Thoughts?

I liked #3 and #6 and hope that will be put focus on by the FM creators. 

#1 isn't that important for me, but kinda cool if you build up a rivaly between managers that follows them even if they change clubs. 

#2, #4 & #5 is parts I send to the assistance manager anyway, so here I am not in a good position to have any valid opinions about. I just think it takes too much reading and time to care about it since I feel the outcome isn't that huge impact to spend that time on it. So make it even more reading and time consuming would make it less attractive for me to take part of it. But what is nice with FM people choose different areas they like to focus on, so if media is a focus for some people I hope that they improve this area of the game as well. 

These are good ideas 

Especially #6. Proper timewasting shouts (separate from tactical setups which also force you to drop deeper) are desperately needed, as is AI implementation. Sides rarely ever waste time in FM situations where they usually would IRL, and even when they do it consists of lower risk passing and slightly longer delays rather than the ploys sides actually use.

Archived