“Can’t load save game” (FM17)

Hi,

I always save my game and then close down my laptop. I never exit FM or shut down the computer completly. So this morning I accidently cut the power (battery is dead) and after restart I cant load my save game. What can I do? Can I restore my computer 24 hours back or something? Will it work? :-(

If you mean 'System Restore', then no. That feature won't work with files.

I'm assuming you don't have backups turned on. In that case, what I'd suggest you do is go into your 'Documents' folder > 'Sports Interactive' > 'Football Manager 2017' > 'games'. Right click on your save file, and in the 'Properties' pop-up, click on 'Previous Versions'. If Windows can find an old version of the save file, you can restore it from there.

Ok. Will try it. It seems odd. I always save my game because Windows sometimes updates and closes down everything. If I shut down the pc my self with FM open then no problems loading the game again. But if the power goes then game is doomed?! I have tried it before. Cant understand why. I mean.. there is a saved file on the laptop :-( Just bought David Silva back to home to canary islands....

When the 'Saving' screen disappears, that doesn't mean the saving process has finished. The game will still be saving in the background for roughly another 15-30 seconds. If power is interrupted at any point during that process, the file will most likely be corrupted.

Some tips to help for the future:

1. Turn on 'Automatic Backups' (if your HDD/SSD has plenty of spare space).
  2. Don't quit the game or turn off the power until at least 30 seconds after the 'Saving' screen disappears. I usually wait for nearly a minute, just to be extra safe.
  3. Always shut down your computer the regular way. Don't hard shutdown (i.e. by holding down the power button) unless you absolutely have to.

Archived