Unhappy with Training

I keep getting players complaining about the extra training they have been asked to do. I've taken it down to light, and eventually removed individual trading altogether. I've tried a lot of things - telling them they have to step up ( doesn't work, and leads to a row); telling them their level of training is impressive (counter-intuitive) but they're still unhappy; I've already given four youth players free transfers to see if that terrifies the rest of them into being less workshy. When it's a first team player, who's not getting as much game time as he might like I've tried starting him. Nope. It's happened with players who are playing regularly and well, but lessening their load does nothing.

I certainly can and is an indication of players with low professionalism and unlikely to improve much, but good players also complain. I've just tried something new with my training program which I'll give a few months to see what effect it has, altho' doubtless Cleon already has all the answers!

I'm a lower-league side and am just into 2020. Until now in my General Training I've had the setting on Cohesion High/Very High to get the players fully gelled. Yes, it's taken my 2.5 years! In that time any attempts to add individual training programs were met with howls of protest. Now I've finally maxed the Cohesion bar, I've put General Training to Balanced/Low and put every player on individual training programs (heavy settings).

So what I'm suggesting is that if your General Training is too high, they can't cope with individual extra programs, so reduce your General in order to focus more on Individual.

11 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I certainly can and is an indication of players with low professionalism and unlikely to improve much, but good players also complain. I've just tried something new with my training program which I'll give a few months to see what effect it has, altho' doubtless Cleon already has all the answers!

I'm a lower-league side and am just into 2020. Until now in my General Training I've had the setting on Cohesion High/Very High to get the players fully gelled. Yes, it's taken my 2.5 years! In that time any attempts to add individual training programs were met with howls of protest. Now I've finally maxed the Cohesion bar, I've put General Training to Balanced/Low and put every player on individual training programs (heavy settings).

So what I'm suggesting is that if your General Training is too high, they can't cope with individual extra programs, so reduce your General in order to focus more on Individual.

Thanks - They're already on Light, delicate little darlings that they are. I think I might turn into a fire breathing draconian and just start clearing them outthe moment they open their cheepers. After it's been going for a while what the overall consensus on the whole business of team dynamics is. You seem to be getting some results from taking it into account.

Question: Does "criticize training level" do anything in this regard? It doesn't seem to. People who hate training, I use it on them and they usually admit they could do better, but then they simply whine like a baby. Maybe criticize training level is purely for stat gains and not for training happiness?

On 12/10/2017 at 12:08, Steewen said:

Doesn't seem to make any difference. But I think it is a good indicator whether a player has got the ambition to make it. 

This.

I don't ignore it though, because it is showing me that this player is ready to let the team down in terms of his individual development.

Most of the time the complaint I get is that the targeted training I give them (like passing, or stamina) isn't working. My coaches suggest I change it to something else. I find that if I leave it they won't grow anyway, so I might as well change it to something they like.

The other type of complaint is that the schedule is too heavy for their taste, particularly when I have them under move training with a coach. I usually don't concede there, if I want them to learn a move I feel that's important stuff. What I try to do is give them a day off every now and then so they'll hate me less.

The players that seem to complain all the time from lack of professionalism, those will also have a coach mention about their laid back approach to training. Those I tend to ignore and they get added to my mental list of players to consider discarding. Once I decide that they are getting sold, I remove their training, 'cause why bother.

19 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Question: Does "criticize training level" do anything in this regard?

I don't know if it helps with training happiness, but if the interaction goes well it adds to their morale and it adds a bit to how much they like you (which also helps), and I do get the feeling they put in a bit more effort in training after that conversation.

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Question: Does "criticize training level" do anything in this regard? It doesn't seem to. People who hate training, I use it on them and they usually admit they could do better, but then they simply whine like a baby. Maybe criticize training level is purely for stat gains and not for training happiness?

All I can say is I always scold the players who get criticised by the assman in the monthly report, and they always promise to try harder. And they do - at least they don't get reported a second consecutive month. I do only keep reasonably professional players though - too much shirking and they're out.

I'll also add that I get weekly reports from my staff that half the darlings are complaining about their heavy workloads (even professional ones). This happens when I impose individual programs whilst General is Low. Their workloads are fine, I know it, so I ignore those grumbles so long as they are otherwise happy and avoiding injuries.

Archived