Libero problems

(I have posted this in this forum rather than the tactical forum as it is meant as a match engine discussion rather than a tactical discussion).

I have tried to use the Libero on both support and attack duty, yet have encountered match engine problems when using both.

When using a Libero on support he is supposed to step into midfield once possession is secured, however he just sits alongside the other two CBs at all times, whether on the ball or off the ball, even when possession is secured. He never once steps beyond the defensive line.

When using a Libero on attack he is supposed to run higher up the pitch and offer a goalscoring threat from distance. And when I use this role, he actually does step into the midfield, which is great (although he never goes beyond the DM position). However, the other two CBs don't seem to realise that the Libero has stepped into midfield, and so they stand on either side of the pitch, leaving a huge gap where a third CB would be if he was not a Libero (see below, the Libero is number 5). Marking tight does not stop them from doing this.

Has anybody else encountered similar problems?

librero.png

I have only fiddled around with the Libero once (on FM17), and I experienced the same kind of behaviour. He positions like a defender when on support, and a rather deep midfielder when on attack, just like you say. It would have been an interesting role to use if it worked.

Archived