FM:18 Best Scottish Teams to Manage

Jamesbfc1887

I'm looking to start a save in Scotland not in the 8th tier or something but in the Premiership or Championship but obviously not Celtic (too easy).

It would be the type of save that I would probably write about, being exactly the type of level of team I like to manage  (English Championship to League 2).

I like a bit of narrative as well so if anyone with a slightly better knowledge of Scotland as any inspiration for me.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :).

Cheers. 

Dundee Utd?  Currently in the Championship, could try resurrect them and bring back the glory days of the 80s.  One league title back in 1983, only Sir Alex has won the title outside the Old Firm since.  Reached the European Cup SF in '84 and the Uefa Cup final in '87 (beating Barca on the way).  

Could try and bring Ryan Gauld back to the club and build a team around him.  Plus you'd have the Dundee derby and the New Firm derby (vs Aberdeen).

Clyde would also be pretty interesting.  Unlucky not to reach the top flight quite a few times in the mid 00s before hitting financial difficulties and tumbling down the leagues.  Got good wee stadium so you'd be good that way if you were able to drag them back up.  Got a pretty decent record in the Scottish Cup (6 finals, W3 L3) despite their highest ever finish in the top flight being 3rd.

1 hour ago, celtic_fc said:

Dundee Utd?  Currently in the Championship, could try resurrect them and bring back the glory days of the 80s.  One league title back in 1983, only Sir Alex has won the title outside the Old Firm since.  Reached the European Cup SF in '84 and the Uefa Cup final in '87 (beating Barca on the way).  

Could try and bring Ryan Gauld back to the club and build a team around him.  Plus you'd have the Dundee derby and the New Firm derby (vs Aberdeen).

Clyde would also be pretty interesting.  Unlucky not to reach the top flight quite a few times in the mid 00s before hitting financial difficulties and tumbling down the leagues.  Got good wee stadium so you'd be good that way if you were able to drag them back up.  Got a pretty decent record in the Scottish Cup (6 finals, W3 L3) despite their highest ever finish in the top flight being 3rd.

Thanks, I had thought about Dundee Utd a sort of fallen "giants" so to speak.

I remember that team probably about 5 years ago now with Gauld, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Çiftçi etc... and the potential it had before it was ripped apart by bigger spenders like yourselves (not having a go or anything) but something I can resonate with being a Barnsley fan (a bit like Aberdeen's team now), never to be seen again.

I'll definitely give them a think. :)

2 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Aberdeen, the club where Fergie made his name by breaking the Old Firm duopoly and taking them to Europe. They haven't won jack **** apart from a 2014 League Cup in the last 20 years.

Thanks

Another team I'd thought about they also seem to have their best players stolen by other clubs e.g. Ryan Jack. And always seem to be the plucky runners up to Celtic.

They don't seem to ever win anything either, which is the one thing you can have a do at Derek McInnes for.

It would definitely be a challenge to do what he has failed to do and knock them of their perch.

Falkirk are probably a reasonable shout too. Decent Championship squad, always looked like they could come up but have lost out in the playoffs in the last 3 seasons, really struggling this season irl.

Greenock Morton F.C.

(from wiki)

Greenock Morton Football Club is a Scottish professional football club, which will play in the Scottish Championship in 2017–18. The club was founded as Morton Football Club in 1874, making it one of the oldest senior Scottish clubs. Morton was renamed Greenock Morton in 1994 to celebrate the links with its home town of Greenock.

Morton won the Scottish Cup in 1922, and achieved its highest league finish in 1916–17, as runners-up to champions Celtic. Morton holds the record for the most promotions to and relegations from the top flight (10 promotions and 10 relegations), but has not competed in the top flight of the Scottish football league system since 1988. In 2014–15, Morton won its tenth league title in all divisions by winning the Scottish League One championship on the final day.

During the Second World War 'guest' players were common at clubs throughout Great Britain. Morton was particularly fortunate in this respect in that two of English football's greatest ever players turned out at Cappielow. Sir Stanley Matthews[8] and Tommy Lawton[9] made several guest appearances for Morton. When Morton reached the 1948 Scottish Cup Final both players sent telegrams wishing good luck to their former club. Matthews simply said 'I am delighted to see Morton reach the final of the Scottish Cup'.[citation needed] Lawton's was more expressive, he said 'Memories of happy days during the war at Cappielow compel me to wish the Morton manager & the boys all the best of luck in their cup final at Hampden

Decent stadium... The current capacity is 11,589

Archived